Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PARKINSON OUT ! as from 31st December 2008...PARKINSON OUT

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]The board would save 5mil off the running costs of the club, why shouldn't they welcome relegation?
    Where'd you get that figure from then? And did it also quote how much we'd lose in income at the same time?
  • Options
    ''if by some miracle we stayed up and won the FA Cup, he still would want him out''

Actually, AFKA, that was the one thing he said that I liked ! I thought it was amusing because we all know that if Parky were to keep us up and win the FA Cup, we'd be fighting off bigger clubs trying to poach him, and Seth would be delivering the bloke a lecture on showing some loyalty to the team that made him !!!
  • Options
    the one thing i liked was the word nincompoop. Haven't heard it for years, an absolute belter of an expression !
  • Options
    WSS, yes I'm a Charlton fan, for my sins it's in my DNA, but just as I would, and have, laughed at all the Palace fans (in the past I might add) or Millwall, for meekly accepting a Nodes or a Jordan, or a loss of their ground (the Old Den was Millwalls biggest asset), I am not about to meekly accept what is going on at Charlton in the same way. This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper...some Charlton fans who are here to dilute my anger, are in my view supporting tarts, ready to roll over and accept any old crap they're presented with, where their blind loyalty is exploited to the hilt. My kind of loyalty demands me to scream when it hurts, not beg for more of the same.
  • Options
    The debate huh?
    If we were relegated then the combined saving in staff costs, players wages, squad size, signing-on fees, bonus payments and other attendant costs would be considerable. Millwall have survived on paltry gates because they are now cheap to run...the 5mil quote was put to me by a club insider quoting a director, yes the figure is probably inaccurate, but the sentiment is the same...the lower we go, the cheaper it is to keep the show on the road. I didn't get the figure from financial director Nigel Caplin because as I understand it, he is not a qualified accountant...yet he is our 'financial director'.
    AFKA Bartram, on this thread what have you contributed to

'Someone who says we are going to get relegated this season, next season, and if by some miracle we stayed up and won the FA Cup, he still would want him out, i can't take seriously Len, no. All it does do is ruin the decent debate around it.'

the debate?
  • Options
    Come on Seth, you're not the only one feeling more than a bit underwhelmed by today's announcement.

Most of us were thinking the club needs a new broom to sweep away the losing mentality, put in the spark of inspiration, and just do something different.

But the reality is, like it or lump it, we've got Parky.

We can shout, throw our arms about and chuck our toys out of the pram. But the reality is, today we can't change anything - except withdraw our support.

Most of us won't do that regardless, so we'll take it on the chin and just get on with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ''some Charlton fans who are here to dilute my anger, are in my view supporting tarts, ready to roll over and accept any old crap they're presented with, where their blind loyalty is exploited to the hilt.''

Seth, I have tried to dilute a little of the anger and urged people to calm down a bit. But I don't recognise that description at all. Indeed, there are some here who have told me that all I do is complain and urged me to go away. The difference is,I try to keep my complaining to things where we might be able to influence the outcome - like getting rid of Pardew, who in my view is now the biggest villain in Charlton history - up there with Michael Glikstein.

I also hoped we could persuade the board not to appoint Parky. But we failed because it turns out they never had a plan b and so yes, the last eight games have been a bit of a farce.

But we now have Parkinson in situ until the end of the season and there's nothing we can do about it except get behind them. I''d suggest that's a little different from just rolling over and accepting any old crap, as you put it...
  • Options
    .......and I'll defend to the death his right to say it. Oops, sorry, wrong thread.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite] Parkinson is our manager and I'll support him day in day out, I'll support the team on the park and I'll moan about poor results on here and praise them at the Valley and on here.
    Anyone who boo's Parkinson and the team over the coming weeks should stay at home, you may not be wrong in your opinions but we have what we have and and need to do our bit to help.

agree with all the above we can't chose the manager but we can say he hardly inspires us on here
    we just have to get on with it
    we can't chose who else supports charlton or what their strange views are on it
    we just have to get on with it

I think the blame for all this pissed offness lays at the door of ALAN CURBISHLEY , he raised monumentally all our expectations for our club and cos of his good work i kmow i'm now more pissed off with charlton than ever before.... if we'd just hovered around in the second tier flirting with the play offs and relegation for the last ten years this all wouldn't seem so bad....
    so now i truly understand why people weren't happy with curbishley cos he was always going to bring this misery on us ..... it's all his fault!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite].the lower we go, the cheaper it is to keep the show on the road.

That's undeniably true but it is accompanied by lower revenue to meet the lower costs, fixed cost that were a reasonable percentage of income become overwhelming. By the argument you give then relegation to the Championship was a god send, but incase its not been noticed, a god send it is not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All of you are missing the point. The appointment doesn't matter now because it's too late. It mattered after Pardew was sacked but not now.
  • Options
    I don't know why but last week or so I had a strange feeling he will eventually turn it around.

Still feel like we will get relegated though.

I'm interested to see who he brings in, we need some experienced players that won't crumble under pressure and get a good performance out of every week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

I'm interested to see who he brings in, we need some experienced players that won't crumble under pressure and get a good performance out of every week.

That's exactly what Parky said he would do.
  • Options
    Kap,
    If the directors are so worried about losing their money why are they steering the club on the present course? The parachute payment has finished, the credit crunch is here, it may well be a godsend to have us sink lower because they know that we will pull in crowds of about 12,000 even in div three and that can provide a platform for some success, and any promotion from that point will bring in a lot of revenue because we will have cut things (costs) to the bone. The financial equations are complex, but directors who enjoy the kudos of owning our club, may well play the long game in the boardroom power struggle, and relegation may well suit some of them in a quest to gain control while it hurts us.
    Or selling the club...the lower we go, the cheaper we will be to acquire, and the sooner major shareholders will recoup their initial investment if they structure a sale to cover their 'loans'.

'That's undeniably true but it is accompanied by lower revenue to meet the lower costs, fixed cost that were a reasonable percentage of income become overwhelming. By the argument you give then relegation to the Championship was a god send, but incase its not been noticed, a god send it is not.'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Kap,
    If the directors are so worried about losing their money why are they steering the club on the present course? The parachute payment has finished, the credit crunch is here, it may well be a godsend to have us sink lower because they know that we will pull in crowds of about 12,000 even in div three and that can provide a platform for some success, and any promotion from that point will bring in a lot of revenue because we will have cut things (costs) to the bone. The financial equations are complex, but directors who enjoy the kudos of owning our club, may well play the long game in the boardroom power struggle, and relegation may well suit some of them in a quest to gain control while it hurts us.
    Or selling the club...the lower we go, the cheaper we will be to acquire, and the sooner major shareholders will recoup their initial investment if they structure a sale to cover their 'loans'.

'That's undeniably true but it is accompanied by lower revenue to meet the lower costs, fixed cost that were a reasonable percentage of income become overwhelming. By the argument you give then relegation to the Championship was a god send, but incase its not been noticed, a god send it is not.'

Seth.Calm down.The bad times are just beginning.You'll give yourself a coronary in a couple of years at this rate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

That's exactly what Parky said he would do.

Think that's why I might have that feeling he can eventually turn us around, he has recognised the problems that the fans have seen, rather than picking out a couple of excuses.
  • Options
    "We firmly believe the cash that is available needs to be used on the pitch, not on a very expensive management restructure."

It has been made clear in several of my posts that i didnt want the board to do this i really didnt.

I was told on Monday from within the inner circle of the changing room that this was the decision that was going to be made i posted it on here as soon as i heard.

It was told to me that there had been 4 players at facilities within our club looking to be the ones to sign on the to try to get us from the problems we are facing.

I was not given names of players but their positions were 1 forward, 1 mid/striker 1 Midfielder 1 Defender.

Look what is done is now done WE ARE IN THE BIGGEST TROUBLE that most fans on here will have witnessed we are facing a level of footie that some may never have experienced before.

We needed a new mgmt structure, we never got one,

But We need a period of stability at the club,

There are many who wanted Kins as the next main man if like me you wanted this to happen i am afraid that you like me must now accept the fact that Parky is there and deal with it in whatever way you want.

If it is your way to call for him to be sacked then shame on you really shame on you.

We are Fecked most of us know that but what MIGHT have been causing more problems is the instability of who is going to be the next boss we dont know

All that we can do now is get right behind them let them know that we are with them if they dig deep if the get the fight in their bellies they can always look to us to have the noise and the support they require, if we go a goal up they will know it, if we go a goal down then we wont lose faith nor should they.

If we get relegated If things dont turn then at the end of the season or when the points required dont reach the amount available then and only then do we start showing our anger and disgust at the Mgmt, The players the BOARD

now is not the time

I am very angry right now about the whole thing but what can we do there is not a thing.

If you want to demonstate about the decision Do it but it wont change

If you want to boo the decision Do it but it wont change

If you want to post insults and threats and name calling do it it aint going to change

I have not given up (although this smacks to me of the club have)

I will now aim to be as vocal in our fight as I can

I will not allow us to go down quietely

If we do go down let me tell you i will be as vocal and disgusted outside of the West stand directors entrance I may even attempt to show my disgust from entering the field of play, but that will be then not now there are 20 games or so to go.

you have my attention Mr Chapple, Mr Waggot, Mr Murray, Mr Parkinson now you give me yours

You have made a Bold and Brave decision one that i fear you may live to regret it is now up to you 4 and you 4 alone to ensure we are given the correct funds for the correct players and do not dare to cash in on our assets until we are dead

As for your new investors i really hope we stay up and you get yours and go
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have to come in here.
    I have known Seth since the days of Sellhurst/The Valley Party. A true gent, and a Charlton fan 110%. His first post on this thread has made me realise just where this great club is at the moment. Seth (who sits behind me) has always been the one who would never slag his team off .

Happy New Year! ??
  • Options
    without being patronising NLA, your posts have really been hitting the spot for me over the last couple of months. Tells it like it is, yet with fair balance and from the heart.

Great post
  • Options
    I agree with North London Addick. The quicker Murray gets the sale of the club through and clears off the better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe it's not Murray who wants to clear off, but other directors?

Just musing.
  • Options
    Cheers AFKA
  • Options
    Good post, NLA - always intrigued when you get some word from the inner circle within the club.

You don't mention the names of the 4 prospective new players looking round the club, but did you hear if any of them are definitely coming - and what level they are currently playing at?
  • Options
    He wouldnt tell me

He wouldnt even tell me if he is staying, cant get a look in at the mo upfront though might play saturday
  • Options
    Yup, NLA you've been kind enough to say recently in response to a couple of my posts that I had articulated what you were feeling. Can I return the compliment and say that you have now said it far better than I could...
  • Options
    charlton4ever has made me realise how much this is all hurting me now.
    I had been nursing hope that the new year would bring new hope, not more of the same old same old, so the announcement of Phil Parkinson has crushed within me any remaining hope I have.
    I will go on Saturday, and certainly continue to go for the rest of this season at least, and I will sing and cheer for the boys. Having been very active in the past, along with c4e (a true gent and Charlton loyalist himself), my feeling after all these years is why should I put up with it all and go down without a fight? Words on a forum are an outlet for me to do so....and they're from the heart believe me, because I have walked the walk long and hard in the past, and feel I have every right now to talk the talk.
    Those here who want to dig me out are certainly entitled to do so, but at least my generation of fans had the passion to keep our great club going when we hadn't a pot to piss in.
  • Options
    Chin up, Seth ...... go and play some Pink Fairies albums.

NeverNeverland, would be a good start. .......

;o)
  • Options
    Great Post NLA, i will sing my heart out for the team fans and everyone starting saturday.
  • Options
    That's it Seth - if you give up what hope have I got!

Happy New Year mate - come on lets all give the fella a chance and see what happens?
  • Options
    NLA - absolutely brilliant post.

You're right, i guess pretty much all of us are angry at todays decision but there is nothing we can do about it.
    I've spoken to 6 different Charlton fans in person today and every single one of them was of the same opinion, 'that's us down then'. I guess we just have to pray they prove us wrong.