Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parasite. The movie.

So, I saw the film last night. We had booked a week ago so didn’t know it was the Oscar best film until The Oscars had happened. But we looked forward to it because of the reviews from reviewers we liked.
I thought it very poor albeit being photographed well, well cast and well acted. It just had a story that wasn’t plausible to me.

Comments

• edited February 2020
    I loved every minute. Thought it was an unpredictable thrill ride, entertaining but with a very arty side.

As a director he doesn't really do 'plausible'. 

What an achievement for a foreign picture to win those Oscars!
  • Addickted said:
    Shock horror - Oscar winning film turns out to be shite.

Last decent winner was The King's Speech.
    What a load of rubbish, 12 Years a Slave, Green Book?
  • Saw it last Friday. I enjoyed it, thought it was a good film, but not the one I've most enjoyed in the last year. 
    I also think the story has been done similarly before, going back to The Servant in 1963, to an extent Pacific Heights.

It's a film well worth seeing, but not by any means perfect. I thought JoJo Rabbit was fabulous, I loved The Favourite last year, both better in my opinion.

I'd rank Parasite alongside David Copperfield and 1917 as being very good but I thought the ending was disappointing. Won't say more as dont want to spoil it.
  • Addickted said:

Surprised Argo and Chicago didn't make that list.
  • IMHO.

Green Book - rubbish
    The Shape of Water - surreal rubbish
    Moonlight - rubbish
    Spotlight - rubbish
    Birdman - rubbish
    12 years a slave - OK, but Captain Phillips, Philomena and The Wolf of Wall Street were all far better films.
  • Addickted said:

Argo? Again Lincoln and Django Unchained were better films.
  • Addickted said:
    IMHO.

Green Book - rubbish
    The Shape of Water - surreal rubbish
    Moonlight - rubbish
    Spotlight - rubbish
    Birdman - rubbish
    12 years a slave - OK, but Captain Phillips, Philomena and The Wolf of Wall Street were all far better films.
    Spotlight was superb 
  • Addickted said:

Forgot about Argo on my initial post, decent film that's for sure. 

Chicago was before the King's Speech. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought Parasite was brilliant. Thoroughly deserved the Oscar imo. I was very much hoping 1917 would get it until I saw Parasite on Sunday night. Both films very different but both were a couple of the most original films I've seen in a while.
  • edited February 2020
    iainment said:
    It just had a story that wasn’t plausible to me.
    I guess I would think the same. Parasite is the only one of the 9 nominated Best Pictures that I didn't watch, yet it won.... I didn't watch it because I saw the plotline and a couple of comments saying that 'rich people cannot be that stupid' and 'the film is full of plot holes'. My jaw dropped when I saw it won four Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director. To be honest I'd be happy if Joker or 1917 had won Best Picture.
  • I read last week that Mark Kermode had rated it as the best film he'd seen in the last 10 years. Also said not to read up about it or any synopsis as it might ruin the ending. Taking this, and its title, into account I was thinking it would be worth going to see ..... only to find out that

1) It was in subtitles

2) Has nothing to do with infestation /horror etc.

I think I'll hold off & do what I usually do......wait 6 months & see it on Sky.
  • edited February 2020
    I read last week that Mark Kermode had rated it as the best film he'd seen in the last 10 years. Also said not to read up about it or any synopsis as it might ruin the ending. Taking this, and its title, into account I was thinking it would be worth going to see ..... only to find out that

1) It was in subtitles

I think I'll hold off & do what I usually do......wait 6 months & see it on Sky.
    Mark Kermode's gone too far this time. I feel for you Golfie.
  • Jessie said:
    iainment said:
    It just had a story that wasn’t plausible to me.
    I guess I would think the same. Parasite is the only one of the 9 nominated Best Pictures that I didn't watch, yet it won.... I didn't watch it because I saw the plotline and a couple of comments saying that 'rich people cannot be that stupid' and 'the film is full of plot holes'. My jaw dropped when I saw it won four Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director. To be honest I'd be happy if The Joker or 1917 had won Best Picture.
    Joker, not the joker please.
  • edited February 2020
    I read last week that Mark Kermode had rated it as the best film he'd seen in the last 10 years. Also said not to read up about it or any synopsis as it might ruin the ending. Taking this, and its title, into account I was thinking it would be worth going to see ..... only to find out that

1) It was in subtitles

Boo. 
    I’ve seen 1917 three times, Jojo Rabbit, new Star Wars and David Copperfield twice. 
    1917, or any of them for that matter, on a tv screen, even a big one, is not Quite the same. 
    I like the immersement (if that’s a word) you get in a cinema. No phones, no doorbells ringing etc. 
    Cinema rules!
  • Is Parasite available to watch anywhere other than ad hoc cinemas?
  • Sponsored links:

• Only in cinemas atm, since it only had it’s UK release on Friday.
  • I read last week that Mark Kermode had rated it as the best film he'd seen in the last 10 years. Also said not to read up about it or any synopsis as it might ruin the ending. Taking this, and its title, into account I was thinking it would be worth going to see ..... only to find out that

1) It was in subtitles

Do you not like foreign language films?
  • a film director has lovingly crafted his film to show the beauty and genius of his vision across the whole cinema screen - it obviously loses some of the intended effect if you are concentrating on the bottom 20% of the screen only.

1) It was in subtitles

Korean film is subtitled.  How dare they?

I far prefer subtitles to dubbing.  The mouth movement being at odds with what's being said I find really disrupts my enjoyment of what I'm watching.  Except for animation where they never agree anyway.
  • I'm delighted that a subtitled film has won Best Picture as it may make a few people open their minds to the possibility that the billions of people on the planet who don't speak English may be capable of making films that are worth watching.

I showed a low budget subtitled film from Afghanistan to my Year 9 Film Studies class as I wanted to give them a culture shock. The film was called 'Osama' and was about a girl who disguises herself as a boy in order to be able to work and earn money to keep her family alive in a Taliban-run city.

The reaction afterwards was that although they wouldn't choose to watch a film like this and that it was too slow at times, they were interested to see that films do not have to be big budget, fast-paced, mainstream-friendly films with happy endings. The ending of 'Osama' shocked them and created a lot of debate.

@captainbob try them on Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) next.
  • Addickted said:

You'll be saying that the Booker prize winning books are unreadable guff next.

Oh...

• I'm delighted that a subtitled film has won Best Picture as it may make a few people open their minds to the possibility that the billions of people on the planet who don't speak English may be capable of making films that are worth watching.

I showed a low budget subtitled film from Afghanistan to my Year 9 Film Studies class as I wanted to give them a culture shock. The film was called 'Osama' and was about a girl who disguises herself as a boy in order to be able to work and earn money to keep her family alive in a Taliban-run city.

The reaction afterwards was that although they wouldn't choose to watch a film like this and that it was too slow at times, they were interested to see that films do not have to be big budget, fast-paced, mainstream-friendly films with happy endings. The ending of 'Osama' shocked them and created a lot of debate.

@captainbob try them on Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) next.
    @AddicksAddict Thanks for the tip - that looks very interesting. I haven't considered documentaries yet.