Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'98 Playoff Team V '19 Playoff Team

First Discussion I've ever made so sorry if it's not correctly formatted but I wanted to share this experiment I did while in Lockdown.

Essentially I recreated the '98 winning squad in Football Manager using stats from old Championship Manager games and set up a custom tournament against the 19 squad (unaltered from Football Manager 19).

It was a fun experiment that I thought charltonlife would be interested in watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZRAvq2gGc

Anyway thanks guys!

Comments

• clever stuff .. 
  • I'd take the 98 winning team any day of the week ;)
  • I'd take the 98 winning team any day of the week ;)
    They'd cream the '19 lot IMHO
  • Phillips > Illic

Djiksteel > Mills

Rufus > Sarr

Bauer > Youds

Bowen > Purrington

Jones = Pratley (cant split them!)

Kinsella > Cullen 

Aribo > Newton

Taylor > Bright

Mendonca > Parker (not much in it ;))

4-4 draw 
  • The 98 team was unbeatable towards the end of the season and until Wembley wasn’t conceding any goals if that rose tinted memory serves me right while at the other end of the pitch they knew how to score them
  • Nice one!

Can you find a Charlton team that can beat Millwall please?
    Last season's squad would have gotten it done 
  • I had a real dilemma knowing who to support! I still don't know if I am pleased who won😄
  • Comfortable 98 win 4-0.
  • 98 team were way better but I think the 19 team would take advantage of them not understanding the current offside rule
  • Sponsored links:

• Great fun to watch .

Why didn't you use real players such as Bradley Allen ( an unused sub against Ipswich in the Semis ), Antony Barness and Paul Mortimer who both were used in the Ipswich Semi Final as the extra subs for 98 ?

• I haven't watched the video yet, but I will. 

It's nowhere near as clear cut as some people are suggesting.  Yes the 19 team were 1 league lower but look at the big picture. 

If you assume all the players is both teams were British (yes I known they weren't and I'll include Ireland in that for ease of reference).

And you assume British players are as comparatively as good as they were 20 years ago then it's going to be close. 

Man United won the European Cup in 99 with a mainly British team, Liverpool won it in 19 with handful of brits.  That's trickled down. In 98 we finished about 24th and 19 we finished about 43rd.

Even if you take away that 20 years later players are fitter, faster and stronger, I would say the standard was about the same. Compared to the British norm. 

• Croydon said:
    Phillips > Illic

Djiksteel > Mills

Rufus > Sarr

Bauer > Youds

Bowen > Purrington

Kinsella > Cullen 

Aribo > Newton

Taylor > Bright

4-4 draw 
    Djiksteel over Mills??
    Utter madness!!!
  • Danny Mills obviously thought it was early December!
  • Thanks guys for watching and stuff - again I didnt have a bias and tried my best to create the 98 team as fairly as possible. I'm mainly a games writer so I've written an article about how I got it made that a website is going to publish so I will post that here.
  • Also I can always aim a rematch and see if that result was a fluke
  • Croydon said:
    Phillips > Illic

Djiksteel > Mills

Rufus > Sarr

Bauer > Youds

Bowen > Purrington

Kinsella > Cullen 

Aribo > Newton

Taylor > Bright

4-4 draw 
    Djiksteel over Mills??
    Second worst decision after only playing ten men.
  • 98 team is a million light years ahead of anything recently. That was proper Charlton.
  • Danny Mills obviously thought it was early December!
    Got sent off on purpose to spend 'extra time' with his family. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable 98 win 4-0.
    I don’t agree with that - the team at the end of last season was really good - much better than we are now 
  • The 98 team would all be well past their best now. Easy win for the 2019 team.
  • Croydon said:
    Phillips > Illic

Djiksteel > Mills

Rufus > Sarr

Bauer > Youds

Bowen > Purrington

Kinsella > Cullen 

Aribo > Newton

Taylor > Bright

4-4 draw 
    Djiksteel over Mills??
    Utter madness!!!

Djiksteel had a brilliant game in the final.

Besides, that particular selection had more to do with my total dislike of Mills than pure footballing ability. 
  • Football has moved on a lot since 98. Technically I think the 19 lot would be superior to most of the 98 lot. But being technically better isnt everything.