Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derby County v Charlton Athletic | Monday 30 December | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

edited December 2019 in General Charlton
Derby County v Charlton Athletic
Monday 30 December | Kick-Off: 19:45pm | Live on Sky Sports Football
Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Introduction
An eleven game winless run came to an end as we got a Christmas tree points that we all craved. A fantastic performance, accompanied with a brace, from ding-Bonne merrily on high including an assist for Doughty's winner was just enough in a topsy-turvy affair on Boxing Day. We now head into our final game of the calendar year and a very memorable year it has been. Let's hope we can top it off with another 3 points as the team head up to Pride Park where they will encounter a Derby County team who are winless in 7 themselves.

Opposition
Manager: Phillip Cocu (27% win rate) | Stadium: Pride Park Stadium
League Position: 18th | Nickname(s): The Rams
Fun Fact: Derby County had to evict gypsies from their old stadium, The Baseball Ground, back in 1895. It was believed that as they were evicted, the gypsies put a curse on the club never to win The FA Cup. It wasn't until you guessed it, Derby played us in the 1946 FA Cup Final, and lifted the curse.

A late equaliser for Derby on Boxing Day stopped it being 3 defeats in a row and only 6 points of bottom. A terrible first half of the season for a club who have consistently spent beyond their means, with the arrival of Wayne Rooney in January an example of this. Derby were over-run back in October where we put together arguably our best performance of the season and our biggest win so far. Not too much has changed in the way of Derby's team since that day, and Cocu still persists with the 4-2-3-1 formation. Their last line up at Wigan was:

Hamer
Bogle Davies Forsyth Lowe
Bielik Holmes
Knight Waghorn Lawrence
Martin

A few changes can be expected for this with the Christmas schedule meaning games are coming thick and fast. Bielik came off just before half-time on Boxing Day so will likely be unavailable for Monday, whilst players like Jack Marriott will be hoping for a start after coming off the bench and assisting the equaliser at the death. Other players hoping to create us problems has to be of course Martyn Waghorn and Tom Lawrence. Waghorn is Derby's top scorer this season with 7. In fact, these two players have have scored more than half of Derby's goals this season. Tactically, both players will look to get in behind our defence, and if we play a back five, the space between wing back and outside centre back is an area they will look to exploit.

Derby are a team this season that has struggled to score goals. With 22 so far this season, only their last opponents Wigan have scored fewer. Their struggles in front of goal have been exhibited by scoring a lowly 7 since our meeting at The Valley in October, a figure of which we have matched in only our last 3 games. However, The Rams will look at their next 6 fixtures in the league and know that they will quickly define how their season will pan out. A run of us, Barnsley, Middlesbrough, Hull, Luton, and Stoke. This also includes having just played Reading and Wigan. Unbelievable when you consider league positions. 

Charlton Team News
It seems like we keep saying the same thing, but with injuries still taking its toll on us, there's not a lot that can be changed ahead of the game on Monday. With Leko back at West Brom and out for the season after picking up an ACL injury on his left knee last week, we can be glad that January is quite literally just around the corner. Gallagher should just have enough to recover in time to be part of the squad after coming off with a hip injury on Boxing Day, but it would be a surprise if he is to train between now and then. Williams, Aneke, Hemed, and Page are all back outside running so a return for them shouldn't be too far away. In terms of changes, we can probably expect Solly to come in for Matthews and possibly Pearce and/or Purrington coming back into the team too. Albeit, if I were Bow, I would be tempted to try and leave it as much as possible.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Purrington, Pearce, Ledley, Dempsey, Davison

Prediction
A really tough game away from home at this time of year. Although Derby haven't had a good season by the standards expected of them with their budget, they're still hard to beat at home, with only 2 defeats at Pride Park all season. Similarly to us, our away form has left a lot to be desired with only 2 away wins, the last coming way back at the end of August against Reading. I would take a draw and be pleased with how this year has panned out for us.

Derby County 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Taylor

Comments

• Think Gallagher will be rested, not sure how we shuffle the deck to account for whoever will replace him? Vennings maybe?
  • I think i read somewhere that Tom Lawrence is suspended after his 10th yellow card yesterday.
  • Are tickets available on the door? I don't imagine this sold out... did it?
  • Lawrence is suspended for them and Bielek is available to play. Doubt Gallagher will be in squad and Taylor may be on the bench. Possible start for Davison?
  • Really surprised that Jack Marriott doesnt get more game time, huge fan of his and would go ape shit if he became a target of ours
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Feeling a bit optimistic about this game, though on previous occasions I was optimistic, e.g. Wigan and Luton, we've been rubbish!

I would expect minimum changes from Boxing Day, especially with the extra day's rest before our next match, Thursday to Monday is long enough to get reasonable recovery into the legs, and this to me is a match we SHOULD be targeting. Get a win at Derby, then anything at Swansea is a bonus and sadly the cup can see us play a C team

If we can start well and take the lead, you can imagine the natives getting quite hostile. We CAN score freely, but can we defend?
  • Thanks people for pointing out Lawrence is out suspended for this one. That’s a big miss for them and a bonus for us. Having done my research, I seemed to miss that, so many thanks.
  • We might see Gallagher (if he’s fit enough) and Taylor on the bench. Lee indicated that Lyle wouldn’t be starting at Derby but our options are incredibly limited, with Leko, Hemed and Aneke all out. It’s hard to see Davison being thrown in from the start but I fear that Macauley would get isolated if he is played up top on his own, particularly given the absence of attacking midfielders like Williams, Oztumer and Gallagher (if he’s not fit).

It’s not a bad time to play a Derby side, who are likely to be short on confidence. If we can make a decent fist of defending properly (and it’s a big if), we should take something from the game and I’d certainly be happy with a point.

If Derby can’t secure a decent points haul from the six game run listed by Sage - particularly after the introduction of the most expensive player-coach in the history of the Championship - I’m pretty sure that Cocu will be toast. 
    Yes, tickets are available for cash only purchases from the away end.  I think about 730 were sold before they went off sale on Boxing Day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Three ex CAFC in that Derby line-up.
    Hamer to score against his old club? 
  • 2.1 to Charlton to keep the feel good factor going.
    Also the takeover to be announced this week.
    COYA. 
  • edited December 2019
    Hate playing Derby @ Pride Park, has become a ground a bit like the Riverside where we dont really do well at

Just checked, we've only ever won there once... in 1999!!
  • their manager Philip Coc-Up is proving that he is pretty much incapable of managing a talented and expensive squad. They've not been the same since Keogh was sacked, he held them together for it seems like decades. Derby are a team lacking leadership, motivation and cohesion. They are ripe for the taking by a back to form Addicks outfit

Derby County 0 v CAFC 2
  • Hate playing Derby @ Pride Park, has become a ground a bit like the Riverside where we dont really do well at

Looks like we are going to party like it’s 1999 then...
  • If we can field a team I think we’ll get something from this. They are rubbish. Lawrence is their only real threat and he’s out.i think if we resist the temptation to sit deep and go for it we can do this.  
  • 2-1 Charlton , Pearce and Bonne with the goals.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Think Gallagher will be rested, not sure how we shuffle the deck to account for whoever will replace him? Vennings maybe?
    Would expect Doughty to go to midfield and Purrington to come in. Not great but there are very few options. Vennings would be a big risk to start in my opinion. Oshilaja, Pratley and Morgan an option but makes us very defensive. 
  • Perhaps Solly in midfield for a rare foray, with Oshilaja further forward where his athleticism had an impact. I remember vs City he did some shimmies on edge of box and put in a decent cross.
  • Perhaps Solly in midfield for a rare foray, with Oshilaja further forward where his athleticism had an impact. I remember vs City he did some shimmies on edge of box and put in a decent cross.
    Used to think Solly would have made a brilliant CDM, not sure anymore 
  • Sponsored links:

• First goal is very important I feel, noses in front and I can see us holding on. 0-1 .
  • Fully expecting us to start with our strongest 11 given the injury situation so anticipate Gallagher to start. This ought to be winnable given Derby’s current run.
  • I think you go all out for something in this one and rest a couple maybe for Swansea. Derby are on such a torrid run and we saw in the last game that Taylor and Bonne are a handful against anyone.

I can't believe how unlucky we have been for midfield injuries. If Gallagher can't make it, Doughty has to be pushed forward to bring in some creativity into that midfield.

A win here and anything at Swansea is just a bonus. We can then hope for a few more options against W.Brom in the next league game.
  • Hate playing Derby @ Pride Park, has become a ground a bit like the Riverside where we dont really do well at

Remember that game well. Hunt and Pringle scored I think and even at 1-0 it was like an evacuation as a huge amount of their fans left early.

Fingers crossed we can nick a 2-1 win with Bonne and Morgan scoring for us.
  • mart77 said:
    Hate playing Derby @ Pride Park, has become a ground a bit like the Riverside where we dont really do well at

Remember that game well. Hunt and Pringle scored I think and even at 1-0 it was like an evacuation as a huge amount of their fans left early.

Fingers crossed we can nick a 2-1 win with Bonne and Morgan scoring for us.
    Yep, Hunt and Pringle - 2nd was a breakaway IIRC around the 88th min or something. Not many of us there but we went nuts when it went in, cos we weren't backing Prings as he bore down on goal!
  • Doughty on a roll and to score again in a 2-1 win for the Addicks 
    Yes.
  • It’s a massive compliment to Bowyer and his management team that so few posters are expecting us to get trounced up at Pride Park.

With so many (12?) missing from our bargain basement squad, with so many young players thrust into the limelight before they’re ‘ready’, and with so many playing out of position, how can we realistically expect to get anything from the game? And yet some of you nutters are predicting a win ffs!

2-1 to the mighty Addicks. 
  • Away from home. On sky. Injuries galore. Derby appear to be poor, something not right there as there is a lot of quality. Take a draw again. Hope Bonne keeps up his form from boxing day. Not sure Taylor will start but hope he does. A win would be a great effort so let's keep the faith. COYRs
  • I suspect Taylor will start as I can't really see any other options.