Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bow on Talksport this morning

On Alan Brazil this morning.

Comments

• On now.
  • Short and nothing new. Ruined by Alladyche blubbering on with his views veiled as a question.  Mapped.
  • What a horrible picture, Bowyer on Alan Brazil!!!!
  • edited September 2019
    Talal said:
    Obviously respect Bowyer's opinion but I thought Brentford posed us more problems than Leeds. 
    Yeh but he's got one eye on a future job .😉
  • RedChaser said:
    Talal said:
    Obviously respect Bowyer's opinion but I thought Brentford posed us more problems than Leeds. 
    Worryingly I do agree. But I still love the fella.
  • RedChaser said:
    Talal said:
    Not if we get to the Premier League first ;)
  • edited September 2019
    RedChaser said:
    Talal said:
    Worryingly I do agree. But I still love the fella.
    He's been great for us when we were at our lowest ebb and has exceeded my expectations but his short contract extensions under the Rat brings out the cynicism in me. I'm going to keep enjoying the journey he's taking us on for now though. Lee, Lee, Lee Bowyer 👍.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Love the way Bows trots out his old mantra, "It's about staying up - our only aim is to stay in the division".

That's what he tells the public. You can bet he tells the players something different!

If we are still around the top 6 at xmas, then he should ask RD for some investment - if you dont ask, you dont get.
    I believe RD is watching this very carefully, and *could* be ready to give it some financial push to get to the holy grail come Jan.
  • For years we have been fed rumours that if we were close to promotion at Christmas RD might invest. Well we were close last year and he sold Grant and bought Parker, that tells you all you need to know
    Risk vs Reward is very different if you compare L1 to Championship to this division to the PL though surely? For what it’s worth I don’t believe he would invest but surely that would come into consideration.
  • If we are in or around the Top 6 at Xmas, I doubt if we would keep hold of Lee.

He is ambitious, young, successful, working on a tin pot budget and will get interest. Steve Bruce’s job is my bet.

Roland will not invest for promotion and won’t say no to the compensation that another club will offer.

And the merry go round will start again....

• BR3red said:
    If we are in or around the Top 6 at Xmas, I doubt if we would keep hold of Lee.

He is ambitious, young, successful, working on a tin pot budget and will get interest. Steve Bruce’s job is my bet.

Roland will not invest for promotion and won’t say no to the compensation that another club will offer.

And the merry go round will start again....

Doubt Roland will invest but he might say no. The predicted "fire sales" never happen and we know we turned down some big bids for Taylor.

While he's on a 1 year contract the compensation won't be that much either.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Love the way Bows trots out his old mantra, "It's about staying up - our only aim is to stay in the division".

That's what he tells the public. You can bet he tells the players something different!

But he is right though.

i know this XP stuff is all in at the moment, but any measure you look at, we are over performing. Confidence and momentum can give you that. 

How long it can be rode out for, picking up points with much less chances and much less possession, is anyone’s guess. Winning games with just 28% possession just isn’t the norm.
    True ..... but even Charlton normally win games with more possession than that!

How long can it be rode out for? As long as the confidence and momentum continues.
    We've dropped points where we thought we'd pick up points. And we've won games which many thought we'd lose.

That might well be a pattern for the season. Bowyer plays with a gameplan to ensure the team is "greater than the sum of it's parts". And right now, players would run through a brick wall for him.

And my take is: in public Bowyer is deliberately talking us down ..... he's creating an 'under dog' mentality.
    By lowering public expectation, it takes the pressure off his own players - and causes other teams to underestimate us. 

But despite injuries and some limitations to the squad, we're in for a much better season than most predicted.
    Let's see where it takes us.

Bowyer is a straight talker. If he thinks we should only be concerned about surviving then that is what he says. If thought we were realistic promotion contenders, he'd be saying that's the target. However, he says he tries to win every game and he means that too, so it's possible we might keep winning and go up. Possible, but also unlikely.

When we hit our highs, we can match anyone, but any slight drop off and we will drop points, as evidenced by matches vs Wigan and Birmingham. I think the intensity we need to play at to hit those highs is just unsustainable week in week out so we will see enough slight dips over the season to mean we won't be promotion contenders. Mid table comfort with some standout individual results, such as Saturday, though... very likely and more than adequate for me.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

But he is right though.

i know this XP stuff is all in at the moment, but any measure you look at, we are over performing. Confidence and momentum can give you that. 

How long it can be rode out for, picking up points with much less chances and much less possession, is anyone’s guess. Winning games with just 28% possession just isn’t the norm.

How long can it be rode out for? As long as the confidence and momentum continues.
    We've dropped points where we thought we'd pick up points. And we've won games which many thought we'd lose.

That might well be a pattern for the season. Bowyer plays with a gameplan to ensure the team is "greater than the sum of it's parts". And right now, players would run through a brick wall for him.

And my take is: in public Bowyer is deliberately talking us down ..... he's creating an 'under dog' mentality.
    By lowering public expectation, it takes the pressure off his own players - and causes other teams to underestimate us. 

But despite injuries and some limitations to the squad, we're in for a much better season than most predicted.

Bowyer is a straight talker. If he thinks we should only be concerned about surviving then that is what he says. If thought we were realistic promotion contenders, he'd be saying that's the target. However, he says he tries to win every game and he means that too, so it's possible we might keep winning and go up. Possible, but also unlikely.

When we hit our highs, we can match anyone, but any slight drop off and we will drop points, as evidenced by matches vs Wigan and Birmingham. I think the intensity we need to play at to hit those highs is just unsustainable week in week out so we will see enough slight dips over the season to mean we won't be promotion contenders. Mid table comfort with some standout individual results, such as Saturday, though... very likely and more than adequate for me.
    Yeah, all good points, Exiled.
    We're punching above our weight. We all know this - and as you say, they'll be games when we can't sustain intensity and results will suffer.

But Bowyer's not talking about promotion - and nor was I.

My comments of his talking us down, are based around what I hear him say when interviewed by general media.
    But if you pay attention to what he says in his OS pre-match and post match comments, there's a very different tone.

And by gathering around him players who are 'winners', cultivating the under dog mentality and a never-say-die approach,
    no way is he just hoping for survival this season, he's driving his team to be the best it can be.

• Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

But he is right though.

I think we lost points against Wigan and Birmingham because they are both big physical teams that play direct football and I think we play better against footballing sides.
  • edited September 2019
    Both of those games we gave away goals with uncharacteristically poor defending.

And then failed to convert what should have been perhaps match saving chances.

Leeds will be saying the same thing.

• Love the way Bows trots out his old mantra, "It's about staying up - our only aim is to stay in the division".

But he is right though.

you are right AFKA  , what game have we had this season where we’ve looked so dominant you were never worried going in to the last 15 , maybe Reading  , last season I’d say there were plenty 

this season I’ve felt we’ve had a massive rub of the green , even on Saturday a proper spawny  goal
    yes you make your own luck  and we’ve grafted to get those results 
    but as said we won’t always be able to have it our own way 
    4th bottom will be brilliant 
  • Oggy Red said:

But he is right though.

Yes the only table that counts is the actual one, but the one based on expected goals does show how well teams are playing, and we're definitely getting more points than we should be getting, based on the number of shots we're conceding. Interestingly Swansea are even more extreme examples of this, whereas Stoke are the other way round, conceding far more goals than they should be. Leeds and Brentford should be scoring more than they are (which reflects their games at The Valley), but worryingly for Huddersfield, based on expected goals, they are still second bottom!

https://twitter.com/experimental361/status/1178193204694458369

• Oggy Red said:

But he is right though.

Whilst I'm not as knowledgeable as many when it comes to football I think possesion is far less important in the modern game.

Yes we gave Leeds a lot of possesion, but it was most mostly in non damaging areas.

Yes, they had a lot of chances, mostly pot shots from distance as they struggled to open us up.

Whilst we certainly rode our luck against Leeds, they are favourites for a reason, a little luck is needed.

I really believe are stats are generally a reflection of how Bowyer sets us up, let the oppo mess around with the ball, when they finally come forward, win it back and be clinical on the break, no shooting for the sake of it.
  • edited October 2019
    Just seen this:

“We knew we were going to be under pressure at times because everyone who plays Leeds is, but we held our own and tactically got it spot on.”

Maybe I know more than I thought B)
  • On that table, Swansea and Bristol City have more to worry about than we do.

I'd be interested in knowing whether things actually do gradually fall more back into line with XG over a whole season? Or do some teams continue significantly to over or underperform?
  • Oggy Red said:

But he is right though.

Whilst I'm not as knowledgeable as many when it comes to football I think possesion is far less important in the modern game.

Yes we gave Leeds a lot of possesion, but it was most mostly in non damaging areas.

Yes, they had a lot of chances, mostly pot shots from distance as they struggled to open us up.

Whilst we certainly rode our luck against Leeds, they are favourites for a reason, a little luck is needed.

I really believe are stats are generally a reflection of how Bowyer sets us up, let the oppo mess around with the ball, when they finally come forward, win it back and be clinical on the break, no shooting for the sake of it.
    It depends on how you play and who you play really. Ultimately the stat that matters is the scoreline. But if you have a game based around possession, it is an issue. If it is about countering then less so.

As for Bowyer's views on the best team we have faced, he could say Birmingham or Wigan. He watches and determines based on his knowledge. I'll take his word for it.
  • Love the way Bows trots out his old mantra, "It's about staying up - our only aim is to stay in the division".

But he is right though.

you are right AFKA  , what game have we had this season where we’ve looked so dominant you were never worried going in to the last 15 , maybe Reading  , last season I’d say there were plenty 

this season I’ve felt we’ve had a massive rub of the green , even on Saturday a proper spawny  goal
    yes you make your own luck  and we’ve grafted to get those results 
    but as said we won’t always be able to have it our own way 
    4th bottom will be brilliant 
    First half v Forest was the best i have seen Charlton play for years, should have been at least 2 or 3 up by half-time. Same for second half v Reading.
    However, i totally agree about the possession stats, we got really lucky v Brentford and Leeds tbh, and if the oppo team score first then we have looked a bit bereft (as you would expect with only 30 per cent possession)
  • On that table, Swansea and Bristol City have more to worry about than we do.

I'd be interested in knowing whether things actually do gradually fall more back into line with XG over a whole season? Or do some teams continue significantly to over or underperform?
    Where those stats are to me slightly misleading is that a team that concedes lots of shots, but blocks them through brave and committed defending isn't lucky, it's great last ditch defending. Parking the bus and letting the opposition have the ball is a legitimate tactic

By contrast last night Granit Xhaka ducked when the ball went towards him, resulting in a goal.