Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Summer 2020

Time, in anticipation of there being some cricket this summer, for a new thread.

Subject to Government approval, England will play Test matches against the West Indies starting on the 8th, 16th and 24th July.

The Windies will send a 25 man squad but three of their players, batsmen Shimron Hetmyer and Darren Bravo and all-rounder Keemo Paul have opted out due to the fear of contracting Covid.

West Indies squad in full: Jason Holder (captain), Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Chemar Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach

Reserve players: Sunil Ambris, Joshua da Silva, Shannon Gabriel, Keon Harding, Kyle Mayers, Preston McSween, Marquino Mindley, Shane Moseley, Anderson Phillip, Oshane Thomas, Jomel Warrican

In an era where fitness is the be all and end all it is refreshing to see Rahkeem Cornwall in the squad. He really is a unit but also a very useful off spinner and as they say hits a long ball. Not one for quick singles though.

Comments

• Was/is there any one day/20-20 action due against the Windies 
    should imagine a lot of time being spent trying to retrieve the ball from the empty stands if so 
  • I hope the Old Trafford and Rose Bowl hotel kitchens are well stocked...
  • Time, in anticipation of there being some cricket this summer, for a new thread.

Subject to Government approval, England will play Test matches against the West Indies starting on the 8th, 16th and 24th July.

The Windies will send a 25 man squad but three of their players, batsmen Shimron Hetmyer and Darren Bravo and all-rounder Keemo Paul have opted out due to the fear of contracting Covid.

West Indies squad in full: Jason Holder (captain), Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Chemar Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach

Reserve players: Sunil Ambris, Joshua da Silva, Shannon Gabriel, Keon Harding, Kyle Mayers, Preston McSween, Marquino Mindley, Shane Moseley, Anderson Phillip, Oshane Thomas, Jomel Warrican

In an era where fitness is the be all and end all it is refreshing to see Rahkeem Cornwall in the squad. He really is a unit but also a very useful off spinner and as they say hits a long ball. Not one for quick singles though.

might be me not keeping up, BUT that Windies squad has a lot of names very new to me .. some great forenames there ((:>)
  • Nasser made a very good point about the West Indies coming here and the credit they deserve for doing so - namely how many of our players would have been keen to go there had they had the numbers of cases of Covid that we have (and still have)?
    Nasser made a very good point about the West Indies coming here and the credit they deserve for doing so - namely how many of our players would have been keen to go there had they had the numbers of cases of Covid that we have (and still have)?

according to today's 'Times', 3 players (at least) refused to tour, including Darren Bravo. Understandable to some extent as the West Indies seems to have escaped the very worst of the pandemic 
  • Nasser made a very good point about the West Indies coming here and the credit they deserve for doing so - namely how many of our players would have been keen to go there had they had the numbers of cases of Covid that we have (and still have)?
    The Tuffers and Vaughan radio shows a few weeks ago said the same thing. If I was in a safe Caribbean Island, I'd be reluctant to come here, especially as unlike usual tours when you can visit friends and relatives, or enjoy a few local "sights", they'll be stuck in 2 hotels.  
    The Tuffers and Vaughan radio shows a few weeks ago said the same thing. If I was in a safe Caribbean Island, I'd be reluctant to come here, especially as unlike usual tours when you can visit friends and relatives, or enjoy a few local "sights", they'll be stuck in 2 hotels.  
    I would have thought that if you were in Manchester you are better off not venturing out but staying in your hotel for the duration.
  • The BBC will show highlights of every Test and one-day international played by England this summer, starting with the three-Test series against West Indies in July.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52920695
  • Great we also have ball by ball on TMS too
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    The BBC will show highlights of every Test and one-day international played by England this summer, starting with the three-Test series against West Indies in July.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52920695
    They are also showing on Saturday evenings highlights of historical England vs Windies matches. This week it's Lord's 1984, I'll be watching from behind the sofa  :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52897775

• A sad but inspirational story nevertheless about Andy Moles who has had to have a leg amputated and the work of the PCA:

https://www.thepca.co.uk/press-release/no-one-is-bulletproof-andy-moles-story/
  • England currently playing a 3 day inter-squad game. Live on the ECB website for anyone desperate for some live cricket!

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/1703010/watch-live-england-men-intra-squad-match
  • Based on what I'm seeing, they have to pick Lawrence, he is 100% ready. Denly and Crawley fighting for one spot then whoever wins that fighting Lawrence when Root returns
  • Preston McSween sounds like a tough as nails Scottish Centre-Back on football manager
    Agreed, this does sound like the pro Evo cricket version. 

Can't wait for this, will just be like watching England v Pakistan in UAE for atmosphere
  • Leuth said:
    Based on what I'm seeing, they have to pick Lawrence, he is 100% ready. Denly and Crawley fighting for one spot then whoever wins that fighting Lawrence when Root returns
    Bracey top scored with 86, Denly got 48 so the top order played pretty well. 
  • Yeah I actually watched it. Denly was scratchy and Bracey is not next in line. Lawrence looked world-class (and then gave it away sloppily) (but looked world-class)
  • Good to hear, hope he can still help the mighty eagles (read: not the shitey stripey eagles) defend their title
  • Leuth said:
    Yeah I actually watched it. Denly was scratchy and Bracey is not next in line. Lawrence looked world-class (and then gave it away sloppily) (but looked world-class)
    Denly and Bracey wore the bowlers down and the shine off the ball, Lawrence got the easy overs  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Big fan of Lawrence and he absolutely should be the one who comes in for Root in the first test. You know they will just pick Bairstow though. Seems like in making Buttler captain of one of these teams they are going to continue with that failed experiment. Foakes must have slept with one of the selectors wives. 

I supported Denly in the winter, he worked hard and was a key part of that top 3 seeing off the new ball more often than not and allowing our middle order players to play their natural game. But Crawley edges him out at 3.

Bracey is unlucky that this is probably the first time since strauss retired in 2013 that someone has impressed opening the batting for england in a warm up game but is down the pecking order.

Moeen did nothing to suggest he should be picked ahead of Leech or Bess. 

For me the bowling attacks in this game are quite uneven (at least when it comes to fast bowlers). The bowling side is certainly the weaker fast bowling attack. Gregory, Overton, Stone, Mahmood all have potential but are unproven and Anderson barely played in a year. For me that is much easier to face than Curran, Woakes, Wood, Archer, Broad which were basically the 5 quicks who England used all winter

I would pick

Burns
    Sibley 
    Crawley
    Lawrence (Root)
    Stokes
    Pope
    Foakes 
    Curran/Woakes
    Archer/Wood
    Leach 
    Broad/Anderson

Rotation of the quick bowlers is going to be key to avoid injury so I've left them all in. I'd be happy with any selection from that group tbh.
  • Where's Root?
  • Where's Root?
    Off for both of a child and then had to self isolate for a period after before being allowed to rejoin the bubble of the squad so missing at least the first test.
  • Where's Root?
    Refused to play as he's got a life changing transfer lined up  :D
  • who is bracey 
  • who is bracey 

Opening batsman for Gloucestershire
  • who is bracey 

Opening batsman for Gloucestershire
    And another wicket keeper too. You can never get enough keepers in your side!

• Given the choice of a batsmen who averages 85 and doesn’t keep or one that does keep and averages 45 , there’s only one winner there !! 
  • Given the choice of a batsmen who averages 85 and doesn’t keep or one that does keep and averages 45 , there’s only one winner there !! 
    Trouble is we have to find a batsman that averages 85 - we've hardly got any that do average even 45 in First Class Cricket. These are 30 of those who have played for England or might be in the frame to play (*denotes wicket keepers, #denotes all rounder) 

Ali (Worcs) 36.72#
    Bairstow (Yorks) 43.85*
    Ballance (Yorks) 47.40 
    Banton (Somerset) 27.14*
    Borthwick (Surrey) 36.38#
    Bracey (Gloucs) 35.45*
    Brown (Sussex) 40.01*
    Burns (Surrey) 42.43*
    Buttler (Lancs) 32.01*
    Clarke (Notts) 37.90
    Crawley (Kent) 31.95
    Denly (Kent) 36.47
    Duckett (Notts) 38.56*
    Foakes (Surrey) 38.01*
    Hales (Notts) 37.81
    Hameed (Lancs) 30.60
    Jennings (Lancs) 33.57
    Lawrence (Essex) 38.42
    Livingstone (Lancs) 41.61
    Lyth (Yorks) 37.85
    Malan (Yorks) 37.43
    Northeast (Hants) 39.16
    Pope (Surrey) 60.68*
    Robson (Middlesex) 37.79
    Root (Yorks) 48.51
    Roy (Surrey) 36.88
    Sibley (Warwicks) 41.48
    Stokes (Durham) 35.04#
    Stoneman (Surrey) 34.61
    Vince (Hants) 38.92
    Westley (Essex) 36.13

Trouble is we have to find a batsman that averages 85 - we've hardly got any that do average even 45 in First Class Cricket. These are 30 of those who have played for England or might be in the frame to play (*denotes wicket keepers, #denotes all rounder) 

Ali (Worcs) 36.72#
    Bairstow (Yorks) 43.85*
    Ballance (Yorks) 47.40 
    Banton (Somerset) 27.14*
    Borthwick (Surrey) 36.38#
    Bracey (Gloucs) 35.45*
    Brown (Sussex) 40.01*
    Burns (Surrey) 42.43*
    Buttler (Lancs) 32.01*
    Clarke (Notts) 37.90
    Crawley (Kent) 31.95
    Denly (Kent) 36.47
    Duckett (Notts) 38.56*
    Foakes (Surrey) 38.01*
    Hales (Notts) 37.81
    Hameed (Lancs) 30.60
    Jennings (Lancs) 33.57
    Lawrence (Essex) 38.42
    Livingstone (Lancs) 41.61
    Lyth (Yorks) 37.85
    Malan (Yorks) 37.43
    Northeast (Hants) 39.16
    Pope (Surrey) 60.68*
    Robson (Middlesex) 37.79
    Root (Yorks) 48.51
    Roy (Surrey) 36.88
    Sibley (Warwicks) 41.48
    Stokes (Durham) 35.04#
    Stoneman (Surrey) 34.61
    Vince (Hants) 38.92
    Westley (Essex) 36.13

I can imagine the selectors looking at that list and immediately panicking about how they only have nine wicket keepers.