Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is our injury record going to hamper us in the transfer market?

edited December 2019 in General Charlton
We will have at least two loan spaces to fill with Leko and Kayal leaving us. But will potential lenders be swayed by the fact that we appear to have broken all our loanees?  And will potential purchases be put off?

Comments

• possibly 
  • Potential lenders are just as likely to be swayed by what Lord Bowyer's over the last couple of seasons done with Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher, and, to a lesser extent, Leko.
  • No, silly billy 
  • It won’t in any way. But there must be some serious scrutiny done in why we have consistently had so many injuries from Nov onwards for the last three years running 
    This x 100%.
  • Strange how the weekly injury update on the OS has now disappeared and it's left to LB to advise of progress/lack of regarding the cumulative walking wounded. 
  • Strange how the weekly injury update on the OS has now disappeared and it's left to LB to advise of progress/lack of regarding the cumulative walking wounded. 
    He's Physio during the week as well now.

The medical staff have been shown the door.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lack of protection from referees is one factor. Williams and Oztumer have both been targeted by the opposition, as was Gallagher yesterday. Other players have arrived with low fitness levels - Kayal and Hemed for example.
    There's nothing unusual about that, skillful "tricky" players will always be fouled a lot

And it's not as if the number of games our players are playing is that unusual. I see Jake Cooper has just played 100 consecutive games for Millwall where he's played every minute of each game as well.
  • Those from lower leagues seem to receive less protection than the elite players.
  • Lack of protection from referees is one factor. Williams and Oztumer have both been targeted by the opposition, as was Gallagher yesterday. Other players have arrived with low fitness levels - Kayal and Hemed for example.
    There's nothing unusual about that, skillful "tricky" players will always be fouled a lot

And it's not as if the number of games our players are playing is that unusual. I see Jake Cooper has just played 100 consecutive games for Millwall where he's played every minute of each game as well.
    Not disputing your very good point, but there is too much football being played in England, and it is putting players at risk. Most days I drive past Dukla Prague's gaff, and being old skool, they have a "next game" sign outside. Two weeks ago, I drove past and it was a while before it hit me that the next game was March 14. Winter break, full three months. Imagine that in England. They'd all be back, bar Leko. Firing on all cylinders, running teams off the park like in September, October....
  • Potential lenders are just as likely to be swayed by what Lord Bowyer's over the last couple of seasons done with Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher, and, to a lesser extent, Leko.
    I'm glad I'm not the only CharltonLifer that thinks calling Lee Bowyer 'Lord' cringing 😉

Not disputing your very good point, but there is too much football being played in England, and it is putting players at risk. Most days I drive past Dukla Prague's gaff, and being old skool, they have a "next game" sign outside. Two weeks ago, I drove past and it was a while before it hit me that the next game was March 14. Winter break, full three months. Imagine that in England. They'd all be back, bar Leko. Firing on all cylinders, running teams off the park like in September, October....
    Why would you want a three month break in England? Only rarely do we have snow across the board for more than a week or so and all of the pitches are in much better condition these days.
  • @Covered End That's not "the" league. It's some winter tournament that exists to help maintain match fitness. Dukla, who are in the 2nd division now re-start with an away game on 7 March, so its one week shy of three months for them. In the top league it is exactly two months. For sure it is necessary here on weather grounds, pitches will be frozen long term by end of Jan, even if there is not snow.

@Off_it , sure, three months or even two months is only necessary in countries like this one where the weather demands it, but a month would be useful to allow squads to recover. That's what they have in Germany, I think. But to do that, there would need to be less football overall. We are the ones with the biggest national league, and with two national cups, and we don't give our players a break. I'd have it in January, since Boxing Day is always popular. 

• @Covered End That's not "the" league. It's some winter tournament that exists to help maintain match fitness. Dukla, who are in the 2nd division now re-start with an away game on 7 March, so its one week shy of three months for them. In the top league it is exactly two months. For sure it is necessary here on weather grounds, pitches will be frozen long term by end of Jan, even if there is not snow.

@Off_it , sure, three months or even two months is only necessary in countries like this one where the weather demands it, but a month would be useful to allow squads to recover. That's what they have in Germany, I think. But to do that, there would need to be less football overall. We are the ones with the biggest national league, and with two national cups, and we don't give our players a break. I'd have it in January, since Boxing Day is always popular. 

No league games between the 3rd and 4th round of the FA Cup, simple. 

Apart from the fact all the premier league clubs will swan off to Asia and the US and play each other in friendlies rendering the whole thing a waste of time. Dulka have a break and still play friendlies to stay "match sharp" sort of misses the point doesn't it? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    @Covered End That's not "the" league. It's some winter tournament that exists to help maintain match fitness. Dukla, who are in the 2nd division now re-start with an away game on 7 March, so its one week shy of three months for them. In the top league it is exactly two months. For sure it is necessary here on weather grounds, pitches will be frozen long term by end of Jan, even if there is not snow.

Apart from the fact all the premier league clubs will swan off to Asia and the US and play each other in friendlies rendering the whole thing a waste of time. Dulka have a break and still play friendlies to stay "match sharp" sort of misses the point doesn't it? 
    Plus, how do they play these friendlies on frozen pitches ?
  • Sponsored links:

• If our next game was August, we'd have three injuries during training the week before.

We're talking about highly paid professional athletes, mostly in their 20s. And you're moaning that they have to play three games in a week over Christmas.

FFS, when I was their age I once played 11 games of rugby to a high standard over just under four weeks. Sure, I ached a bit, but I got a few knocks and just got on with it - and that was with me actually paying for the privilege to play.

Bloody prima donnas, just get on with it.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    @Covered End That's not "the" league. It's some winter tournament that exists to help maintain match fitness. Dukla, who are in the 2nd division now re-start with an away game on 7 March, so its one week shy of three months for them. In the top league it is exactly two months. For sure it is necessary here on weather grounds, pitches will be frozen long term by end of Jan, even if there is not snow.

No it doesn't miss the point at all. Don't you know how many players you will watch in your next Charlton game, on either side, but especially on our side, who have been patched up with injections and sent out to play, because, in Bow's own words "there is no one else"? Such players won't be used in friendly matches by clubs who have a winter break.They will recuperate, and get a few minutes if it suits their rehab regime Nor will those who play be snapping into tackles the way Gallagher does every game (and get snapped into). Of course the FAPL clubs would do what you say - but do you think managers like Klopp approve of that ?

@Covered End they will almost certainly be playing indoors.  I've seen clips on TV of this tourno. Dukla got all of 687 fans for the last home league game at their stadium so it's not as if they need a big indoor stadium for all the fans for this kickaround. 

Right now it's minus 3 outside my gaff, and so far it's considered a "warm" holiday season. 
    Too busy healing the sick!

I notice they have given up mentioning page
  • Cafc43v3r said:

No it doesn't miss the point at all. Don't you know how many players you will watch in your next Charlton game, on either side, but especially on our side, who have been patched up with injections and sent out to play, because, in Bow's own words "there is no one else"? Such players won't be used in friendly matches by clubs who have a winter break.They will recuperate, and get a few minutes if it suits their rehab regime Nor will those who play be snapping into tackles the way Gallagher does every game (and get snapped into). Of course the FAPL clubs would do what you say - but do you think managers like Klopp approve of that ?

@Covered End they will almost certainly be playing indoors.  I've seen clips on TV of this tourno. Dukla got all of 687 fans for the last home league game at their stadium so it's not as if they need a big indoor stadium for all the fans for this kickaround. 

Right now it's minus 3 outside my gaff, and so far it's considered a "warm" holiday season. 
    I am fully aware of the fact that no pro is 100% after about 2 or 3 weeks of the season.

As I said before the solution, in England, is no league games between the 3rd and 4th round of the FA Cup.  The problem is where do you play those games?  That is satisfactory to everyone from Manchester United to Morecambe.

Abolished the league Cup and play the league games the weeks the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round ties would have been played?

Extend the season at either end?  Would you be happy playing the play offs with out Williams, Lockyer and Matthews because they are at the Euroes with Wales?  

Liverpool should have withdrawn from the league Cup, not wait until the quarter finals to give Villa a bye, that's an extra 3 games they made themselves play.  In the knowledge they couldn't field a proper team. 

So another solution would be to pay players less, so you can afford to have more of them then it wouldn't be a problem would it? 

• We will have at least two loan spaces to fill with Leko and Kayal leaving us. But will potential lenders be swayed by the fact that we appear to have broken all our loanees?  And will potential purchases be put off?
    Yes, they’ll all be saying don’t go to charlton, they’ll put you in the first team if you are fit and you’ll have to play Championship football every week...
  • Cafc43v3r  The main ways to reduce the amount of football in England would be:

- abolish the League Cup (no other European nation has a second national cup, and when did you last attend such a game?)
    - abolish the lower league equivalent cups
    - reduce the second and third tier to 20 clubs, and regionalise and expand the fourth tier. Like in Germany.

That would create space for a 4 week break. It would also reduce the pressure on club staff to rush players back .

As a reminder, these are the players who just this first half season have had setbacks in their  injury rehab regime: Taylor, Williams, Aneke, Lapslie, Purrington, Hemed. Field too, even though his regime was at West Brom. Also widely speculated that JFC was playing full games too quickly, before he got injured again. While each case is particular, a fact is that Bow and co. badly needed all these players back asap. That creates the pressure. That pressure is systematic, not exclusive to Charlton, although of course with the cheapest squad in the division the pressure is greater.I cannot see how anyone can deny the issue is connected to sheer number of games.
  • It won’t in any way. But there must be some serious scrutiny done in why we have consistently had so many injuries from Nov onwards for the last three years running 
    I think bowyer has himself hinted a couple of times that something is not as it should be with our recovery of injuries 
  • edited December 2019
    If I am right, we are now up to 14 injured squad players?

1. Amos
    2. Page
    3. Bonne
    4.  Aucharia
    5. Aneke
    6. Williams
    7. Kayel
    8. Hemed
    9. Field
    10. Leko
    11. Cullen
    12. Lapslie
    13. Forster-Caskey
    14.  Oztumer 

Added to that Pratley and Gallagher need a rest and Ledley, Taylor and Purrington who are not yet 100%... That is 19 players injured or not 100%.

• Last night’s fixture was a classic example of my case that there is too much football, and that it harms players. Who needs to see another game after Boxing Day but before New Years Day?