Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our Remaining Fixtures

WSSWSS
edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Below are our games left.

As mental as it sounds I still think things are still in our own hands, as are the straws that i'm clutching.

At The Valley
Sat Feb 07 Cardiff City
Sat Feb 14 Plymouth Argyle
Tue Mar 03 Doncaster Rovers
Sat Mar 07 Watford
Sat Mar 21 Preston North End
Sat Apr 11 Birmingham City
Sat Apr 18 Blackpool
Sun May 03 Norwich City

Away
Tue Feb 3 Bristol City
Sat Feb 21 Barnsley
Sat Feb 28 Swansea City
Tue Mar 10 Reading
Sat Mar 14 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Sat Apr 04 Southampton
Mon Apr 13 Coventry City
Sat Apr 25 Derby County

Comments

• the majority of teams in this league are very average and you can't really call it from one game to the next. There is certainly the potential to win many of the remaining games, and I think Oggy's one game at a time view is probably the best way to go.
  • FFS ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    --
    Its over
  • and which games out of that lot are we going to win?? We have won 2 games in 3 months.

I have accepted we are down now...
    I think it is going to be Southampton, us and one other..... I had thought Doncaster.. but have a sneaky feeling it will be Norwich as the 3rd team. Anyone who thinks we are going to stap up will need their heads testing....

Even my best mate whom i had a bet with a month ago has given up the ghost and is prepared to me pay me now.

I wis I was wrong and had hoped as a previous post put it... I have gone past depression. The quicker you accept it the quicker you you will be able to take it and realise we are past hope.

However on a positive note, (if there is one) as a poster said yesterday..this is not the end of Charlton. Let's go down, regroup and move forward. Yes the board have made mistakes... yes they have appointed the wrong bad managers....

Let's not look at the past. go down...regroup and move forward..... as a stronger and better team.

Don't look back look forward !!
  • All you people who limply give up half way through - I'm relieved you don't play football in the same side as me.
  • What makes anyone think we can win enough games to get out of it when we have the worst away record in the division and have already failed to beat the likes of Southampton, Coventry, Forest, Derby and Barnsley at home. Our manager is hopeless, as are his tactics, and we never ever have a settled side. I bet Parky couldn't even name his best XI.
  • so Chris wot ur saying is we have a chance then ??
  • The first couple of weeks of March will be very interesting - what look like being relegation six pointers at home to Doncaster and Watford, followed by probably the two toughest away games of the season at Reading and Wolves.

Of course if we don't pick up our comparative share of points before then, it will all be pretty academic anyway.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Below are our games left.

As mental as it sounds I still think things are still in our own hands, as are the straws that i'm clutching.

At The Valley
    Sat Feb 07 Cardiff City
    Sat Feb 14 Plymouth Argyle
    Tue Mar 03 Doncaster Rovers
    Sat Mar 07 Watford
    Sat Mar 21 Preston North End
    Sat Apr 11 Birmingham City
    Sat Apr 18 Blackpool
    Sun May 03 Norwich City

Away
    Tue Feb 3 Bristol City
    Sat Feb 21 Barnsley
    Sat Feb 28 Swansea City
    Tue Mar 10 Reading
    Sat Mar 14 Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sat Apr 04 Southampton
    Mon Apr 13 Coventry City
    Sat Apr 25 Derby County

stupid boy ;-)
  • So eight homes, all of which are winnable...of the away games only Wolves looks a tough game. Coventry, Southampton etc are struggling.

Those of us who remember the the escape that culminated in the Leeds play-off win at St Andrews will know that we've faced harder ends to a season than this one.
  • But we haven't finished a season strongly for about 10 years...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]So eight homes, all of which are winnable...of the away games only Wolves looks a tough game. Coventry, Southampton etc are struggling.

Those of us who remember the the escape that culminated in the Leeds play-off win at St Andrews will know that we've faced harder ends to a season than this one.

Thank the Lord, BFR ...... a little bit of looking forward to what could be.

Rather than looking back and giving up.
  • at 4.30pm we were 1-0 up and I was looking at the table and grtting into the season again as we were only 6 points off safety - having to play the bottom team (minus Saints ) at home.

at 4.50pm all hope had died.
  • [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]But we haven't finished a season strongly for about 10 years...

So the past is surely the guarantee of the future ... ?
  • We will be playing League One football next season, we've all known deep down since before Christmas.

If we wasn't Charlton fans we would all be saying Charlton are going down. 1 win in 20. 9 points adrift. It looks hopeless.
  • Someone has to win the matches (unless they are draws), why can't it be us?

Some of the teams around us are in trouble too - and we have to play them.
  • Yep of course, it feels hopeless if you've given up.

Back to today's match, Burnley went a goal down before half time. They hadn't won for about 6 league matches themselves.
    But I bet they didn't come out for the 2nd half, thinking f*ck it, we'll give up.

And I don't suppose Charlton did either.
  • edited January 2009
    What a killer. If you can avoid it, I advise you NOT to look at the table.

We are now further off the pace than we were BEFORE the win against Palace - nine points, effectively 10 due to us having the worst GD in the divison by miles, as everybody so helpfully points out all the time.

Win our next three games on the spin and we will STILL be in the bottom three.
    But the teams above us aren't going to wait for us to catch up, so if we win the next four we will still be in the drop zone. As if that's going to happen anyway!

All very well saying it's in our own hands and don't look at the other teams. But when we're 9/10 points adrift that simply doesn't work. We have to start winning every week and three other teams have to start losing every week.

I know Oggy keeps saying the only target that matters is to win the next game. But when we don't even lessen the gulf when we win for the frst time in three months, as happened on Tuesday, it's heartbreaking. One step forward. Two steps backwards. This evebning we are further off safety than we were before the mid-week win. Agggghhhh....

I really don't think I can stand much more. My head told me that Palace wasn't a turning point. But you always try to convince yourself, or let the optmists on this board convince you.

Is raising false hopes worse than having no hope? Right now I have to say yes. Yes, obviously I want us to beat Bristol City on Tues. But if we do, you just know it's then going to be the same false dawn and double the disappointment all over again.

Think I'm going to log off, think about my skiing hol next week and dream about the start of the cricket season.

But I probably feel a bit better for getting that off my chest. Sorry to be so selfish. But there we are...
  • "we have nothing to fear except fear itself" (Churchill ?)
  • nice to be able to afford a sking holiday nigel we are in a credit crunch ;-(
  • I share your pain, Nigel.

So we can look at the table and think, "oh, that's then, impossible to catch up.
    Anyway, it'll be great to play Leyton Orient again next season" - gives us no chance at all.

So to just look at the next match and aim to go for 3 points at least is one step - and a chance.
    And a chance is always better than no chance.

So, whether you personally think so or not, as it stands we still have a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]"we have nothing to fear except fear itself" (Churchill ?)

It was Roosevelt, from his inaugural address in 1933.

Churchill said: "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I share your pain, Nigel.

So we can look at the table and think, "oh, that's then, impossible to catch up.
    Anyway, it'll be great to play Leyton Orient again next season" - gives us no chance at all.

So to just look at the next match and aim to go for 3 points at least is one step - and a chance.

So, whether you personally think so or not, as it stands we still have a chance.[/quote]

No - we don't. Accept it. And look forward to winning some games next year. Be a realist - it's a nasty world out there - both economically and in football terms - and only realising this and working out how you can get through it and come back stronger will ensure you survive now.
  • NSS said: ''nice to be able to afford a skiiing holiday nigel we are in a credit crunch ''

Luckily in my position I'm recession-proof, Steve - never had any credit in my life : not even a mortage and always bought my houses with cash. But I'd happily give up the skiing and take out a massive mortgage for wins against Bristol City and Cardiff, I promise you...

I remember a game v Liverpool at Selhurst in the mid-late 80s. We were three -nil down in about 20 mins. So we took out our wallets, started waving them at the Scousers and singing ''We've got jobs, you ain't.'' Of course, the truth was that most of us would have swapped our jobs just like that for the team they had!
  • A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
  • Where are you going skiing?

I was gonna go out today but am too hacked off after that result, if it warms up a bit tomorrow I'll be off to the local hill.
  • edited January 2009
    La Plagne/Les Arcs, Oakster. Snow's really good this year,too...

And I tell you what else - I'm going to book a trip to go and watch some cricket in the West Indies, too. . Normally I try to keep winter hols to a minimum and always fit the skiing trips in between CAFC home matches if I can. This season, for some reason, I suddenly feel like getting away. As often as I possibly can!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I share your pain, Nigel.

So, whether you personally think so or not, as it stands we still have a chance.

No - we don't. Accept it. And look forward to winning some games next year. Be a realist - it's a nasty world out there - both economically and in football terms - and only realising this and working out how you can get through it and come back stronger will ensure you survive now.

Definition of a Realist .... give up, slit my wrists and enjoy the misery?

Nope, not my way. We might have only 16 games left, but that's a third of the season to play.
    That's still a reasonable chance.

Anyway, most teams in relegation struggles prove that it's easier to stay up, then meekly get relegated and 'guarantee' promoton the next season.
  • The thing is "we are already down" isn't the realistic position, it's the defeatist position. The realistic position is that we are a significant number of points adrift, and we are going to have to do significantly better than we have so far this season, or 3 other teams are going to have to totally blow it in order for us to get out of it. But the season is not over yet, and we are not mathematically incapable of overtaking three other teams. Keeping going on how we are doomed when we aren't yet is no more realistic than the rosetinted brigade, and the rosetinted brigade are having a much better time of it.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]La Plagne/Les Arcs, Oakster. Snow's really good this year,too...

And I tell you what else - I'm going to book a trip to go and watch some cricket in the West Indies, too. . Normally I try to keep winter hols to a minimum and always fit the skiing trips in between CAFC home matches if I can. This season, for some reason, I suddenly feel like getting away. As often as I possibly can!!!

I'm off to Mexico in 3 weeks - hope the hotel has an internet connection!!
  • It's the hope that kills you....but I really like Oggy's attitude. Even though it looks bleak you never give up right? Because that is what it is all about. You have to stand and count for something even if it slides away from you. I think every one of us knows that it is going to have to be an incredible turn around to get us out of this and that is, of course, "realistic". But try as I might I know I'm still not ready to give it up.
    It's not about being a better supporter, I don't mean that at all, it's just a state of mind. I can totally understand why people have written us off because after we lost to sheff weds I came close to doing the same.
    If and when it's a done deal and we are officially down then I will be able to take it.
    But I'm just not ready to do it I don't like giving up till i really have to.
    Come on Charlton