Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When did you last miss a home game?

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
At the height of my disenchantment this season, following the defeat at home to Forest in January, I booked a holiday clashing with the home games against Doncaster and Watford. They'll be the first competetive home games I've missed since we lost 3-1 at home to Grimsby in November 1996 (David Whyte for us, a certain Clive Mendonca with 2 for Grimsby). Anyone else got any long runs in progress or acheived a similar stretch in the past?

Comments

• DA9DA9
    edited February 2009
    I miss quite a few, I work every other Saturday, so for me its a case of if & when.

I've done a stretch, but that's another story :-)
  • Thats a great run MrLargo - well done.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Thats a great run MrLargo - well done.[/quote]

Cheers mate. Been to some shocking games during the last 12 and a half years just for the sake of not missing one. Glad it's coming to an end in some ways - means I won't feel obliged to go to pointless Johnstones Paint Trophy games next season!
  • I missed the QPR home game at xmas due to being ill - first home game in years that I havn't seen, inc cup and pre-season friendlies.

Last missed a home game in mid 90's due to a wedding in Australia that I went to. All holidays are planned around games and usually go away Sun to Sun so that I don't miss a home game.
  • a few in December because wifey was ill and I had to look after baby

Almost going to miss this coming Tuesday as work wanted me to go to Madrid to do some training but i have passified them by saying I will do it as an online demo - phew!!
  • Great run Largo, i doth cap to you.

How you have managed to avoid holidays, illness, weddings etc over that period is incredible.

I always miss 1 or 2 a season through things i can't avoid.
  • Haven't missed a home game in the league or cup for about 20 years, missed three friendlies though.
  • You show off!
  • Leicster 2007

Sister In Law decided to get married ona home game silly cow
  • Sponsored links:

• Birmingham City at Home under Curbs when we won 2-0 & Bent destroyed Melchiot as was in New York.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Birmingham City at Home under Curbs when we won 2-0 & Bent destroyed Melchiot as was in New York.
    Melchiot was in New York? No wonder Benty beat him so easily. ;-)
  • Last home game of last season, dont know who it was

But this is the first season i've been back in the UK and back in the south of 7 or so years, hence only season haven't missed a home game.
  • Plymouth, before that, Reading.

Nightmare.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Great run Largo, i doth cap to you.

How you have managed to avoid holidays, illness, weddings etc over that period is incredible.

I always miss 1 or 2 a season through things i can't avoid.[/quote]

Usually go on holiday during international breaks. Last season I paid extra to go in June rather than May in order to avoid clashing with the play-offs and then watched in disgust as we plummeted down the table. I've been to plenty of games whilst riddled with colds and man flu and seriously questioned my own sanity. Been very lucky with weddings generally although seem to remember having to explain to someone that I wouldn't be able to attend the happiest day of their life as we were at home to Oxford United. Not heard from him for a while, can't imagine why...
  • Plymouth. Been on hoilday to Argentina for the last 3 weeks
  • I've missed 4 home games this season which is the most for some time.

Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Bristol City and Derby County.
  • Plymouth. Been away on hoilday in Argentina for the past 3 weeks
  • Missed 2 games since our return, Derby this year (would have gone if it hadn't been on telly) and Ipswich on a boxing day, both through illness.
  • Barnsley this season was the first home game I had missed since early 2005, I then followed that up with forgetting about the Southampton game and going on an all dayer I think instead. I have been saying for the last couple of years that the football gets in the way of the drinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Missed Southampton earlier this season, annual pub crawl that's never missed.
  • Been to every home game since the play-off season in 98. Was due to miss the Cardiff game so couldn't believe my luck when it was called off.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Leicster 2007

Sister In Law decided to get married ona home game silly cow

That's the trouble with women, so bloody inconsiderate.
  • Blackburn home when Curbs announced he was going, was on a Stag Do
  • Reading at the start of the season. Always miss one or two home games a season, due to work/Holidays. Will have a chat with 2 good mates of mine on saturday. They hardly miss a game home and away, so would be interesting to find out the last time they missed a home game.
  • Coca Cola Cup v Ipswich Aug 1997 is mine.
  • I haven't missed a home game since a 2-1 win over Derby in Feb 2001, parker scored the winner after a long run from jensen, deano saved a pen then went off injured and i consequently missed tony caig's only 45 minutes playing for the first team, which i wasnt tremendously gutted about.

this run included a vast number of costly and time consuming trips to and from uni when i lived in birmingham, often involving hiding from my dad at the game cos i didnt want him to b*llock me for wasting 50 odd quid traipsing down for some insignificant midweek game. most annoying was the arduous early hours train journey back from euston after being 2nil up in the league cup at home to blackburn only to lose 3-2, only days after achieving the same feat in a league game with spurs.

most amusing was when my somewhat unreliable old metro broke down at 10.30pm in the BP petrol station on the woolwich road after a 2nil midweek win over spurs. i had no AA cover, couldnt get back to birmingham and couldnt go home cos i hadnt told my dad id come back for the game. This lead to a bizarre night spent attempting to have a kip in the bloody car and also enlisting the assistance of some passing coppers who pushed the car around the forecourt in a failed bid to get it going.

The recent demise of my relationship combined with our pitiful form has quite frankly lead me to question what the f*ck ive been doing for the last 8 years!Unfortunately though, I have no likely excuse to miss a game on the horizon. Oh and needless to say, the metro was scrapped some time ago with not a great deal of regret.
  • I don't go to home games, only away ones. Wouldn't want the eejits currently in charge of Charlton to have my money, to be honest. No offence to those who do still go to home games but to be fair are you happy that you're still proppping them (the destructors/bailouts on the board) up?
  • I missed Nottm Forest last but i was ill and i was desperate to go but doctor advised me not to.
  • [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]I don't go to home games, only away ones. Wouldn't want the eejits currently in charge of Charlton to have my money, to be honest. No offence to those who do still go to home games but to be fair are you happy that you're still proppping them (the destructors/bailouts on the board) up?

???