Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Robinson

Comments

• Options
    Remember a few games where things weren't going to.plan and Curbs would get Robbo and Newton to switch flanks and we were like a different side.
    Worked wonders. It really used to bamboozle the oppos full backs.
  • Options
    I was working away in the Midlands on 7 March 2000 so went to evening demolition of Walsall 4-2 when he tore their right back a new one, (Hunt 2, Kinsella 2). A club record 12th successive win and record 6th Away.
  • Options
    I'll  never forget the goal he scored up at Huddersfield years ago around Christmas, absolute cracker. 
    Yeah, cracking shot. I remember that game, won 2-1 ..... wasn't that the win that sparked our '12 wins-on-the-spin' record run?

• Options
    Dagnabbit, I said I wasn’t going to buy another stream until we’d won 3 on the spin. 

Stay strong, he’ll be back, he’ll be back....
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I'll  never forget the goal he scored up at Huddersfield years ago around Christmas, absolute cracker. 
    Yeah, cracking shot. I remember that game, won 2-1 ..... wasn't that the win that sparked our '12 wins-on-the-spin' record run?

Not sure mate, just remember it was fookin freezing. 
  • Options
    Yes, the old days when you had a team rather than a massive squad
    Bolder
    Pitcher
    Minto
    Webster
    Gatting/Balmer
    Pardew
    Bumstead
    Lee/Robinson
    Walsh
    Leaburn
    Nelson 
    Sub
    Grant

• Options
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see him somehow get a yellow card for moaning at the ref. 
  • Options
    Definitely in my top 10 Charlton players. 

Didn’t he once give some Brighton fans a lift back home after an evening game at the Valley after their car broke down ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From memory Robinson was pretty average until 1995 when Les Reed arrived
    He definitely started slowly but that may well have been because he arrived for £75k as a replacement for Rob Lee with the rest of the fee getting us home. At that stage he was a substantial downgrade but over the years he certainly closed the game between the two of them.
  • Options
    Epitomised what we were about back then. Will always be a Charlton favourite for me. Great memories of that time. Looking forward to seeing Johnny and Curbs together again. Will be entertaining
  • Options
    an absolute legend and without a doubt one of my favourite players ever. no on has ever celebrated scoring like he did either before or since
  • Options
    Reading this is why we shouldn't really dismiss players after 10 games in the shirt. 
  • Options
    I recall when we lost Lee and Robinson was picked up for £75k from Brighton (I think I recall). I think expectations were low and it took a while for him to get really noticed. That might have been partly to do with how good a player Lee was which he showed with his achievements after he left us.

If somebody had come to me and said Robinson would be end up being a bigger Charlton legend than Lee I would have laughed at them. But as has been said, he maxed out his attributes and was an intrinsic part of our rise and definitely achieved that honour. 

Some wide players glide past players but he got past them because he wanted it more. It was great watching him play and it will be fantastic seeing him on Saturday and I only wish the Valley Pass show could be extended. 

Robinson 332 appearances and 35 goals 
    Lee 298 appearances and 59 goals 

I'm not sure who is the bigger legend,  definitely close but to me I'd have it as Robert Lee due to him being the better player and in tougher circumstances as we were tinpot and groundsharing at the time and it was all more romantic when I was a teenager and he was part of the miraculous bunch who brought top flight footy to Charlton after 29 seasons in the wilderness
  • Options
    I recall when we lost Lee and Robinson was picked up for £75k from Brighton (I think I recall). I think expectations were low and it took a while for him to get really noticed. That might have been partly to do with how good a player Lee was which he showed with his achievements after he left us.

If somebody had come to me and said Robinson would be end up being a bigger Charlton legend than Lee I would have laughed at them. But as has been said, he maxed out his attributes and was an intrinsic part of our rise and definitely achieved that honour. 

Some wide players glide past players but he got past them because he wanted it more. It was great watching him play and it will be fantastic seeing him on Saturday and I only wish the Valley Pass show could be extended. 

Robinson 332 appearances and 35 goals 
    Lee 298 appearances and 59 goals 

I'm not sure who is the bigger legend,  definitely close but to me I'd have it as Robert Lee due to him being the better player and in tougher circumstances as we were tinpot and groundsharing at the time and it was all more romantic when I was a teenager and he was part of the miraculous bunch who brought top flight footy to Charlton after 29 seasons in the wilderness
    And only one of them was a turnstile operator  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Certainly think the banter will be flowing on Saturday between Robbo, curbs and Scott Minto.
    Would be nice to get Carl Leaburn on Valley Pass whilst in lockdown. Curbs, Carl, Robbie, Brownie, Minto can you imagine.
    Fans like me  would go into meltdown.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

we played huddersfield away mid week in 1997 i think it was and had a colleague from huddersfield down that week - we were playing so well i bet him a tenner we would win by 3 goals - we won 3-0 and he faxed me the money - typical tight northerner 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    First saw him in the customary pre season friendly at Welling and he was very chatty that day during the game not only with his team mates but the fans along the front of the stand opposite the dugouts. Didn’t overly impress but turned out to be a very good player for us who gave his all for the badge.
    He came in to replace me so he had big boots to fill.

He was a really great player for us, and for what we paid was one of the all time bargains, something like £75k from memory. After he settled he rarely had a bad game.
  • Options
    An absolute Charlton legend. Maximised his talent to the full, appreciated the fans and never gave less than 100%.

I believe he tore up his contract at Cardiff rather than carry on taking the money when not fully fit and promptly retired.

Very refreshing. Think he also made a point of apologising to the Cardiff fans. 
    Legend can be overused ... not in this case, will always be one of our greatest ... loved watching him play, ultimate passion 
  • Options
    Certainly think the banter will be flowing on Saturday between Robbo, curbs and Scott Minto.
    Would be nice to get Carl Leaburn on Valley Pass whilst in lockdown. Curbs, Carl, Robbie, Brownie, Minto can you imagine.
    Carlo was the pundit a couple of weeks ago when Minto and Curbs were self isolating
  • Options
    Carlo was the pundit a couple of weeks ago when Minto and Curbs were self isolating
    Ah missed that. What game was that?
  • Options

We have a couple of signed John Robinson pictures available , £10 plus £2 postage ,12x8in.
  • Options
    Add me to the list of those having Robinson in their all time Charlton team. Absolutely loved him as a player. Tenacious and willing to run through walls whilst wearing the shirt. You can’t ask for more than that.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    First saw him in the customary pre season friendly at Welling and he was very chatty that day during the game not only with his team mates but the fans along the front of the stand opposite the dugouts. Didn’t overly impress but turned out to be a very good player for us who gave his all for the badge.
    Robinson made his debut at home (Upton Park) vs Millwall in October 1992 - we lost 2-0 naturally and he signed the week before that game.

As others have said Robbo didn’t do much - he actually lost his place to Mark Robson - until Les Reed arrived and he was fantastic in 95/96 on the left.

• Options

We have a couple of signed John Robinson pictures available , £10 plus £2 postage ,12x8in.
    Nick - I've sent you a pm.