Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Uxbridge

MCSMCS
edited March 2009 in Match Day Travel
Yo dudes,

There is a job opportunity perhaps for me, but its in Uxbridge!! Anyone who knows me knows that i am an absolute train/tube-o-phobe!! Does anyone here go anywhere near Uxbridge on a Daily basis from the South east??

Comments

• That's a long trip for Belverdeeeeeeeeeeeeere

On the tube but right at the end of the Metropolitian line.

It is near the M25 but right around the other side of London.
  • It's Middlesex really mate - not sure it's the easiest journey for you.

That being said - a job's a job!
  • completely over the opposite side of London. train and tubes 1 hour 40 minutes, to get in for 9am you'd have to be on a train at 7.10
  • rotten journey, hour and a half in the car if traffic ok.
  • I would be looking to go by choo choo or toob, car is out the question i would say! 9 to 5.30 are the hours!! Not even got an interview yet, but the money is good as i signed on today (must of been the worst thing i have had to do, how degrading they make you feel, and you get bloody sod all!!) and as wss said job certainly is a job!

Hopefully they wont see me doing 2 hours traveling a day as a problem, cos i am perfect for the job!

Just need some luck now!!
  • Good luck mate.
  • Good Luck Oli.
  • Thanks peeps, if i get an interview i will nail it no worries i know i will!!

Trouble is i aint a confident type of dude!! ;-)
  • Easier to drive around the M25...

Other than that it's the Met Line all the way to Uxbridge (last stop I think) and that is likely to be a thre hour plus round trip on trains/tubes.

Good luck with the interview.
  • Jubaliee line to baker street, metropolitan all the way to uxbridge... EASY. or get off at green park and get piccardilly line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck mate-

Long old journey but as you say, a job is a job and whilst you have it you can go for others.....
  • Good luck Oli as stanmore says a jobs a job when you need m8
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Easier to drive around the M25...

Other than that it's the Met Line all the way to Uxbridge (last stop I think) and that is likely to be a thre hour plus round trip on trains/tubes.

Good luck with the interview.

Not sure about that!!! When I lived in Barnehurst my daughter was born at the Hillingdon Hospital (Uxbridge) special care baby unit as it was the only place in the South East of England that could take her out of 12 hospitals (as far south as Brighton). Did trips thru Central London and M25 by car for about 10 weeks. Both nasty.

Also worked in Staines (not far from Uxbridge) and travelled from Bexleyheath using M25. Can be ok but to be at work at 9 you would need to leave around 6.15 am to guarantee being on time. But most of the time would be in around 7.30. Problem is you will be joining the busy A3/M4 areas at the peak times.

Would have thought public transport better option.

Best wishes with the job.
  • Good luck mate - It's a long old trip, but a job is a job.
  • Jnctns 11 to 13 on the M25 jammed every morning at peak time regardless of however many extra lanes they construct: motor has to be in good nick to cope with all the stop/start queuing in the morning rush hour. Agree with Imiss that public transport would be favourite unless you leave extremely early. Very best of luck for the interview.
  • This used to be my kinda trip to home games !!!

I used to do park the car at Hillingdon take Met line to Finchley Rd then Jubliee Line to North Greenwich and then Bus it to the Valley. and yes it was a fair old trek especially if we'd lost !!! Tough slog on the M25 too....

Good luck
  • I did the trip from Sidcup to Uxbridge for 3 & 1/2 years for work.

Driving is 1hr45 - 2hr and the train/tube is about the same. The up-side of the train/tube, is that you can sleep from Finchley Road all the way out to Uxbridge. The tube drops you right in the centre of town.

It depends how you look at the job - is it a long term thing or is it just for the cash (I know you've got the little'un to look after now...) There's also the old thing about it being easier to get a job when you're already in one, so it may be worth going for it & then looking for something closer to home after a few months.
  • Swallow it mate, jobs a job and signing on is not you

I would drive but train & toob is less arse ache I'd imagine especially from where you are. This recession bollocks is ridiculous. Whoever voted labour back in hang your sorry heads in shame.
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I did the trip from Sidcup to Uxbridge for 3 & 1/2 years for work.

Christ, it really is longer than i thought !
  • Its a very long way mate........

used to have a mate up there.......
  • Sponsored links:

• As others have said, it really is a bop. I reckon it'll take you two hours - maybe a bit more/less depending on what time you get up. I live in Croydon and used to work in Southall. If I got up at 6:15 I could drive through Streatham, Clapham, Battersea, Chelsea and out the other side at Hammersmith and get to work by 7:45 in the morning (unless there was an accident on the poxy elevated section of the M4 - which there was, regular as clockwork once a week). When I got the train I used to have to go to Victoria, tube it to Paddington then train out to Southall and walk - never less than two hours door to door. The M25 was the worst of all - I got on at junction 8 and off at junction 15 - sometimes it took 50 minutes to do that, others it took three hours.

My advice is to take the job and get the train. Take the job because the job market is so shit now that you should grab any opportunity you can (particularly in print, which is suffering worse than anything other than the building trades at the moment), and take the train because driving round the M25 will do your shwede in big-time.

If you do decide to interview for the job, give it the biggun about travel not bothering you - I went for a superb job at EMC (data storage wallahs) a couple of years back and got to the last interview stage (after four of the feckers!) only to be turned down because the other candidate lived ten minutes down the road from EMC HQ just off the M4 and they were concerned about me leaving in short order because I'd get pissed off at the length of time I would be travelling. This is especially true if you've got HR-type people interviewing you instead of just your direct management and/or technical colleagues - they luuuurve ticking boxes and making decisions by totting up scores!

Good luck - being out of work sucks, hope you decide to go for it (and get it!)
  • Cheers for the advice chaps. Lets just hope i can even get an interview at this stage!!
  • belvedere to uxbridge an hour and 40 minutes.bit of a hellish journey but it's a job so good luck mate,hope it goes well for you.

Journey Planner Link
  • This seems do-able, a few changes where missed connections could stuff you though.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk

Journey Summary
    Departing: Thursday 19 March 2009 at: 07:20
    To: Uxbridge
    Restrictions:
    Time Details Information
    07:23

07:40 Charlton Rail Station
    Take the Southeastern towards Charing Cross

Zone(s): 3, 2, 1 Average journey time: 17 mins
    Zone(s): 3, 2, 1

Charlton Rail Station

07:46

08:06 London Bridge Underground Station
    Take the Jubilee Line towards Stanmore
    or Jubilee Line towards Willesden Green
    or Jubilee Line towards Wembley Park

Zone(s): 1, 2 Average journey time: 20 mins
    Zone(s): 1, 2
    London Bridge Underground Station

08:08

Finchley Road Underground Station
    Take the Metropolitan Line towards Uxbridge

Zone(s): 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Average journey time: 35 mins
    Zone(s): 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    Finchley Road Underground Station

08:43 Uxbridge Underground Station Uxbridge Underground Station
  • Trainspotters r us
  • Although they're not fun, you do get used to commutes like this. I had to work in Ashford (Surrey), Hampshire, Leicester and Nottingham last year, there and back on the same day and having to be on site by 8:30am!

I recommend you take the train and have a kip on the way home, and remember you've got a beautiful daughter to look forward to when you get home!
  • i did the picadilly line journey a while back from Holborn visitin Rank Xerox - 29 bloody stops.

Metropolitan line coming back was a lot quicker about 45 minutes.
  • edited March 2009
    The good thing is mate that when you set off on the main part (met line)from the centre of London you're going AWAY from the commuters so at least you'll have a seat, a bit of space etc. (And on the way back too). Done it a few times when I've had work out there. And as FOD says, you can have a kip on the train.

Hope you get the interview!
  • Been in the Pub all afternoon, just got back and i get a call that they want me to do a phone interview this evening at 6.15pm!! I am officially the first to be interviewed in any way, so i have to impress!! I have a bit of inside info as mate of mine who was my Printer engineer knows them!!

Wish me luck everyone!!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Been in the Pub all afternoon, just got back and i get a call that they want me to do a phone interview this evening at 6.15pm!! I am officially the first to be interviewed in any way, so i have to impress!! I have a bit of inside info as mate of mine who was my Printer engineer knows them!!

Wish me luck everyone!!

Good luck mate!