Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Thinking of the stupid ridiculous exaggerated leave as introduced by Steve Smith..maybe theres some way it can be controlled in the laws of the game 

It's not a good example and if it hasn't infiltrated club cricket yet it will do sometime soon...
  • Excellent summary!

• can't wait for the sequel
  • lolwray said:
    Thinking of the stupid ridiculous exaggerated leave as introduced by Steve Smith..maybe theres some way it can be controlled in the laws of the game 

It's not a good example and if it hasn't infiltrated club cricket yet it will do sometime soon...
    courtney walsh was the OG of the exaggerated leave.
  • Very poor by Smith, as no way can that be classed as accidental or even instinctive as he shouldn't have been on the crease full stop.
  • I find it all rather pathetic. I can't imagine what was going through his mind. He doesn't get the difference between being highly competitive and cheating.
  • Weird thing is, what did it achieve really?

Takes about 10 seconds to take guard again.
  • I find it all rather pathetic. I can't imagine what was going through his mind. He doesn't get the difference between being highly competitive and cheating.
    I can
  • Sponsored links:

• Weird thing is, what did it achieve really?

If you notice it, yes.  Smith did two things.  One was to destroy the guard that was there.  If he'd stopped there, the batsman would have just re-marked it.  But the second thing he did was to mark a new one.  It's possible that a batsman wouldn't notice it had been re-marked and placed against another guard.  
  • Chizz said:
    I find it all rather pathetic. I can't imagine what was going through his mind. He doesn't get the difference between being highly competitive and cheating.
    I can
    I get your point, @chizz. I was wondering how he was thinking he would get away with it.
  • Rubbing out the guard is bad, but to then put another one in !!!

mind you, I am not sure why batsmen have to ask umpires for a guard anyway.
  • Chizz said:
    Weird thing is, what did it achieve really?

If you notice it, yes.  Smith did two things.  One was to destroy the guard that was there.  If he'd stopped there, the batsman would have just re-marked it.  But the second thing he did was to mark a new one.  It's possible that a batsman wouldn't notice it had been re-marked and placed against another guard.  
    Ah hadn't noticed he'd added another one.
  • edited January 2021
    Looking back at the video, it's not clear that he is marking the new guard with his studded swipes that he performed 5 times! That was either the act of wiping it or marking a pretend one. I cannot be sure.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Rubbing out the guard is bad, but to then put another one in !!!

erm, so they know where their stumps are? So they can play a certain side of the wicket to a specific bowler?
  • MrOneLung said:

erm, so they know where their stumps are? So they can play a certain side of the wicket to a specific bowler?
    I know why they are asking the Umpire (to get their bat in front of the stumps in position they want) I was more pondering as to why they should ask the umpire to tell them rather than make their own decision.

• I call that cheating. Anything that is not necessary or disrupts the player /surface is cheating. No ons else apart from the batsman and bowler should be on the wicket. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

I know why they are asking the Umpire (to get their bat in front of the stumps in position they want) I was more pondering as to why they should ask the umpire to tell them rather than make their own decision.

A batsman cannot view the line of his stump from 22 yards away. The Umpire can. 

It has no more relevance that the placement of a football for a corner. A ref spraying the floor to keep a wall at a 10 yard distance. It's just part of that sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

... because the umpire has the best view and its the gentlemanly thing to do?
  • Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bat. 

65-3 Lunch. 

Stuart Broad: 2-14 from five overs

Sam Curran: 0-8 from four overs

Mark Wood: 0-10 from three overs

Dom Bess: 1-17 from six overs

Jack Leach: 0-15 from six overs

• 78-3

some shocking shot selection for the wickets 
  • 81-5 

3 for Broad 
  • I’m not up to date on cricket at the moment and didn’t even realise the game was on. 

Very surprised to see bairstow back. What has happened to burns, pope and stokes 
  • 105-6 another shocking wicket 

• I’m not up to date on cricket at the moment and didn’t even realise the game was on. 

Very surprised to see bairstow back. What has happened to burns, pope and stokes 

Stokes rested 
    pope injured I believe and not sure on Burns possibly injured as well 

Stokes rested 
    pope injured I believe and not sure on Burns possibly injured as well 
    Burns wife had their first child this week so he's missing the whole tour. 
  • Just shows how weak our batting cover is if bairstow is back in