Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Order to watch movies

I have just finished all 30 season of The Simpsons that are on Disney+.

My next 2 things to rewatch are all the marvel movies and all the star wars movies.

I have looked online and there seems to be 3 or 4 different lists for an order to watch the Marvel Movies in.

Does anyone have a definitive list

Also what order is best to watch the Star Wars movies in

Comments

• For Star Wars, I wouldn’t bother with the 3 prequels. Start with Solo, then: Rogue 1, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rose of Skywalker. 
  • For Star Wars, I wouldn’t bother with the 3 prequels. Start with Solo, then: Rogue 1, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rose of Skywalker. 
    Should add that if you did want to watch them prequels, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith
    I get what you are saying about the prequels.

But my aim in the lockdown is to watch them all, same with the Marvel movies.

Its why I just watched 30 seasons of The Simpsons lol, not all of those were great I can tell you haha
  • I think the best way to watch the MCU films is the order in which they were released - Films like Captain America (set in WW2) is obviously before Iron Man in terms of the timeline (same with Captain Marvel) yet having seen the MCU in order of release I'd question parts of those two films as whilst they're set before Iron Man etc. you have to watch them in order for those prequel scenes to make sense.
  • Depends what you mean by "all" the Marvel movies. Do you want any film based on the Marvel comics, only those produced by Marvel Studios, or only those that feed into the Avengers series?
  • edited May 2020
    So @DaveMehmet

Star Wars would be

Phantom Menance
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith 
    Solo
    Rogue 1
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Force Awakens
    Last Jedi
    Rise of Skywalker

Have I got that right
  • So @DaveMehmet

Star Wars would be

Phantom Menance
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith 
    Solo
    Rogue 1
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Force Awakens
    Last Jedi
    Rise of Skywalker

Have I got that right
    Yes mate
  • So @DaveMehmet

Star Wars would be

Phantom Menance
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith 
    Solo
    Rogue 1
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Force Awakens
    Last Jedi
    Rise of Skywalker

Have I got that right
    Yes mate
    Cheers
  • edited May 2020
    Yeah thay release order is how I'd watch the MCU

There are confusing points which an chronological order explains (only explains them quicker though) but feel the release order is better

e.g. there is this item that appears in Captain America, it pops up at the start of the Avengers yet you dont know how it ended up with that person; Captain Marvel (of course released much later) explains that because its set before the first Avengers film, of course you'd know that by watching chronologically, watching it in release date order doesnt lessen the surprise when you see it happen, instead its more of a "Ohhh thats how it happened" moment, which you'd lose in a small way

Sorry if I was really vague there, just want to avoid as many Spoilers as possible for you
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah thay release order is how I'd watch the MCU

There are confusing points which an chronological order explains but feel the release order is better

e.g. there is this item that appears in Captain America, it pops up at the start of the Avengers yet you dont know how it ended up with that person; Captain Marvel (of course released much later) explains that because its set before the first Avengers film, of course you'd know that by watching chronologically, watching it in release date order doesnt lessen the surprise when you see it happen, instead its more of a "Ohhh thats how it happened" moment, which you'd lose in a small way

Sorry if I was really vague there, just want to avoid as many Spoilers as possible for you
    Dont worry I have already watched them all(well apart from Captain Marvel) just wanted to kill time in lockdown by watching them all in order 
  • Another vote for watching things in release order rather than by the chronology of the events that occur in the films, so the second order shown in that link, not the first one. And for Star Wars that'd be
    • A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of The Jedi
    • Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
    • Episode 2 - Attack of The Clones
    • Episode 3 - Revenge of The Sith
    • Episode 7 - The Force Awakens
    • Rogue One
    • Episode 8 - The Last Jedi
    • Solo
    • Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker
  • Could someone do the same for the Avengers films? 
  • So is this right for MCU would you say @ForeverAddickted and @aliwibble

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

Marvel’s The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Thor: The Dark World

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

Captain America: Civil War

Doctor Strange

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok

Black Panther

Avengers: Infinity War

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Captain Marvel

Avengers: Endgame

Spider-Man: Far From Home 
  • Rothko said:
    Could someone do the same for the Avengers films? 
    The TechRadar link that Paulie provides above has the two orders (chronological and release date) to watch those films

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor

Marvel’s The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ant-Man

Doctor Strange

Black Panther

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Captain Marvel

Yeah thats the order I've always watched them in
  • Ah cool, had watched up to Avengers, which I’m watching now, so will pile through those. Cheers gang  
  • That looks about right. I wasn't too sure about The Incredible Hulk, as it has Ed Norton rather than Mark Ruffalo in it, but William Hurt plays the same character he does in a couple of the later films, so I assume it counts.
  • aliwibble said:
    That looks about right. I wasn't too sure about The Incredible Hulk, as it has Ed Norton rather than Mark Ruffalo in it, but William Hurt plays the same character he does in a couple of the later films, so I assume it counts.
    That version of the Incredible Hulk is definitely part of the MCU

The PCS is the one when Downey meets up with Hurt in the bar and mentions putting together the Avengers team

Have become a proper geek with these films
    Should add that if you did want to watch them prequels, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith
     But best to go and do the gardening while AoTC is on or you might put your own eyes out. 
  • Sponsored links:

But best to go and do the gardening while AoTC is on or you might put your own eyes out. 
    Especially the super Mario parts
  • edited May 2020
    So now got a weeks free trial for now tv as The Incedible Hulk and both Spiderman movies are not on disney+

The Incredible Hulk is owned by Universal 
    Both Spiderman movies are owned by Sony 
  • I'm a fan of the Star Wars 'Machete' order for the original 6, so basically

A New Hope
    Empire 
    Then 1, 2, 3 as prequels to explain the ending to 2 (which I won't spoil here though suspect everyone must know)
    Return if the Jedi to complete the 6.

Then Rogue One and Solo, then 7, 8, 9.
  • There’s a school of thought you can just skip 1 entirely 
  • You need to watch Rogue One before New Hope
  • I'm a fan of the Star Wars 'Machete' order for the original 6, so basically

A New Hope
    Empire 
    Then 1, 2, 3 as prequels to explain the ending to 2 (which I won't spoil here though suspect everyone must know)
    Return if the Jedi to complete the 6.

Then Rogue One and Solo, then 7, 8, 9.
    I second this. Machete order is by far the best way with Star Wars. Really heightens the stakes for Jedi at the end. Not sure how I’d put Rogue One and Solo in there though. I think this is probably right but I’d consider doing Solo and Rogue One before New Hope. 

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor

Marvel’s The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ant-Man

Doctor Strange

Black Panther

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Captain Marvel

I’ve not seen a single one these films!
  • Ah, you need to indulge your inner child occasionally AFKA! I very much have a soft spot for Thor Ragnarok, as it is glorious silly in places, but it sadly does require having seen some of the other films to get the context of what the hell is going on.

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor

Marvel’s The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ant-Man

Doctor Strange

Black Panther

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Captain Marvel

I’ve not seen a single one these films!
    Wow! 

Marvel overrated IMO but some very enjoyable films in that list. 
  • So @DaveMehmet

Star Wars would be

Phantom Menance
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith 
    Solo
    Rogue 1
    A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Force Awakens
    Last Jedi
    Rise of Skywalker

Have I got that right
    While this is the chronological order, I personally don't think this is the best order to watch them in.
    The original films have some great moments and reveals and these will be spoilt if you watch episodes I - III first.

I'd consider myself a starwars fan and if I were watching these for either the first time or the first time in a long while it would be the following.

Rogue One
    IV - A New Hope
    V - Empire
    VI - Return of the Jedi
    Solo
    I - Phantom Menace
    II - Attack of the Clones
    III - Revenge of the Sith
    VII - A Force Awakens
    VIII - Last Jedi
    IX - Rise of Skywalker

Also quite like the prequel films, they have produced some iconic StarWars moments unlike the new films.