Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Charlton team of the Decade

to balance out Kap’s post

Best individual 11, either in a 442, 451 or 352

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Would love to have seen more of Alou Diarra. Bloke was on another level to what we were seeing at the time.
  • Also centre midfield Krystian Bielik. Some of his performances stand out more than anyone else I’ve seen in a charlton shirt for years.
  • Manager - SCP

Hamer

Solly, Morrison, Konsa, Wiggins

JBG, Stephens, Poyet, Jackson

Kerm, Taylor

Subs
    Philips
    Gomez
    Semedo
    Aribo
    Hollands
    Wagstaff
    BWP

• Hamer
    Solly Gomez Morrison Wiggins
    JBG Cullen Bielik JJ
    Taylor Yann

Probably a bit biased towards Cullen and Bielik because of last season, but I can't remember that many better central midfield players in the past few seasons for us. 
  • Agree with Sky really, the only one I’m not 100% sure on is Diarra. He was excellent but I wonder if there was better, Stephens or Cullen perhaps.
  • For me, Sky have it spot on, could make an argument for Konsa in there over Bauer though. 

Diarra has to be included, few players in a Charlton shirt have ever exuded class quite like that man, and scoring against Millwall always helps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kermorgant

Kermorgant Kermorgant Kermorgant Kermorgant

Kermorgant Kermorgant Kermorgant Kermorgant

Kermorgant Kermorgant
    Surely we all dream of a team of kermorgants has got to get an airing in the cupboard end on Boxing Day, as a tribute?
  • No Powell at left back??
  • No Powell at left back??

SCP's last game for us was in the 2007/8 season.
  • Agree with Sky really, the only one I’m not 100% sure on is Diarra. He was excellent but I wonder if there was better, Stephens or Cullen perhaps.
    Ahem it wasn’t sky it was us  😂
  • Any team without Stephens in should be ignored 
  • Stephens only started showing promise in the last month of his Charlton career. 
  • Would probably swap Morrison for Bauer, as he played more matches in the championship for us.

Subs; Phillips, Bauer, Buyens, Wright-Phillips, 
    astrit ajdarevic, Johnny Williams, Da Silva
  • edited December 2019
    Good to see debate over our selection from some. Rothko aside 
  • I saw one post on Twitter where an Ipswich fan named their team of the decade by naming one player from each season from 2009/10 through to this

2009/10: Fraser Richardson
    2010/11: Johnnie Jackson
    2011/12: Yann Kermorgant
    2012/13: Michael Morrison
    2013/14: Rhoys Wiggins
    2014/15: Yoni Buyens
    2015/16: Johann Gudmundsson
    2016/17: Patrick Bauer
    2017/18: Ben Amos 
    2018/19: Lyle Taylor
    2019/20: Josh Cullen

So....

Amos
    Richardson - Morrison - Bauer - Wiggins
    Gudmundsson - Buyens - Cullen - Jackson
    Taylor - Kermorgant
  • Sponsored links:

• Kermogant and Taylor up front would have been some pairing.
  • How can I possibly comment?If the takeover goes through, we may get our best players of the decade in January.
  • Stephens was woefully under rated when he was at Charlton, player of the highest quality in the promotion season, kept us ticking, wonderful passer of the ball, and then stepped it up in the Championship. 

Also played the pass of the decade for Jackson’s goal at Rochdale  
  • Shelvey should be in any team

• My best 11;

Hamer

Solly Gomez Bauer Wiggins

Cullen Gallagher Jackson

Kermorgant Taylor Lookman

Subs; Pope, Konsa, Da Silva, Morrison, J Williams, Stephens, Fuller
  • Rothko said:
    Stephens was woefully under rated when he was at Charlton, player of the highest quality in the promotion season, kept us ticking, wonderful passer of the ball, and then stepped it up in the Championship. 

Also played the pass of the decade for Jackson’s goal at Rochdale  
    He was pretty average in the promotion season. A good player yes, but he hardly stood out
  • I think the Sky team is a good call: for keeper I'd probably go with Phillips - his kicking needs improvement but I think he's kept us in so many games and Ben Hamer seems so long ago :( . Henderson was good for us as well, despite being hung out to dry he saved every penalty against us that season. 
    Can't argue with Solly being there; Wiggins is definitely the best LB we've had this decade. Bauer deserves it for his solid performances and that crucial goal. Gomez has obviously done far better since he left us so there's an argument for Morrison. 
    I think midfield has a lot more options - Buyens with his 100% penalty record, Stephens, Cullen and Bielik all in with a shout. 
    Front two - no argument. I was fond of BWP, but no one has come close to either Yann or Lyle.
  • You can almost make 2 different lists, the best players who've played a reasonable number of games during the decade, which rewards longer service and consistency, and the most talented players which is those who looked really good, got flogged and went on to better things or were only here for a short time...

"longer service team"
    Hamer
    Solly Morrison Bauer Wiggins
    JBG Cousins Stephens Jackson
    Kermorgant Taylor

"Best team"
    Pope
    Konsa Diarra Ben-Haim Gomez 
    JBG Coquelin Stephens Lookman
    Kermorgant Vetekele

All internationals or have played in the Premier League or equivalent elsewhere

• edited December 2019
    Suddenly makes me feel old when I'm about to post 'what about Shelvey' before realising that he doesn't qualify for this team.
  • Hamer
    Gomez Konsa Ben-Haim Wiggins
    Gudmundsson Buyens Diarra Lookman
    Kermorgant Wright-Phillips