Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnnie Robinson

Absolutely loved him as a player, always gave it the big in, at the left back behind him for not doing his job behind him.

Going to be on Valley Pass on Saturday, happy days, should be worth a walk down memory lane.

Comments

• That'll make the missus happy - one of her favourite players of all time.  :)  
  • One of our best, had the ability and the attitude - Marcus Maddison could take a leaf out of his book.
  • Just hope he don’t run out of the gates if we get a sackful of goals!
  • An absolute Charlton legend. Maximised his talent to the full, appreciated the fans and never gave less than 100%.

I believe he tore up his contract at Cardiff rather than carry on taking the money when not fully fit and promptly retired.

Very refreshing. Think he also made a point of apologising to the Cardiff fans. 
  • An absolute Charlton legend. Maximised his talent to the full, appreciated the fans and never gave less than 100%.

I believe he tore up his contract at Cardiff rather than carry on taking the money when not fully fit and promptly retired.

Very refreshing. Think he also made a point of apologising to the Cardiff fans. 
    I thought he left to come back nearer home with Gillingham?

• One hell of a line up! Addicks legend John Robinson joins the Valley Pass Live team as guest pundit for Saturday's game against @Pompey
    ! Get your streaming pass now: https://cafc.co.uk/news/view/60116f4408a51/get-your-live-streaming-video-pass-for-charlton-v-portsmouth… #cafc

• Im ashamed to say that I thought he was just a cheap replacement bought to keep us quiet when they sold Robert Lee.
  • One of my favourite Charlton players of all time.  He made such a difference to our team.

When he got hold of the ball and ran at the opposition it had us on our feet in SE7.....and surprisingly often, it ended up in the opposition's net as a result.

Those were the days!
  • Sponsored links:

• He will be pleased with the amount of Welsh in our squad. Look forward to his comments. 
    Cracking player
  • edited January 2021
    Although, wasn't it true he was born in Zimbabwe and was entitled to play for any home country and chose Wales due to that rather than a family link?
  • Although, wasn't it true he was born in Zimbabwe and was entitled to play for any home country and chose Wales due to that rather than a family link?
    Yeh he was. I think his dad was Scottish as well lol
  • Loving those highlights thanks for posting Ross1.
  • Absolutely loved him as a player, always gave it the big in, at the left back behind him for not doing his job behind him.

Going to be on Valley Pass on Saturday, happy days, should be worth a walk down memory lane.
    Definitely looking forward to this 
  • Is it 2:15pm the build up to the match starts on Valley pass on Saturday?
  • From memory Robinson was pretty average until 1995 when Les Reed arrived
  • "How many goals can one team score? 
    How many goals can they score?
    The answer my friend is Robbo on the wing, 
    The answer is Robbo on the wing" 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t wait. My favourite player to wear our shirt. 
  • edited January 2021
    Oh Johnnie Johnnie .....

Absolute 100% 24 carat Charlton legend and up there with my favourites during a lifetime of supporting our wonderful club.
  • DOUCHER said:
    robinson and newton either side with keith jones and kinsella in the middle - they had ability but the work rate and team ethic made them a proper unit and then curbs added youds and mills and we were inpenetrable - that was the golden era with bits of magic dropped in from mortimer and mendonca and sasa illic came in from nowhere and couldn't be beaten - rufus shouldn't go without a mention either - my favourite team i'd say although the claus and parker team was obviously a step up but those years from 92 - 98 will take some beating. The 2019 and 2012 teams being the other notable sides since the the hales / flanagan era, which is where my first hand knowlege ends     

Probably mentioned elsewhere but brilliant story from Curbs last night about Keith Jones. In one match he marked Paul Gascoigne out of the game, and when Gascoigne went across to the touchline to change his boots, Keith went across and stood next to him!

Yes that 90s team was special.
  • A real 100%er. Never gave up. Pleased he got the chance to player in the Premier League with us. The group of players that Curbs put together in the play off season we’re phenomenal - a proper team and the work ethic was underlined by Robinson. A Charlton legend indeed....and only £75k - absolute bargain.
  • bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    robinson and newton either side with keith jones and kinsella in the middle - they had ability but the work rate and team ethic made them a proper unit and then curbs added youds and mills and we were inpenetrable - that was the golden era with bits of magic dropped in from mortimer and mendonca and sasa illic came in from nowhere and couldn't be beaten - rufus shouldn't go without a mention either - my favourite team i'd say although the claus and parker team was obviously a step up but those years from 92 - 98 will take some beating. The 2019 and 2012 teams being the other notable sides since the the hales / flanagan era, which is where my first hand knowlege ends     

Probably mentioned elsewhere but brilliant story from Curbs last night about Keith Jones. In one match he marked Paul Gascoigne out of the game, and when Gascoigne went across to the touchline to change his boots, Keith went across and stood next to him!

Yes that 90s team was special.
    i remember that - think he did the same man marking job against merson when playing for middlesborough and merson had a tantrum coz he kept snuffing him out
  • edited January 2021
    First saw him in the customary pre season friendly at Welling and he was very chatty that day during the game not only with his team mates but the fans along the front of the stand opposite the dugouts. Didn’t overly impress but turned out to be a very good player for us who gave his all for the badge.
  • edited January 2021
    the balmer / webster team which i think had bowyer. minto and leaburn was decent as well but didn't quite reach the heights - i suppose thye lawrence built team should also get a mention - funny how with all those promotion teams you can pretty much name the 11 - johns reid pender thompson humphrey lee curbs shipley stewart flanagan pearson 
  • maybe i missed out aizlewood