Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• It doesnt say if it it shots on target or just shots. Anyone can have a shot, espicially if told by your manager to shoot from distance. We (and Bowyer and the boys) i notice are not taking many long shots this season so far. 
  • It doesnt say if it it shots on target or just shots. Anyone can have a shot, espicially if told by your manager to shoot from distance. We (and Bowyer and the boys) i notice are not taking many long shots this season so far. 
    Pretty sure it's just shots.

Otherwise every club in the division is averaging at least 8 shots on target per game, which is unheard of. I think we had 1 v Brentford! 
  • edited September 2019
    The stat if anyone can work it out or find it that is more interesting and meaningful would be the chance creation to total shots and the chance conversion to total shots on target.

That tells us far more than total shots. For example, I already said on another thread that Leeds are the best team in the league, but are wasteful. Their chance creation to total shots is going to be relatively high, but they don’t convert enough.

I have just had a quick go and our chance conversion to total shots on target is exactly 50%.

We have had 22 shots on target, scored 11 goals. With a total of 50 shots, it means that 44% of our total shots are target.

We have also had 2 games where we have 100% chance conversion to shots on target, Stoke and Brentford. We won both games.

This says to me that although we don’t shoot much in comparison to Leeds or the division average, we do in fact create far more quality chances and when attacking, and are clinical with them. We definitely are meaningful, dangerous and attack with purpose.

That to me is more crucial and meaningful for us going forward, literally and metaphorically speaking.

Furthermore, if you have more possession you’re going to have more shots. Leeds have on average 67.33% per game. Whereas, we only have 43.5% on average. So in relative terms, for the time we actually have possession of the ball, we are about right with the use of it and how often we have a shot on goal.
  • Sage said:
    The stat if anyone can work it out or find it that is more interesting and meaningful would be the chance creation to total shots and the chance conversion to total shots on target.

That tells us far more than total shots. For example, I already said on another thread that Leeds are the best team in the league, but are wasteful. Their chance creation to total shots is going to be relatively high, but they don’t convert enough.

I have just had a quick go and our chance conversion to total shots on target is exactly 50%.

We have had 22 shots on target, scored 11 goals. With a total of 50 shots, it means that 44% of our total shots are target.

We have also had 2 games where we have 100% chance conversion to shots on target, Stoke and Brentford. We won both games.

This says to me that although we don’t shoot much in comparison to Leeds or the division average, we do in fact create far more quality chances and when attacking, and are clinical with them. We definitely are meaningful, dangerous and attack with purpose.

That to me is more crucial and meaningful for us going forward, literally and metaphorically speaking.

Furthermore, if you have more possession you’re going to have more shots. Leeds have on average 67.33% per game. Whereas, we only have 43.5% on average. So in relative terms, for the time we actually have possession of the ball, we are about right with the use of it and how often we have a shot on goal.
    I posted this else where, I can't remember where. 

If you look at the goals we score, since Christmas really, most of them are scored from inside the box and between the posts.  The only 2 I can think of this season that weren't were Taylor v Stoke and Leko on Saturday.

Most of our attacks involve short passing and or dribbling in the box.  By the time we do shoot we are more likely to score than taking pot shots.  Also if the pass is cut out or the player tackled no shot is registered. I can think of a number of recent goals where once we shot it was always going to be a goal, both of Purrington's, Pratley in the play offs, Aneke and Gallagher against Stoke etc.

Not that effects these stats but we don't put in many crosses from deep either, most teams would have panicked and crossed the winning play off goal earlier. 

It's very clever and obviously a direct result of some very good coaching.  The only time I have ever seen a team play this way before was Wenger's Arsenal in their pomp, not that I am saying we are at that level, yet. 
  • ross1 said:
    I saw a Charlton game at the Valley once, where we were losing 5-1, against a team managed by the great Bill Shankley and down to 10 men, but we won 7-6. Hard to believe  :)

And sitting next to the great man was none other than future Man Utd and Scotland striker Denis Law, a very young lad at the time obviously.
  • Arsenal's biggest victory and biggest defeat were both 8-1 scores, the opposition was Loughborough Town, when both were in Division Two back in the 1890's. I've yet to meet an Arsenal fan who knew that.
  • Tramp said:
    Arsenal's biggest victory and biggest defeat were both 8-1 scores, the opposition was Loughborough Town, when both were in Division Two back in the 1890's. I've yet to meet an Arsenal fan who knew that.
    They must be the only team to be relegated from the First Division (1912-13) but didnt have to win promotion to go back up...

Came fifth in 1914-15 yet were put in the First Division when it restarted again after the First World War
  • Sponsored links:

• Tramp said:
    Arsenal's biggest victory and biggest defeat were both 8-1 scores, the opposition was Loughborough Town, when both were in Division Two back in the 1890's. I've yet to meet an Arsenal fan who knew that.
    their record win is 12-0 and record defeat is 8-0
  • MrOneLung said:
    Tramp said:
    their record win is 12-0 and record defeat is 8-0
    And their 3 heaviest European defeats were all 5-1 and all v Bayern Munich.
  • Stig said:
    Former Brazilian captain, Socrates, was qualified as a medical doctor.

He was a bit of a philosopher too.

A lovely little thinker,
    But a bugger when he's pissed.
  • Kevin Foley made 74 Premier League appearances for Wolves between 2009 and 2012.
  • More men have walked on the moon than Charlton have achieved victories over Millwall.
  • Toto Schillaci and Oleg Salenko won the World Cup golden boot in 90 and 94 respectively, both with 6 goals.

They only ever scored one other international goal between them. 
  • edited November 2019
    Despite receiving 25 red cards in his career, Sergio Ramos has never been sent off in his 170 international caps.
  • Tottenham are the second PL club to sack two managers with the same birthday (Harry Redknapp/Pochettino, March 2nd) after Southampton (Ian Branfoot/Dave Merrington, Jan 26th)
  • Sponsored links:

• More men have walked on the moon than Charlton have achieved victories over Millwall.
    Of those who walked on the moon, only four still survive. This is greater than the number of surviving Charlton derby match-winners.
  • Stig said:
    More men have walked on the moon than Charlton have achieved victories over Millwall.
    Of those who walked on the moon, only four still survive. This is greater than the number of surviving Charlton derby match-winners.
    Sorry.
    My original post should’ve read ‘mars’, as ‘the moon’ is totally believable and does not satisfy the thread title.
  • Spurs just appointed Jose "Mercenary" Mourinho as manager 
  • ..and some Spurs seem quite happy about it, another strange fact
  • The last goal I ever scored was with my right foot (the rest were with my left foot, head or knees)
  • The last goal I ever scored was with my right foot (the rest were with my left foot, head or knees)

Any hole's a goal in Thailand mate.
  • Lee Bowyer is currently the 24th longest serving manager in the football league.

When Carlisle and Grimsby appoint new managers, 22 of the current 91 teams in the football league will have had a manager for less than 100 days.
  • edited November 2019
    52 of the current 91 teams have had their current manager for less than a year.
  • Sage said:
    52 of the current 91 teams have had their current manager for less than a year.
    Is that for the current season ?