Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Iconic Music TV moments

1967 -The Beatles singing All You Need Is Love - First live satellite link
1972 Bowie -Starman Top of the Pops -Arm around Mick Ronson - had to see it to know what I mean
1976 Sex Pistols - Bill Grundy

Comments

• edited August 2020
    Oasis going on Top of The Pops and protesting against the show's insistence of miming by switching Noel and Liam around. 
  • Queen delivering arguably the best gig in live television history at Live Aid.
  • L7 singer Donita Sparks getting her muff out on The Word.

• The BBC doing its best not to have a close up of Robert Wyatt in a wheelchair, I'm glad things have moved on......slightly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ivg0cDBgo
  • Nirvana on The Word. 
  • Hey Jude - The Beatles, on the David Frost show in 1968, when as the song played out they opened the studios to the crowd gathered outside and the band finished surrounded by fans clapping and singing along to this astonishing anthemic coming-of-age song, transforming a TV appearance into an iconic event
  • Nine below Zero popping up on the first episode of the Young Ones. In those days there were no spoilers so a real surprise. I think they had to present it as a cabaret to get the funding, hence the music. Most of the bands were good and it just enhanced the madness.
  • Kanye vs Taylor Swift at the awards ceremony. The moment he went from musician who can be a bit weird to weirdo who sometimes does music.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Special AKA giving clenched fist salutes while singing "Free Nelson Mandela" on TOTP

• Boy George first appearance on TOTP
  • Hal1x said:
    Boy George first appearance on TOTP
    Before that, Sylvester. 
  • Jimi Hendrix stopping on Live Lulu show on BBC to play a Cream song.
  • The Rolling Stones defiantly breaking protocol and tradition by refusing to appear on the revolving stage with the other guests at the end of their appearance on "Sunday night at the London Palladium"
    Might sound lame now but it caused outrage at the time (which was their intention)
  • edited August 2020
    5 Star getting asked why they're "so f****** crap", live on a Saturday Superstore phone in.
  • Jarvis Cocker/Michael Jackson at The Brits in 96.

Jarvis bares all Picture YouTube

• Didn't some all girl band perform on The Word or White Room naked from the waist down? Seem to remember something like that
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised no one has mentioned Bill Grundy interviewing the Pistols yet...so that's my 'kin nomination innit. 
  • not sure if it was only on the radio but had a feeling it was live on TV- Rage against the machine after getting to Christmas number 1. the presenter told them not to do the last part which has the words "fuck you i wont do what you tell me" which of course they didn't comply with and the BBC scrambled around to cut the live broadcast. 
  • Surprised no one has mentioned Bill Grundy interviewing the Pistols yet...so that's my 'kin nomination innit. 
    Mentioned in first post
  • ...oh gawd the shame of it.

Missed that totally. Off to flog myself as penitence. 
  • Didn't some all girl band perform on The Word or White Room naked from the waist down? Seem to remember something like that
    Link please  ;)
  • first showing of Thriller on a The Tube special episode at midnight 
    Link please  ;)
    It was L7 on The Word mate, but it was only the lead singer and her guitar is in the way. Sorry
    Link please  ;)
    It was L7 on The Word mate, but it was only the lead singer and her guitar is in the way. Sorry
    Hey ho!
    Maybe somebody should start a thread on iconic sexual moments on TV.
    You know, like Anna Friel's lesbian kiss on Brookie or Ena Sharples flashing her hold-ups on Corrie  ;)
    Link please  ;)
    Hey ho!
    You know, like Anna Friel's lesbian kiss on Brookie or Ena Sharples flashing her hold-ups on Corrie  ;)
    The Charlton soccerette flashing her growler on Soccer AM
  • edited August 2020
    Didn't some all girl band perform on The Word or White Room naked from the waist down? Seem to remember something like that
    Link please  ;)
    Hey ho!
    Well if you’re taking the thread in that direction. Blondie’s first appearance on TOTP ‘Denis Denis oh with your eyes so blue.......’