Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Not sure if I have seen this before. Fans on the covered end roof and standing around the pitch - amazing. More than 77,000 there! My uncle may have been there. 
  • If you've never looked at it, the old Thames News archieve is on YouTube, loads of Charlton stuff like this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkmgPqTCjg
  • Rothko said:
    If you've never looked at it, the old Thames News archieve is on YouTube, loads of Charlton stuff like this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkmgPqTCjg
    Cheers for that. I was at that Swansea reserve game when he made his debut after ht. Always thought the fans were in the west stand only but clearly some were on the East terrace. Forgotten that.
  • Was there too. Happy days but Charlton never change!!!
  • Wow fans sitting on the roof of The Covered End !
  • Blimey, great video that. Compare the east and covered end in that film with pics of the villa cup game where 75k were in attendance and I’d say there is nearer 90k for the arsenal game
  • Great find that. Love the commentators back in those days. 
  • Sponsored links:

• That Arsenal fixture was our first one against them and our only loss at home that season 
    we drew 1-1 away to them that season 
    poxy gooners cost us the title ! 

Our goal diff that season away from home -15 ! 
    Crazy days 
  • That Arsenal fixture was our first one against them and our only loss at home that season 
    we drew 1-1 away to them that season 
    poxy gooners cost us the title ! 

Our goal diff that season away from home -15 ! 
    Crazy days 
    What was the average away following?
  • Wow fans sitting on the roof of The Covered End !
    Bumping this, it's only about 1 min, with about 90,000 at The Valley, loads sitting on roof of The Covered End.
  • Not read whole thread, but interested to know why Super Mac had this photo taken - he has no connection to Charlton as far as I am aware ?
  • edited January 2020
    Not read whole thread, but interested to know why Super Mac had this photo taken - he has no connection to Charlton as far as I am aware ?
    I think he had a column - or someone wrote a column for him - in one of the national papers, or maybe the Standard.
  • Not read whole thread, but interested to know why Super Mac had this photo taken - he has no connection to Charlton as far as I am aware ?
    Here are two facts that are probably no help on this quest whatsoever:

1. In 1987 Malcolm Macdonald was the manager of Huddersfield Town.
    2. Charlton did not play Huddersfield in 1987.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    I helped organise a Samba band when we had those changing rooms. 
    We were outside them, car park side as fans arrived and had a request to move along as the team couldn't hear the pre match talk.

Not as bad as when we had the dutch band in the family section and someone @BDL had forgotten to cut the PA to our mike. The ref stopped play and came over to say that the players couldn't hear the whistle. We had no idea as we were amongst the noise anyway.
  • The Malcolm Macdonald pic was from an article he did about Charlton being away from the Valley in one of the tabloids - I seem to remember he was very upset to see the ground in that state and the whole sorry mess we’d got into.

I was at the testimonial where he guested for us, he was bombing around like it was an England game, fair play to him.
  • I must admit I had never seen this before.
    I presume it dates back to the early 90's when I was in enforced absence from all things Charlton.
    It is described as a proposed rebuild design during our exile.

• The Malcolm Macdonald pic was from an article he did about Charlton being away from the Valley in one of the tabloids - I seem to remember he was very upset to see the ground in that state and the whole sorry mess we’d got into.

I was at the testimonial where he guested for us, he was bombing around like it was an England game, fair play to him.
    Pretty sure my mum has still got that article and a few other press cuttings around the time we left the Valley and when we went back. I'd be amazed if she got rid of them 
  • MrLargo said:
    I've got a pennant with a picture of that version on it. Think I bought it in the club shop at Selhurst at one of our last home games there. Pretty sure the matchday programme was promoting season tickets at The Valley for the following season.

That version had a bowling alley incorporated into the West Stand. Weirdest thing about it for me is that they planned to make the East Stand so small, and the inexplicable cleared, flat area behind it. Think total capacity was due to be about 12,000.
    That pic wasn’t the version that had the bowling alley in, that was a bigger model I think with wrap around stands
  • MrLargo said:
    I've got a pennant with a picture of that version on it. Think I bought it in the club shop at Selhurst at one of our last home games there. Pretty sure the matchday programme was promoting season tickets at The Valley for the following season.

That version had a bowling alley incorporated into the West Stand. Weirdest thing about it for me is that they planned to make the East Stand so small, and the inexplicable cleared, flat area behind it. Think total capacity was due to be about 12,000.
    Museum piece @MrLargo

🤞
  • MrLargo said:

That pic wasn’t the version that had the bowling alley in, that was a bigger model I think with wrap around stands

It was definitely this version that had the bowling alley in it (and a police cell).  I did have the original architects' drawing before I gave them to the museum.  Luckily I took a picture and they appear on page six of this thread if you want to take a look.
  • stonemuse said:
    I helped organise a Samba band when we had those changing rooms. 
    We were outside them, car park side as fans arrived and had a request to move along as the team couldn't hear the pre match talk.

Not as bad as when we had the dutch band in the family section and someone @BDL had forgotten to cut the PA to our mike. The ref stopped play and came over to say that the players couldn't hear the whistle. We had no idea as we were amongst the noise anyway.
    I remember us verbally abusing Chris Armstrong from the covered end as he sat outside on the grass in a pre season friendly against the Nigels