Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harry Arter and Ben Godfrey - trial at Gillingham

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
TeamTalk
Gillingham manager Mark Stimson is set to run the rule over two Charlton youngsters when the reserves take on QPR on Thursday afternoon.

Midfielder Harry Arter, 19, and youth-team striker Ben Godfrey are both set to line-up for the Gills' second string, with Stimson keen to keep his first-team squad members out of the firing line ahead of Saturday's League Two clash with Bournemouth.

"There won't be many first-team players playing to be honest as we've got the game on Saturday," said Stimson.

"What we don't need is someone getting a knock in the reserves on Thursday and only having 48 hours to recover.

"He (Arter) looks good in training, central midfield, both feet, he likes to get on the ball and play and he's tenacious. I look forward to seeing him play on Thursday. He is available if we think we need someone in that area of the pitch."

Why is Arter available? He's gone from being promising like Josh Wright, making his first team debut to now looking like he's going to be released in the summer.

Maybe it's because we just want to loan him out but it seems like the club just don't rate him any more. What's changed?

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited February 2009
    Obviously Mark Robson still thinks they could be good enough.

For League 2.
  • "He is available if we think we need someone in that area of the pitch."

I hope that is a loan only. Arter is too good a prospect to release. He had a bad injury and probably needs games. He has serious competition in our midfield with Wright and Shelvey coming through too but surely they are not going to release him.
  • surly this for a loan deal only, godfrey and arter were promising youngsters doubt we will let them go, if we do go down would expect these to be knocking on the door
  • Maybe they just haven't been pictured in the papers in womens underwear enough for us to keep them?
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]surly this for a loan deal only, godfrey and arter were promising youngsters doubt we will let them go, if we do go down would expect these to be knocking on the door

Godfrey has been released, was announced by the Club last week.
  • Might have something to do with his outragious wages considering he's been injured pretty much since he signed his first pro contract.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Godfrey has been released

really? feck... i thought he was ok.. shows what i know..
  • Shame if we are to let Arter go, thought he looked good the couple of times I saw him play and with Wright seemingly a bit of a nob, Shelvey possibly not staying around for too long, Holland likely to be released and ZZ off to pastures new in the summer the competition for places should fall away somewhat... That said our coaching staff see him every day, I have seen him play twice so I think I will go with them on this.
  • Arter does seem to have dropped down the pecking order especially with Wright, Shelvey, Stavinou (sp) and Yussef coming through the youth ranks.

How many young midfielders do you hang on to? Maybe Arter's injuries have told against him. He was certainly talked up as a prospect a few years back but he must be 20 now.

Always a shame to see a young player go so if he is leaving then good luck.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]surly this for a loan deal only, godfrey and arter were promising youngsters doubt we will let them go, if we do go down would expect these to be knocking on the door

I'm not surprised. He never really looked sharp enough, to me...

BAP_BBC_5204.jpg
  • Sponsored links:

• Good point about Mark Robson, probably him who recommended/suggested they had a look at them.
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Godfrey has been released

really? feck... i thought he was ok.. shows what i know..

That's the thing, he's ok, nothing more. Nothing particularly great about his game, probably nothing terrible either. At least that's how he looked when I saw him.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]How many young midfielders do you hang on to? Maybe Arter's injuries have told against him. He was certainly talked up as a prospect a few years back but he must be 20 now.

Same age as Wright, 20 next season.
  • Checked. Born 28 Dec 89 so 19.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Maybe they just haven't been pictured in the papers in womens underwear enough for us to keep them?[/quote]

????
    Do i need to know this ????
  • It was all to do with the Jade wedding, as Wrighty's mates with the groom.
  • To let Arter go is absolute madness and a indictment of the current management structure. He has more to his game than Wright and Shelvey (at this stage) and looks to me that he can emulate his brother-in-law, whose style he closely resembles. Stimpson can obviously see this and I'd be very surprised if he is not playing against us (or at a higher level) next season. It makes you wonder how much management involvement there is in disposing of prize assets that have been expensively nurtured through the academy. Have the lessons of big Dan and Turner not been learned? Expect to add Charlie Mac to the list soon - he is going on to better things.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite] Expect to add Charlie Mac to the list soon - he is going on to better things.
    maybe but it has been taking him a long time
  • Maybe but Arter didn't set the world on fire at Staines Town.

Charlie McDonald was offered a contract extension and turned it down. Since then he's never played about division 4 level and was in non-league for ages so not really proved Curbs wrong has he.

Turner seems to have done well but Hull are dropping fast with him at the back and Shittu doesn't seem to be getting many games at Bolton.

As we let them both go when we were a premiership team neither has really taught us a lesson have they?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Maybe but Arter didn't set the world on fire at Staines Town.

Charlie McDonald was offered a contract extension and turned it down. Since then he's never played about division 4 level and was in non-league for ages so not really proved Curbs wrong has he.

Turner seems to have done well but Hull are dropping fast with him at the back and Shittu doesn't seem to be getting many games at Bolton.

As we let them both go when we were a premiership team neither has really taught us a lesson have they?

agree with all that except Arter. When he went to Staines he had only just recovered from a year out and it was really all about getting him fit rather the performances. Hopefully he'll go to Gillingham and get even fitter and play some first team games.
  • Well as a centre back partnership they'd be far away our first choice at the moment and they'd fall into the ever increasing bracket of players that we couldn't hope to attract for the forseeable future, so I'm not really understanding the positive spin.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]To let Arter go is absolute madness and a indictment of the current management structure. He has more to his game than Wright and Shelvey (at this stage) and looks to me that he can emulate his brother-in-law, whose style he closely resembles. Stimpson can obviously see this and I'd be very surprised if he is not playing against us (or at a higher level) next season. It makes you wonder how much management involvement there is in disposing of prize assets that have been expensively nurtured through the academy. Have the lessons of big Dan and Turner not been learned? Expect to add Charlie Mac to the list soon - he is going on to better things.
    Man - why arent you working at the club?!

If you can derive all of that from seeing him just at matches, imagine what you'd be like if you were a qualified professional spending time with our players day in day out!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Well as a centre back partnership they'd be far away our first choice at the moment and they'd fall into the ever increasing bracket of players that we couldn't hope to attract for the forseeable future, so I'm not really understanding the positive spin.

yes, at the moment. but that is your spin on it.

You are comparing them with who we have NOW not who we had THEN when we let them go (for fees that included sell ons which mean we'll still get something if Turner is sold)

So Rufus, Fish, Fortune, Brown, Todd, Youds (and Costa on loan) were all in the squad when we let Shittu go and some of same would have been around when Turner left.

I still remember Darren Bent going past him like he wasn't there in the Cup v Brentford but he's done well so good luck to the lad.

Whoever took Turner to Hull deserves some praise. Been a good signing for them. Who was it BTW?
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Maybe but Arter didn't set the world on fire at Staines Town.

agree with all that except Arter. When he went to Staines he had only just recovered from a year out and it was really all about getting him fit rather the performances. Hopefully he'll go to Gillingham and get even fitter and play some first team games.

Fair points. Hope he does well.
  • What Henry and Large said.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Well as a centre back partnership they'd be far away our first choiceat the momentand they'd fall into the ever increasing bracket of players that we couldn't hope to attract for the forseeable future, so I'm not really understanding the positive spin.

yes,at the moment.but that is your spin on it.

You are comparing them with who we have NOW not who we had THEN when we let them go (for fees that included sell ons which mean we'll still get something if Turner is sold)

So Rufus, Fish, Fortune, Brown, Todd, Youds (and Costa on loan) were all in the squad when we let Shittu go and some of same would have been around when Turner left.

I still remember Darren Bent going past him like he wasn't there in the Cup v Brentford but he's done well so good luck to the lad.

Whoever took Turner to Hull deserves some praise. Been a good signing for them. Who was it BTW?

This seems to brought up every time Turner or Shittu are mentioned. Campbell-Ryce is another one.

I completely agree with you. They are only at the level they are today because we let them go, they got League One and Championship experience, and developed into the players they are now.

Look at another centre back coming through, Mambo. Because we'll be in the Championship or League One for next season and probably a few seasons after that, he has a real chance of breaking through. If we were still in the Prem, he'd have probably gone on loan before being sold, like Shittu and Turner both did.
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]surly this for a loan deal only, godfrey and arter were promising youngsters doubt we will let them go, if we do go down would expect these to be knocking on the door

He wasn't actually released if i remember correctly he was one of a list of players due to be released at the end of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Whoever took Turner to Hull deserves some praise. Been a good signing for them. Who was it BTW?

Parkinson was the Hull manager so it must have been his assistant
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]He wasn't actually released if i remember correctly he was one of a list of players due to be released at the end of the season.

that is really splitting hairs !!!! Released, due to be released, what is the fecking difference.
  • Harry Arter? that will really upset the other Griffindors if he goes..... ;-)
  • If Arter was that good we would not be letting him go FACT
  • It's probably not even a question if he's any good or not.

The management staff will already know what he's capable of doing but they probably have a couple of criteria:

1) It's already been announced that players will only be retained if they are expected to play a part in the 1st team next season.

2) Arter was out for a year with an injury that has finished some players. So has that injury in their opinion slowed him down, likely to recur again/regularly/retire him prematurely - and has it affected his speed, turning ability and performance significantly?

It might be that at 19, whatever his ability on the ball, at this level the player is already regarded as a crock.
    I truly hope I'm wrong.