Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby Six Nations 2020

I suspect that there will be a World Cup hangover for some of the teams. 

England ..  The Saracens players could be demoralised knowing that their wage packets are doomed to shrink substantially. Billy Vunipola again has a broken arm (he should seriously consider retirement), his brother looks to be dead on his feet and to have been the victim of a terrible traffic accident.
 Eddie Jones has continued to select the indifferent (to put it politely) Ben Youngs and George Ford when the half back weakness is just self evident, and he has ignored one of the most consistent back row forwards of the past two seasons, Alex Dombrandt as well as Dombrandt's Harlequins team mate the exciting stand off Marcus smith.

Ireland .. Terrible in Japan and the team is now quite aged. They are not the real powerhouses of two years ago. Too dependant on an over the hill pair of half backs, although their backs remain dangerous and good to watch. They will always give it a right go though.

Scotland .. Trouble at mill amongst the players and coaches, they simply lack strength in depth and nowadays their bravery and total commitment is matched by most other teams.

Wales .. Lost their guru coach. Like Ireland the squad is looking a bit shopworn although the Welsh always produce quality players and their pattern of play is well set and seems easy for new blood to quickly adapt to.

Italy .. Errrrrrr they can only improve but it will not be in this tournament

France .. Their new coach has selected a very young and inexperienced squad but one full of promise. Like English footballers, the French do VERY well at junior level but find it hard to progress the youth into full internationals. I have a feeling this season they will be the team to beat, England first up will be very decisive. (I have traitorously put a few quid on the French to win the thing at 9/1)

Four of the six have new coaches replacing very successful long term incumbents. Will they be able to adapt to new regimes and will the new coaches take the view of 'if it ain't broke', or attempt to bring  different styles of play ?
Best coaching appointment ? .. Shaun Edwards. After the Welsh grand slam of last year and the departure of Warren Gatland, Edwards decided to go back to Rugby League as coach of Wigan, the club where as a player, he won everything there was to win. He is still the only player to captain England schoolboys in both Rugby codes. The French however made him an offer he could not refuse to stay in Union and he is now their defence coach. The man is a rugby genius and it is a disgrace that England has never appointed him in any capacity after years ago, he turned down a role as coach to the Saxons, the England reserve squad. England's loss has been for the past eight years Wales' gain and now he will be planning the French defence. You can bet that that will be no Maginot line !!   

Comments

• I'm going to Paris on Saturday for the weekend and got tickets, buzzing!
    I thought Charlton were playing Barnsley on Saturday?
  • edited January 2020
    Solidgone said:
    I'm going to Paris on Saturday for the weekend and got tickets, buzzing!
    I'm boycotting, ESI out  ;)
    Oui!
  • Solidgone said:
    I'm going to Paris on Saturday for the weekend and got tickets, buzzing!
    I'm boycotting, ESI out  ;)
    Yeah you should be at the Charlton game @Pelling1993

Want to swap? 
  • I am off to Dublin on Friday to cheer Scotland on. Ten of us, should be a great laugh although I will be keeping close watch on events at the Valley and hoping we can pick up three vital points.
  • I am off to Dublin on Friday to cheer Scotland on. Ten of us, should be a great laugh although I will be keeping close watch on events at the Valley and hoping we can pick up three vital points.
    This fixture really bolloxed up my Dublin racing festival trip as accommodation was none existent.

ah well only 6 weeks till Cheltenham.

think wales will win it. 
    This fixture really bolloxed up my Dublin racing festival trip as accommodation was none existent.

ah well only 6 weeks till Cheltenham.

think wales will win it. 
    Interesting. I booked my accommodation in September when everywhere was expensive and selling out. I now see that there is availability in many of the central hotels and prices have returned to 'normal.' 
  • I also think England will have a hangover in this tournament...

As much as I hate to say it, I think Wales will do it again this year
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    At last a decent thread @SE7toSG3    ;)
  • A few changes for England .. 
    Furbank at full back .. a proper full back and not a converted winger .. 
    Ewels in the second row .. surprise selection ahead of Kruis .. 
    Lawes in the back row .. played there before, indicates that Jones is going for a hard nosed approach .. 
    no Mako Vunipola, Marler at l'head prop .. 
    Tom Curry at number 8 .. now able to play in any of the three back row roles.

Just a few changes from the world cup selection .. he is persevering with Ford & Youngs at half back .. we will see on Sunday 
  • A few changes for England .. 
    Lawes in the back row .. played there before, indicates that Jones is going for a hard nosed approach .. 

Just a few changes from the world cup selection .. he is persevering with Ford & Youngs at half back .. we will see on Sunday 
    surprised Kruis is out ... don't know Furbank

Will be an interesting first game
  • stonemuse said:
    A few changes for England .. 

Ewels is probably more of a grafter than Kruis, but Kruis's line out expertise will be sorely missed 
    Furbank ? .. Northampton player, very fast, elusive runner, solid catcher/kicker .. reminds me of Ben Foden, if you remember him ((:>)
  • stonemuse said:

Ewels is probably more of a grafter than Kruis, but Kruis's line out expertise will be sorely missed 
    Furbank ? .. Northampton player, very fast, elusive runner, solid catcher/kicker .. reminds me of Ben Foden, if you remember him ((:>)
    Indeed I do ... look forward to seeing him
  • mart77 said:
    @Lincsaddick have a feeling that Ireland will do ok and I’ll even stick my neck out and say they’ll just pip England to win it! 

From Leinster alone there is a plethora of young talent coming through. Delighted to see Caelan Doris get a start against Scotland but also likes of Deegan, Larmour, Ringrose, Furlong, Henshaw, Van Der Flier, Porter, Ryan and McGrath who are all early to mid 20’s. On top of that now Ireland can call upon James Lowe who can be as real game changer. What I’m hoping is that Farrell has learned from Schmidt’s mistakes and that the team hit the ground running. 
    Leinster are like, or now probably better, than the Welsh teams for spotting, nurturing and developing talent .. as you say, that pool of talent is remarkable, AND, they, and the other provinces,  can still find the odd Boer to add to the mix ((:>) 
  • stonemuse said:

Launchbury is out injured. I wonder whether he would have got the gig ahead of Ewels had he been fit?

Mind you he (Launchbury) didn't even make the 23 for most of the World Cup so probably not. Jones just doesn't seem to rate him.
  • LenGlover said:
    stonemuse said:

Launchbury is out injured. I wonder whether he would have got the gig ahead of Ewels had he been fit?

Mind you he (Launchbury) didn't even make the 23 for most of the World Cup so probably not. Jones just doesn't seem to rate him.
    Think you're right .. Joe might be a bit too 'nice' for Jones
  • Hope Devoto gets some good minutes Sunday, the lad has been amazing for Exeter 
  • Hope Devoto gets some good minutes Sunday, the lad has been amazing for Exeter 
    agreed , he's a big unit .. got 1 cap a few years back and I believe this is the first time Jones has called him up .. might be wrong there .. taken him a while to 'break through' at the Chiefs, he'd be good stand in for Tuilagi  .. shame Jones didn't select Sam Simmons, though Sam might be a bit 'small' as a back rower for Jones's taste
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonder where Dombrandt is...
    I mentioned him in the opener .. good attacker not so good (yet) in defence .. who knows ?
    I mentioned him in the opener .. good attacker not so good (yet) in defence .. who knows ?

Oh yeah I know, sorry should have said that better

Wonder why he isn't in there, then

He been incredible so far this season
    I am a bit envious .. enjoy it 
    have a great weekend
    I am a bit envious .. enjoy it 
    Cheers mate! 
  • England for the Grand Slam, Wales will suffer with a new coach and Ireland need drastic changes players and tactics. France will be our toughest test, good young side. Scotland and Italy battle for the wooden spoon.
  • George Furbank's father is a mate of mine.  He's beside himself with a mix of pride and nerves tonight and doesn't think he'll be able to sleep between now and the game. 

Dead chuffed! 
  • Chizz said:
    George Furbank's father is a mate of mine.  He's beside himself with a mix of pride and nerves tonight and doesn't think he'll be able to sleep between now and the game. 

Dead chuffed! 
    nice ..  they must both be so proud and pleased
  • Chizz said:
    George Furbank's father is a mate of mine.  He's beside himself with a mix of pride and nerves tonight and doesn't think he'll be able to sleep between now and the game. 

Dead chuffed! 
    His Dad, that is. I'm sure George will be fine.