Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Subs v Derby

So, which subs would you have used instead?  

As a reminder, here's the smorgasbord of talent available tonight: 

2 Matthews
6 Pearce
9 Taylor
16 Ledley
30 Maynard-Brewer
33 Dempsey
44 Davison

Comments

• Pearce on for Purrington
    Taylor on for Bonne as was injured

Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Sarr 
    Solly Oshilaja Pratley Doughty
    Morgan Gallagher
    Taylor

Throw on Davison for Pratley late on and put him up with Taylor
  • Talal said:
    Got no problem with the subs, he had to try something. As I said the other day Ledley may as well not be on the bench. 
    Ledley appearing on the bench but not even being used is probably the biggest frustration

God knows why people are more interested in saying we shouldnt be throwing on the kids when they should be questioning why an experienced pro isnt fit enough (or whatever the issue) to play!!
  • What’s going on with Ledley 
  • Why are we throwing on Davisson who was absurdly useless (no his fault at all I might add) when Ledley is getting paid probably 5 times as much?
  • Needed fresh legs. Subs were the only option given ledley seems to be a waste of air.
  • baffled we aint seen more of ledley, his not just a defensive mid, he can offer going forward 07-08 season for cardiff he got 10 goals playing left mid
  • IR94 said:
    baffled we aint seen more of ledley, his not just a defensive mid, he can offer going forward 07-08 season for cardiff he got 10 goals playing left mid
    Clue..?
  • edited December 2019
    Well I predicted Davison would pose them zero problems as he was coming on the pitch, not with hindsight, and I was right. Pearce should have come on for Purrington and Sarr needed to be pushed up top.We were looking tired so Dempsey did make sense as there were no other real options.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    Taylor for Bonne had to be done due to the injury. 

I have no problem with the changes Bow made as we had to try something and the options were limited. 

Personally if no one else was injured I’d have brought Matthews on for Solly as he is perhaps slightly better going forward. 

The other I’d have done would be Pearce for Purrington. 

Allowing us to go to a back 3 of Pearce Lockyer and Sarr, pushing Sarr forward for the last few minutes if needs be (Pratley or Deji dropping to cb, and Doughty would give us the extra width at wing back with Matthews compared to what Purrington and Solly offer.

Hopefully we wont’ have such limited options from the bench for much longer. Back Gallen and Bowyer in January and we’ll be ok.

• Was thinking LB should bring on two subs just as he did, but I would have brought Matthews on for Solly and Pearce for Purrington. As others have said, Sarr and Pearce might sneak you a goal at the death.
  • edited December 2019
    Was thinking LB should bring on two subs just as he did, but I would have brought Matthews on for Solly and Pearce for Purrington. As others have said, Sarr and Pearce might sneak you a goal at the death.
    Could you imagine if he did that and it didn't work, there would be comments like 'why's he bringing on 2 defenders when there's a striker and midfielders on the bench'. He can't really win with what's available. 
  • From post match thread

Oshilaja was fcked from about 60mins, passenger. 

Sarr. I can only presume had a niggle or was injured as fckin ludicrous to bring him off at that point when you want to be attacking deep balls in injury time. 

I'd have taken off Solly and Oshilaja. 
  • I haven't got a problem with the subs he brought on. 

I have a problem with the players he took off.  Solly and Purrington were pointless, he could have least stuck Nabby up front. 
  • Sarr has 2 goals in last 3, ridiculous not to put him up top
  • Sarr was on a yellow, so presumably was subbed to remove the danger of the ref evening it up.
  • Should have put Taylor on as soon as they went to ten men, probably would have avoided Bonne’s injury if we had done that. Could have them taken him off again later once we’d turned it around.
  • Croydon said:
    Should have put Taylor on as soon as they went to ten men, probably would have avoided Bonne’s injury if we had done that. Could have them taken him off again later once we’d turned it around.
    Would we have then lost Taylor to further injury?

Bowyer said pre-match that he didnt want to risk playing Taylor so soon after two 90min games
  • when is Toby Stevenson back? surely no worse than Purrington
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    Ok, you are a Derby defender. Who would you prefer to defend against? Honestly. Sarr or Davison? If you answer that question honestly, you have the answer why that sub was wrong. Go one further, Charlton are pumping desperate balls in. Do you want Pearce and Sarr in the area with Taylor? I would suggest you don't!
  • Ledley was considered good enough to start the first game after we signed him, but now can't even get on from the bench when we are losing against 10 men.
    He will play the cup game of course, but Bowyer clearly has no faith in him whatsoever and he rates one of the most bizarre signings off the Bowyer era.
  • Ledley was considered good enough to start the first game after we signed him, but now can't even get on from the bench when we are losing against 10 men.
    He will play the cup game of course, but Bowyer clearly has no faith in him whatsoever and he rates one of the most bizarre signings off the Bowyer era.
    Isn’t Ledley leaving at the end of December though? 
    Isn’t Ledley leaving at the end of December though? 
    Is he? I hope so.
  • I can only think there's something Bowyers knows we don't as I agree I thought (aside from Taylor for Bonne due to injury) the others seemed a bit bizarre.

Taking off two experienced players for two youngsters who at best were rabbits in the headlights did seem odd. Sarr could have gone up front with Taylor and given them something to think about. Pearce on for set pieces/corners would again have given them a headache to think on. 

I can only assume Deji was running on empty and there was something with Sarr he wasn't happy with (there was a point he did seem to simply not bother to track back). But we had Ledley on the bench and pearce who isn't going to maze his way through midfield but could have allowed Sarr to push up top.
  • Forgive my ignorance but when they announced the substitutions my initial reaction was ‘who?’. No disrespect to Dempsey and Davison but it just goes to show how threadbare our squad is for a Championship campaign. They added nothing when they came on.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I can only think there's something Bowyers knows we don't as I agree I thought (aside from Taylor for Bonne due to injury) the others seemed a bit bizarre.

Taking off two experienced players for two youngsters who at best were rabbits in the headlights did seem odd. Sarr could have gone up front with Taylor and given them something to think about. Pearce on for set pieces/corners would again have given them a headache to think on. 

I can only assume Deji was running on empty and there was something with Sarr he wasn't happy with (there was a point he did seem to simply not bother to track back). But we had Ledley on the bench and pearce who isn't going to maze his way through midfield but could have allowed Sarr to push up top.
    If Sarr / Oshilaja were running on empty it was probably to try and rest them for Swansea as they'll be straight back in
  • edited December 2019
    Forgive my ignorance but when they announced the substitutions my initial reaction was ‘who?’. No disrespect to Dempsey and Davison but it just goes to show how threadbare our squad is for a Championship campaign. They added nothing when they came on.
    This is my major criticism of Bowyer. I still think he is a great manager but I also think he sometimes makes statements with his subs - tonight was, look what I have to work with. Ok, we needed energy but not from two rookies. It is the same when he doesn't fill the bench. He can always find a player to sit on and get something from it if they are a youngster, but he wants to make that statement. 

The option available was a desperate one. But sometimes you need to take desperate over hopeless!
  • You wait till you see the subs bench for the FA Cup game on Sunday 😳
    Empty