Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Traffic yesterday

Damn you bigger crowds!

What was it like where you parked yesterday?

Other side of Charlton Park trying to get back to Shooters Hill Lane was a nightmare, was still on Charlton Park Lane at 5.45 having moved about 20yds in half an hour. Everywhere around was gridlocked. Was the same after the Donny play off.

im sure the roads used to cope better with 27k in the Prem

Comments

• Got there early to park in Thorntree Road for a faster getaway. Big mistake. Took ages to crawl along as far as Blackheath Standard.

• Traffic very light, got away no problem but did leave before the tunnel jump.
  • Terrible towards the Blackwall Tunnel.
  • Traffic very light, got away no problem but did leave before the tunnel jump.
    Ditto this ^
    Parked up in Cemetery Lane mega early to get a spot.
  • 100% Agree with this.  

Traffic was a nightmare before the match too. It took over 20 mins to get off the  M25 onto the A2 & then the A2 was stop/start from Bexley. In the end we came off at Falconwood & went via Shooters Hill instead of carrying on to The Sun in the Sands. Left Swanley at 1pm & parked in Charlton Park at 2.15. Last few years we've been getting to the ground around 1.45 & parking in one of the side roads off Charlton Lane but this season we've only managed to do that once. 

Getting home wasn't quite as bad as you mentioned but the traffic along HaHa Road was busier than usual & again the A2 was stop/start too.

Oh for the days in League one when we were able to park outside the Sam Bartranm turnstiles & be home within 45 mins of the final whistle. I wish all the plastics would crawl back into their holes......😁
  • Dont drive anymore as parking is a nightmare
    But trains were a nightmare as well
    So we ended  up walking to westcombe park station
  • I blame the new IKEA 
  • Left at the final whistle and home in Belvedere at 5.20. Park top of Charlton Lane. 
  • Always used to park on the far side of Charlton Park but have now switched to the other side of Shooters Hill - Hervey Road or similar. 10 mins longer to walk but a lot quicker getting on the road.
  • Got really lucky yesterday. Arrived at 14.30 and managed to find a great space on Inigo Jones Road by Charlton Park. Saw the tunnel jump from the Covered End then a brisk walk and we escaped onto the Sun in The Sands roundabout after a bit of queing on Shooters Hill, could of been worse. Other times have arrived earlier and had a mare. There are still bits of road works around that started in the summer not helping matters. But I think the traffic is certainly worse than the Prem days, probably because of the population rise since including London.
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps just not walking so fast with kids we’re at the tail end of it, but didn’t get back to Sidcup until 6.15. Was home by 5.30 a few games last season! 
  • edited September 2019
    Parked in the road opposite the fire station.
    Is it hardman road?
    Anyway. Was there around 1:15.
    It's permit. I was there well over the 2 hours.
    No ticket. Yay.
    Easy into the A2 from there.
  • Parked on my drive and got a train. Big worry now is having posted this for everybody to read somebody might nick my spot next home game...
  • I stopped driving to Charlton about 5 years ago.
    Travel by train instead. 
    A couple of pints after the game to let Charlton station empty itself of the majority of fans and then train back home. 
    Far less stressful. 

Agree mate much easier..I live outside Basingstoke so bus, train and always home earlier by Public transport than by car with the M25 thrown into the mix....If I have time and we win always have a couple after, saves all the shit from away fans travelling back to London with our heroes on the other platform winding them up.
  • For the bigger crowds I now tend to park at Abbey Wood and jump on the train along, back home in welling before 5.30 then. 

Much easier than sitting in traffic.
  • There are also a lot more single/double yellow lines around than during the Prem days. The biggest increase was in 2012.
  • Perhaps just not walking so fast with kids we’re at the tail end of it, but didn’t get back to Sidcup until 6.15. Was home by 5.30 a few games last season! 
    Parked in Asda’s , saw the tunnel jump and prolly last out of the family enclosure .
    Speedy walk back to car , Blackwall Tunnel approach well busy but sitting in Pizza Express Loughton at 18.10 , TOWIE ! 
  • I usually park along Thorntree Road for 12pm and there's usually loads of spaces available, I was quite shocked to see they were all taken - at least in the section where I park, but still managed to get my Plan B parking space very close by.

I stayed for the tunnel jump, left the North Upper, straight to the car and was back home in Welling by 5.30pm pretty good going I thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Live in Devon, ermmm got home late.
    Parked in Asda’s , saw the tunnel jump and prolly last out of the family enclosure .
    Speedy walk back to car , Blackwall Tunnel approach well busy but sitting in Pizza Express Loughton at 18.10 , TOWIE ! 
      Dont they photograph your number plate on the way in @ Asdas?
      Dont they photograph your number plate on the way in @ Asdas?
    Ive been parking there for years and no agg (yet) 
  • No trouble getting away from ground on saturday,but dreading wednesday evening when they will probably shut the m2 and make the a2  one lane near Darford.
  • Traffic was worse than normal through Blackwall after the game,  there was a kids thing on at the O2 so the roundabout before the Tunnel was clogged up.

Didn't get through Blackwall till 5.45.

• I stopped driving to Charlton about 5 years ago.
    Travel by train instead. 
    A couple of pints after the game to let Charlton station empty itself of the majority of fans and then train back home. 
    Far less stressful. 
    Blimey you couldnt of got in crossbars till 5.30pm
  • Davo55 said:
    Got there early to park in Thorntree Road for a faster getaway. Big mistake. Took ages to crawl along as far as Blackheath Standard.

Walked to Blackheath (Railway pub)...left the West Stand just after 5 and was in the pub at 5.40....judging by the traffic from the village to Blackheath Standard I reckon walking it would have been quicker then the bus.
  • Traffic was worse than normal through Blackwall after the game,  there was a kids thing on at the O2 so the roundabout before the Tunnel was clogged up.

Didn't get through Blackwall till 5.45.

The tube from London Bridge to North Greenwich (around 12.30) was absolutely rammed.
  • I usually park along Thorntree Road for 12pm and there's usually loads of spaces available, I was quite shocked to see they were all taken - at least in the section where I park, but still managed to get my Plan B parking space very close by.

I stayed for the tunnel jump, left the North Upper, straight to the car and was back home in Welling by 5.30pm pretty good going I thought.
    You get to the ground at noon....??  What do you do for almost 3 hours.....??  

( I assume go to  the pub )

You get to the ground at noon....??  What do you do for almost 3 hours.....??  

( I assume go to  the pub )
    3 hours in the pub when driving home!!
    Even the tight yorkshiremen cant make half a shandy last 3 hours