Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I see Barker is only sub. 

Is he being held back to cover any defender contingencies for the 1st team game tomorrow night?

No, he was promoted to the 1st team because he was young enough to not count under the embargo.  As well as he did, others from the U23 squad would have been ahead of him if that wasn't the case.  They probably are ahead of him again now. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I see Barker is only sub. 

Is he being held back to cover any defender contingencies for the 1st team game tomorrow night?

No, he was promoted to the 1st team because he was young enough to not count under the embargo.  As well as he did, others from the U23 squad would have been ahead of him if that wasn't the case.  They probably are ahead of him again now. 
    Good point. Was it the fact that Barker was only a scholar and not professional that enabled him to be selected?

Otherwise professional under-21s like Jay Mingi could have been selected.

Edit: I remember now. Any pro at any level that appeared for the 1st team would have counted as a 1st team player - and denied Bowyer the chance to sign another player under embargo.

• Options
    Anyone know how the game is going?

No updates during the last 50 minutes.

• Options
    Doesnt help they've lost Davison from that team
  • Options
    Concerned about Wassim. 

I had hoped that he might have been an option against Orient in the Mickey Mouse Cup. 

The lad seems to have no luck. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the shirt numbers, and there only being 4 players on the bench, it looks like whoever was down to wear Number 9 was a late withdrawal
    No no9, good to see the youngsters trying to replicate the first team squad
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Concerned about Wassim. 

I had hoped that he might have been an option against Orient in the Mickey Mouse Cup. 

The lad seems to have no luck. 
    Best case scenario is that he felt something on the warm up and wasn’t risked. But this is Charlton and you probably have cause for concern 
  • Options
    Oh excellent, glad Wassim isnt injured as feared
  • Options
    Probably just being managed for now
  • Options
    Yep, and we've got a Dylan Gavin appearance, too.

On the downside, if the betting exchanges are to be believed, we should get hammered.
  • Options
    Gavin on the bench.

Was scoring loads for the U18s and now with the U23s
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Probably just being managed for now
    Wouldnt surprise me but he tweeted after the last game about being angry so made me worry he'd had a set back
    Yep, and we've got a Dylan Gavin appearance, too.

On the downside, if the betting exchanges are to be believed, we should get hammered.
    Great spot, hadnt seen him in the U18s of late so good to see he's being tested
  • Options
    Good to see Bromley Addicks own favourite Osaghae starting in goal too @GlassHalfFull
  • Options
    Wiredu given the 7 shirt last week, the 10 shirt this week, wonder where we are playing him? Obviously the little first team action he has had has been at right back, but I imagine, like Doughty, he's actually more suited to playing further forwards
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only 4 subs again, a late change but early enough to correct the 1-11?
  • Options
    The current run of 2 games a week is unfortunate for the likes of Morgan and Vennings, who are regularly in the 1st team squad but not playing, as they aren't getting any U23 action either.

It also seems weird that one minute (through circumstances) Barker is a first team regular, and the next he's on the bench for the U23s and hardly playing. It's not as if the U23 defenders ahead of him have got anywhere near the first team, even in our defensive crisis last Saturday - why wasn't one of them on the bench instead of one of the 3 young midfielders Morgan, Levitt and Vennings?
  • Options
    The current run of 2 games a week is unfortunate for the likes of Morgan and Vennings, who are regularly in the 1st team squad but not playing, as they aren't getting any U23 action either.

It also seems weird that one minute (through circumstances) Barker is a first team regular, and the next he's on the bench for the U23s and hardly playing. It's not as if the U23 defenders ahead of him have got anywhere near the first team, even in our defensive crisis last Saturday - why wasn't one of them on the bench instead of one of the 3 young midfielders Morgan, Levitt and Vennings?
    Barker played for the U18s in their defeat against Crewe
  • Options
    Only 4 subs again, a late change but early enough to correct the 1-11?
    Possible, but I don't think so on this occasion.

Four of the U23 squad are out on loan
    1st team game tomorrow
    FA Cup and EFL Trophy games for the likes of Barker, Vennings and Morgan on Saturday and next midweek 
    FA Youth Cup game this Thursday

One young sub for each area of the pitch should be OK for tonight.
  • Options

Barker played for the U18s in their defeat against Crewe
    Cheers, I'll take back my previous comment  :D
  • Options

Sounds like super Joe is having a great game in goal
  • Options
    Cheers for sharing the tweets.

Shame we lost.

• Options
    4 red cards (for us or the opposition) in our last 6 first team games, and one in tonight's U23 game!