Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite sounds ( not necessarily music ).

Following on from favourite smells how about your favourite sounds. Mine are, small children playing, birdsong, The Red Red Robin when the lads enter the pitch ( also the final whistle when we have won) & voices of family I've not seen for a while.

Comments

• Waves at the seaside. Wind in the trees.
  • An (old) V8 engined car accelerating.
  • A proper crisp fart
  • A running brook. I listened to this sound for about 6 months whilst rehabilitating from a nervous break down and it never failed to help me to get to sleep at night. Very relaxing if that noise has such an effect on you.
  • Babies giggling. Cats purring.
  • A fart in the bath.
    Something dropped into water, (like when Harry Callaghan kicks David Souls police helmet into the Briney in Magnum Force).
    School bell- going home time.
    Car horn (when someone has got their head under the bonnet!)
    The Kettle clicking off - Teas up!
    Berties little growl when he can hear the postman near the door.
    The build up noise before the Tunnel Jump.
    Red Red Robin starting up.
    The sound of a Chinook helicopter thumping away as it gets near.
    The Rolls Royce Merlin in the Spitfires that fly over from Biggin Hill - always look up.
  • A running brook. I listened to this sound for about 6 months whilst rehabilitating from a nervous break down and it never failed to help me to get to sleep at night. Very relaxing if that noise has such an effect on you.
    Makes me visit the little boys room.
  • An (old) V8 engined car accelerating.
    I was going to write this but was beaten by the second comment! good stuff.
  • My wife's favourite sound is the "pop" of a champagne cork. Her second favourite sound is the "pop" of a wine bottle cork. And her third favourite sound is the "pop" of a cork of any other bottle of alcohol.

In fact, I think she's addicted to the sound of the "pop" of a cork because she's always asking me to open another bottle.
  • Many of the above... but one sound I really miss is Concorde.
  • Sponsored links:

• Birdsong
  • A proper crisp fart
    Nothing funnier
  • Used to love the sound of Concorde
  • A light aircraft overhead on a hot summers afternoon.
  • edited June 2020
    iainment said:
    Waves at the seaside. Wind in the trees.
    This, and seagulls in the morning when waking up.
  • My heart beating, at my age this is very important  :)
  • The most favourite sound for a football fan is the one they don’t really hear but, if they do hear it, it’s the worst sound...the sound of one of the two team’s fans roaring goal when one is scored  
  • edited June 2020
    I don't know who, but one of the people in our block keeps ducks. I love it when they all start quacking together, it sounds like they're having a right laugh. 
  • Breaking the seal on the cap on a bottle of spirits .
  • A football crowd from outside the stadium.
  • Sponsored links:

• The hollow plastic noise of a golf ball falling into the hole

The crack of a cricket ball being whacked
  • edited June 2020
    Has to be the right one but love the sound of typing at a computer keyboard and the clicking of a mouse

The sizzling sound of bacon being fried
  • some good ones already mentioned especially Concorde and middling a cricket ball.
    Tyres on a wet cobbled road,
    Clicking of old turnstiles,
    pulling and releasing the arm of a one armed bandit,

• The sound of ball on willow

(as opposed to the grunting of female tennis players)
  • Talking of leather on willow reminds me of the voice of John Arlott.  A truly somniferous sound, in the nicest possible way of course.

Mind you google has just reminded me how old I am, Arlott retired in 1980 :neutral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDzr5pas1v4
  • Silence
  • Woodlark

Song Thrush

Skylark

Baying Bloodhounds