Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Last time I had a cholesterol check my GP was very happy with my score of 3.6. I haven’t eaten ‘food with a face’ for twenty four years.

For the record my choice not to consume animal products was not because it was ‘trendy’ or a fad, it was because I could no longer consume the body parts or secretions of animals with a clear conscience. I’m happy to eat a balanced diet of vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes, grains and the occasional bit of faux meat and am perfectly healthy with it.
    I used to have a cholesterol reading of 6.2 - not coincidentally due to having a shit diet, with loads of saturated fats and fuck all exercise once I stopped playing football. Oddly enough, it came down once I started eating more vegetables and lily fish, less red meat and fried foods and did some exercise...

We're in the territory of 'anecdotal evidence' again here... 
  • Last time I had a cholesterol check my GP was very happy with my score of 3.6. I haven’t eaten ‘food with a face’ for twenty four years.

For the record my choice not to consume animal products was not because it was ‘trendy’ or a fad, it was because I could no longer consume the body parts or secretions of animals with a clear conscience. I’m happy to eat a balanced diet of vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes, grains and the occasional bit of faux meat and am perfectly healthy with it.
    I used to have a cholesterol reading of 6.2 - not coincidentally due to having a shit diet, with loads of saturated fats and fuck all exercise once I stopped playing football. Oddly enough, it came down once I started eating more vegetables and lily fish, less red meat and fried foods and did some exercise...

Well, I’ve given an anecdote about my personal evidence so I guess we are Leroy.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I've never found an alternative to milk that works well in tea or coffee or porridge - they're all varying degrees of vile. I just don't think they 'work' when heated up.

On cereal I like unsweetened almond milk - it's nicer than cow's milk. 
    I must have spent about £100 the last two months on every type of milk replacement you can get, just doesn’t work in tea, sadly.
    TBH I think it's like giving up sugar in tea/coffee. Once you get used to it and then have sugar by mistake it tastes awful. I use unsweetened almond milk in tea. Someone put semi skimmed 'normal' milk in by mistake and it tasted really odd.
  • Last time I had a cholesterol check my GP was very happy with my score of 3.6. I haven’t eaten ‘food with a face’ for twenty four years.

Well, I’ve given an anecdote about my personal evidence so I guess we are Leroy.
    Remember what the plural of anecdote is not chaps... :-) 
  • So this week I found almond milk was acceptable with my porridge, not quite as nice as with cows milk but I could certainly live with it.

Adding it to coffee was without doubt one of the lost disgusting things I’ve ever tasted. 

Oat milk next week 
  • So this week I found almond milk was acceptable with my porridge, not quite as nice as with cows milk but I could certainly live with it.

Adding it to coffee was without doubt one of the lost disgusting things I’ve ever tasted. 

Oat milk next week 

I used to put unsweetened almond milk in coffee but because of the heat of the water found it split. Apparently it’s better if you warm the milk first but that’s too much faff. Now I just drink my coffee black.
  • Do vegans watch nature documentaries? Or youtube footage of events that happen in nature?
  • SamB09 said:
    Do vegans watch nature documentaries? Or youtube footage of events that happen in nature?

All the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• I want to be a vegan with commitment but don't really think I have what it takes.

What's the best source of protein? In general and for vegans 
  • edited January 2021
    Dave2l said:
    I want to be a vegan with commitment but don't really think I have what it takes.

What's the best source of protein? In general and for vegans 

@Dave2l here’s a rough guide for starters.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/best-sources-protein-vegans
  • Cheers 🙂👍
  • edited January 2021
    https://youtu.be/imgLK6CI8eI @Dave2l I highly recommend the Avantgardevegan YouTube channel for ideas. There are so many others as well so if you want to know more let me know.
  • 73 Cows is an interesting film. It tells the story of ex beef farmer, Jay Wilde and his wife Katja, who turned their backs on the cattle industry and re-invented themselves as organic vegan farmers.

https://lockwoodfilm.com/73-cows

https://www.animalaid.org.uk/former-dairy-farmers-with-change-of-heart-bringing-oat-drink-to-midlands/

Really is a good film. The interview that Joey Carbstrong did with Jay on his YouTube channel is also worth a watch.
  • SamB09 said:
    Do vegans watch nature documentaries? Or youtube footage of events that happen in nature?
    As a card carrying omnivore, may I be the first to congratulate you on posting the most irrelevant, stupidest reply on this thread. And - considering the utter dreck that a few people early in came out with, that is high praise indeed. 

I think I know where SamBO9 was going with that question. Just waiting for his/her response to confirm.
  • Me too. And it's as utterly dense as the imbecile earlier in the thread who said they tried to make their cat a vegetarian.... 

Oat milk next week 
    I think it’s alright mate.  My missus got me into it.  I have no issue with it in coffee or on cereal 
  • SamB09 said:
    As a card carrying omnivore, may I be the first to congratulate you on posting the most irrelevant, stupidest reply on this thread. And - considering the utter dreck that a few people early in came out with, that is high praise indeed. 
    It was a simple question, no need to get triggered.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    SamB09 said:
    SamB09 said:
    It was a simple question, no need to get triggered.
    I think the word you're looking for is 'stupid'

Congrats, though, on falling straight back on to the 'snowflake' school of responses. Especially since - as I said - I'm not a vegan, or even a vegetarian. 
  • I found oatley to be ok for a latte although didn’t stick with it as I only have one a week or so and drink most of my coffee black. 
  • edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byTxzzztRBU&t=355s

This Ted talk has definitely made me think a bit more positively about veganism, especially the following points

1) An animals life is taken  away so you can have a meal that lasts 10-20 minutes and you don't really think about it much after so was it really worth it - very thought provoking 

2) Animals often eat other animals alive which must cause awful suffering  - But the predator literally knows no other way of survival and thats the difference with humans, again it is thought provoking

Having thought some more i'm starting to think that low quality meat products are very wasteful. For example, sausage rolls, processed ham, cocktail sausages, chicken nuggets ect ect. An animal died for that crap stuff, it does feel wrong.

• 73 Cows is an interesting film. It tells the story of ex beef farmer, Jay Wilde and his wife Katja, who turned their backs on the cattle industry and re-invented themselves as organic vegan farmers.

https://lockwoodfilm.com/73-cows

https://www.animalaid.org.uk/former-dairy-farmers-with-change-of-heart-bringing-oat-drink-to-midlands/

Really is a good film. The interview that Joey Carbstrong did with Jay on his YouTube channel is also worth a watch.
    I found it quite mooving.
  • https://youtu.be/xcUNse0nhZ0 Vegan men: fragile, weak and feminised.
  • cabbles said:
    So this week I found almond milk was acceptable with my porridge, not quite as nice as with cows milk but I could certainly live with it.

Oat milk next week 
    I think it’s alright mate.  My missus got me into it.  I have no issue with it in coffee or on cereal 
    Worth trying Mylk, it’s a blend of a number of plant based mills abs I find it virtually indistinguishable from cows milk. Our Sainsbury’s (Greenwich peninsula) stopped stocking it for a while but is now stocking it again. 

Like most plant based mills you have to wait for your tea to cool a bit before adding as it separates if chucked into water at 100 degrees but is fine at slightly lower.

personally use it on cereal and for hot chocolate.