Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good luck to Parky

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
Here's my best effort at being positive:

Frankly, Parkinson should have taken the matter out of the board's hands after the final whistle at Shef U by withdrawing his name from consideration.

He didn't and he's now been offered and has accepted the job of managing OUR team (and it is ours, not Messrs Murray and Chappell, who might hold the shares but do not fill the terraces).

Personally, I would not want a job in which (a) I'd already failed and (b) I knew nobody else thought I should be doing. But that's beside the point. He's taken the job and we have to get behind him as best we can. I wish him good luck. He's going to need it, too, because I've got a horrible feeling Charlton's nghtmare is far from over yet...

Sorry if that's a half-hearted attempt to rally behind him but with the sinking feeling I've got in my gut, that's the best I can do right now.

Comments

• He'll need a lot of luck - but with a bit of backing from the fans, he's got a better chance of getting it.
  • Well, if we want to support the club, I guess we've got to support Parky too.

It's not going to help anyone, if we undermine him.
  • He gets my backing now its confirmed because I am a Charlton fan. Come on Parky. Prove me wrong.
  • Good luck to us all. In fairness to Parky, he may well have been seething in Pardews shadow and constantly over-ruled. He took over at the worst possible point, the squad looked almost mutinous, he hasn't had a free hand in a full transfer window and thus I am reserving my judgement. In the meantime, I'll be supporting.
  • We will all sink or swim by the players he signs in January. 1 out of 3 so far from his loanee's has proven any good so unless he achieves 3 out of 4 of his next expected signings No point in sending the SOS. The ice berg is already in front of us.
  • I wish him all the best, just got my fingers crossed that the first win might make us go on a little run.

Come on Parky
  • no one wants him to fail unless ur Palarse etc. Just cant see how he lifts the players ---------he hasnt yet-----------the fans are now 100% in their boot straps------the crowd wont be 10,000 on Saturday.

gutted.

The Board have thrown the towel in.
  • i genuining like the bloke but don't think he is the man for the job,but i will get behind him and the team,good luck fella
  • OK, I shall support the team and Parkinson, but it will stick in my gut to do so, I don't boo during games, but to honour the memory of my dead father, and other Charlton fanatic relatives i will support the lads, and by association Philip Parkinson....but my god i wish I didn't have to. I am ashamed that somebody given Eight matches to get even one win, and fails, should be rewarded with the job of manager of my club, what message does that give to everybody about the status and honour of managing Charlton Athletic?
  • Sponsored links:

• I wished him well when he got in as Caretaker!

You have to say he hasn't done anything to justify getting the job on a perminant basis.

A very depressing day and agree with GH.
  • I don’t agree with the decision, and really do fear what may happen. But the decision has been made, differences have to be put to one side and we have to get behind the team including Parky.
  • 100% behind him there is no other way

good luck phil you are really going to need it

i still think if we could get that ellusive win then who knows what can happen
  • I assume that his argument is that he hasn't had the chance to bring in any of "his" players. Not sure if the recent loanees are "his". We'll have a much clearer idea by the end of Jan, when he will have brought in a couple of team motivating quality players, or we will still be here rooted to the bottom with little hope.
  • My question is this - If they felt this way about "continuity" then why did they not just appoint him to the job as soon as Pardew left?

Why waste 8 games leaving everyone - fans and Parky - in limbo?
  • edited December 2008
    That's the bit that annoys me, Ormiston. The implication was that there was a plan b if Parky failed to deliver the results. He didn't deliver but got the job anyway. Eight games wasted as you say , and the suspiscion that there never really was a plan b at all.

Had he been appointed the night Pardew was sacked, Parky might have got a couple of wins on the back of the new manager bounce. I'm afraid there is not going to be any such bounce on the back of confirming a failed caretaker.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]That's the bit that annoys me, Ormiston. The implication was that there was a plan b if Parky failed to deliver the results. He didn't deliver but got the job anyway. Eight games wasted as you say , and the suspiscion that there never really was a plan b at all.

Had he been appointed the night Pardew was sacked, Parky might have got a couple of wins on the back of the new manager bounce. I'm afraid there is not going to be any such bounce on the back of confirming a failed caretaker.

The only hope is that Parkinson manages to bring in 3 or 4 "roll your sleeves up" players to turn things around.

I am not holding my breath.
  • I am expecting the worst - anything else is a bonus.
  • I don't see that there's any option but to support him. He is our manager and he's going to be our manager for at least the rest of the season. Like it or not he's here to stay. So if you support this club, there's no choice but to support him and his team. Go on Parky, show 'em what you can do.
  • We need more than luck, we need a miracle, having said that I will be there Saturday with a lot of occasional fans who turn up to 1/2 fixtures a year so please win........
  • Sponsored links:

• In a perverse way I'm looking forward to it. Most loanees can't play so will see a "Charlton" team possibly playing without fear.
  • Good luck Parky.
  • I wish him all the luck in the world, he needs it!!! I have no animosity towards him at all, I think given time, he probably will do a decent job. I just don't think he's got enough time and thus he's not the bloke for the current task. Still he's there and I'll get behind him and the team.
  • In this fell of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud
    Under the bludgeoning of chance
    My head is bloodied but unbowed.
  • Good luck to him - I think he's been given the job to get us our of Div 1 next season.
  • mean't to read - ...get us out of Div 1 next season.
  • i like parky he is honest and straight and i hope he can keep us up but i genuinely believe the board have f --ked up on numerous occasions since curbs left ,lets hope the money they give parky is enough to get some decent players in ,good luck parky you are gonna need it.
  • Happy new year Jamie

heres to hoping bud
  • Good luck to the bloke, he seems an honest and genuine guy who wants turn the club around, the sad thing he will not be given the resources that both Dowie and Pardew had
  • happy new year d and when i was ,lets hope its a happy one 4 us and not those pricks from down the road