Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

sociology

Does anyone have a particular background in this field?

Would you say we have hit a rather historic side of it and the subject will now be considered more interesting and relevant?

Comments

• No particular background other than a short study as a precursor to my psychology degreee. Nowadays my engagement is limited to listening to the excellent 'Thinking Allowed'. I'd think that it's always interesting and relevant though. Whether 'more' so is a moot point, but I think the ways that we now interact digitally throw up some very interesting questions.  
  • edited January 2021
    🎶Da da da da darrrrrrr🎶..........Tales of the unexpected!😰😰😰
  • Dave2l said:

Would you say we have hit a rather historic side of it and the subject will now be considered more interesting and relevant?
    Urgh. Just had a flashback to Durkheim and suicide, moral panics, participant observation and functionalism...

Hated Sociology, had to do it because it was either that, Home Economics or History as a GCSE option
  • Around wartime there was a scheme know as 'Mass Observation' I believe.
  • I was entered for the exam in error for O level sociology way way back in 1971. I wasn’t even taking the subject. The master responsible asked me to sit the exam even if I walked out after 30 minutes. After discussing this with him he said look. Answer the questions but don’t say anything definite. He said use the terms “it would seem” or it would appear” and see how it goes. I sat the exam and got a B pass 👏👍 That’s 100% true story.
    That’s amazing! 
  • se9addick said:
    I was entered for the exam in error for O level sociology way way back in 1971. I wasn’t even taking the subject. The master responsible asked me to sit the exam even if I walked out after 30 minutes. After discussing this with him he said look. Answer the questions but don’t say anything definite. He said use the terms “it would seem” or it would appear” and see how it goes. I sat the exam and got a B pass 👏👍 That’s 100% true story.
    That’s amazing! 
    It was very early in Sociology as far as subject choices were concerned. Reading the above I noticed the terminology used by Leroy. I didn’t have and still don’t have any understanding of that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I was entered for the exam in error for O level sociology way way back in 1971. I wasn’t even taking the subject. The master responsible asked me to sit the exam even if I walked out after 30 minutes. After discussing this with him he said look. Answer the questions but don’t say anything definite. He said use the terms “it would seem” or it would appear” and see how it goes. I sat the exam and got a B pass 👏👍 That’s 100% true story.
    Ah.
    That's why you can inject the vaccine then.
  • edited January 2021
    seth plum said:
    I was entered for the exam in error for O level sociology way way back in 1971. I wasn’t even taking the subject. The master responsible asked me to sit the exam even if I walked out after 30 minutes. After discussing this with him he said look. Answer the questions but don’t say anything definite. He said use the terms “it would seem” or it would appear” and see how it goes. I sat the exam and got a B pass 👏👍 That’s 100% true story.
    Ah.
    That's why you can inject the vaccine then.
    Given the chance I could. I didn’t get a F in woodwork 😂
  • se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:

Urgh. Just had a flashback to Durkheim and suicide, moral panics, participant observation and functionalism...

Hated Sociology, had to do it because it was either that, Home Economics or History as a GCSE option
    Can’t believe anyone wouldn’t choose History out of those options. 
    Can't believe anybody WOULD choose History out of those options. 
  • se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:

Agreed.

Would have to be Home Economics.
  • bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:

Agreed.

I don’t even know what “Home Economics” is - a subject that teaches you how to save up a deposit for a house? 

History was brilliant. Unrelated, my teacher was fit but I’m sure that had nothing to do with my 14 year old selfs enthusiasm for the subject, if only she had also taught woodwork. 
  • se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:

Agreed.

I don’t even know what “Home Economics” is - a subject that teaches you how to save up a deposit for a house? 

History was brilliant. Unrelated, my teacher was fit but I’m sure that had nothing to do with my 14 year old selfs enthusiasm for the subject, if only she had also taught woodwork. 
    I was being facetious!! I loved history also and in a way wished I had studied it further at A level and degree. 
  • I did it at A level. Enjoyed it. Wasn't very good at it. Dobash and Dobash were my faves. Can't even remember what their theory was but liked their names. 
    Found a boyfriend and the best set of friends in that class at college though who I'm still friends with to this day. 
  • I did it at A level. Enjoyed it. Wasn't very good at it. Dobash and Dobash were my faves. Can't even remember what their theory was but liked their names. 
    Found a boyfriend and the best set of friends in that class at college though who I'm still friends with to this day. 
    Haralambos? 
  • Dobash, Haralambos........you lot are making it up now
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    seth plum said:
    Around wartime there was a scheme know as 'Mass Observation' I believe.
    David Kynaston's sociological history of Britain from 1945 to 1962, the "Tales of New Jerusalem" trilogy uses MO records.  Very readable, absolutely brilliant.
  • se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Was it the same error that lead to your carpentry O level?
    On my CV it says I have 11 A-C GCSEs, but I actually took 12. I got an F in woodwork (“Resistant Materials”) which is my secret shame. 
    Ironic that you failed the only subject that was any actual use. :D

:D 
    Tells you all you need to know about me! 
  • edited January 2021
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    On my CV it says I have 11 A-C GCSEs, but I actually took 12. I got an F in woodwork (“Resistant Materials”) which is my secret shame. 

I've always regretted not learning a "trade".  I could have drunk just as much if I'd been an apprentice carpenter.
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:

I've always regretted not learning a "trade".  I could have drunk just as much if I'd been an apprentice carpenter.
    Same here.
  • edited January 2021
    bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:

Agreed.

Not at my school. If you took Home Economics you had a 1 in 2 chance of getting the scary Northern Irish woman who was old enough to have taught my Mum as your teacher. The year we had double Home Ec for the first two lessons of the week there was an epidemic of bunking off as people would prefer to skip her lessons entirely rather than showing up late, especially if they'd forgotten their ingredients for cookery.
  • edited January 2021
    I know nothing about Sociology but once had a girlfriend who did.

Thought I’d let you know, just in case it helps?

By the way it’s 4-17am and I can’t sleep.
  • You can’t beat an ‘ology, as Del Boy would say.