Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

For those of you that didn't like Ryanair and their add-ons....

edited March 2009 in Not Sports Related
The head of Irish budget airline Ryanair Tuesday defended his plan to charge passengers to use on-board toilets, saying it would lead to "less passenger inconvenience" during flights.

Ryanair Chief Executive Michael O'Leary revealed last month the carrier was looking at the possibility of installing toilet doors in its planes which would only open with the insertion of a one pound coin (1.10 euros, 1.40 dollars).

"In our discussions with (aircraft maker) Boeing they haven't yet been able to manufacture a toilet door that will take coins in it," he told a news conference in Madrid Tuesday.

"But I think it's a logical development, if you use the toilet for example in train stations in England you pay to use the toilets. I don't see any reason why people on board an aircraft wouldn't pay to use the toilet."

He said the on-board charge would mean more passengers would use the toilets at airports, and would lead to "less passenger inconvenience on board the aircraft."

"We will charge for every possible thing we can think to charge for, but it will always be the passengers' choice whether they pay it or don't pay it," he said.

O'Leary said the company is now running an online competition to see what else the carrier can charge for on board.

"The suggestion I like best so far is a passenger in Sweden who has suggested that we should produce rolls of toilet paper with my picture on it."

Comments

• I despise Ryanair with a passion that will always lead me to save an extra couple of quid and fly with a decent airline. I flew with them once and utterly hated it. Never again.
  • im sure if enough people just pissed up the toilet door saying they didnt have change for the toilet they would soon be stopping the charge!
  • I don't know what peoples problem is with them myself and it's just become popular to knock them IMO. What level of service do you expect for less than the price of a meal out fer gawds sake??? In flight massages and complimentary eye masks for your 90 minute flight to a stag do in Hamburg?

I've flown with them on more than a few occassions and generally the flight has been as on time as any other airline, they got me where I wanted to go (roughly!), I could chose to have a cuppa and a tube of Pringles if I wanted and we haven't crashed in a screaming ball of flame. That's pretty much all I want my airline to do when it's a flight of a couple of hours or less.

Couldn't care less if he charges for the toilet personally as try to avoid the whole in flight lavvy experience if I can but if I was desperate I'm sure I'd consider the money well spent.

Try seeing how far £20 gets you on a train...
  • when people stop paying for a beer on their flight they will lose more money than they can make charging a quid for a piss the robbing bstds
  • edited March 2009
    Ah but is all this Ryan Air bull, eco sustainable, does the chairmans bullshit emit Co2? Do their suits have an emission charge on greenhouse bullshit that emits from their pieholes?

Alternatively piss all over the aisle!
    More proof that the world is going mad and the eco nazi's are winning.
    People should simply vote with their wallets/purses and go elsewhere. Ryan air are shit! (biodegradable)
  • [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]I don't know what peoples problem is with them myself and it's just become popular to knock them IMO. What level of service do you expect for less than the price of a meal out fer gawds sake??? In flight massages and complimentary eye masks for your 90 minute flight to a stag do in Hamburg?

I've flown with them on more than a few occassions and generally the flight has been as on time as any other airline, they got me where I wanted to go (roughly!), I could chose to have a cuppa and a tube of Pringlesif I wantedand we haven't crashed in a screaming ball of flame. That's pretty much all I want my airline to do when it's a flight of a couple of hours or less.

Couldn't care less if he charges for the toilet personally as try to avoid the whole in flight lavvy experience if I can but if I was desperate I'm sure I'd consider the money well spent.

It's not the level of service (or lack of it) or even the feeling you're flying in a plastic plane that grate's me. It's the whole booking susytem where they tell you a flight is £20 and it ends up being £120. Just tell us what it costs FFS! If it's good value you won't get up people's noses so much!

Some say they're easyjets rivals but i reckon Easyjet love then becasue they make Easyjet seem like BA Business class!

I've had no choice but to use them for work on more than one occasion but would seriously consider not going somewhere on holiday if they were the only option, on principle.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]when people stop paying for a beer on their flight they will lose more money than they can make charging a quid for a piss the robbing bstds

Bang on.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]"But I think it's a logical development, if you use the toilet for example in train stations in England you pay to use the toilets. I don't see any reason why people on board an aircraft wouldn't pay to use the toilet."

Might pay to use the toilet in a station but when was the last time anyone paid to use the toilet actually on a train? Good to see he knows the travel industry so well...
  • I have to say I am in favor of unbundled services - you only pay for what you use. British Airways will charge you for the toilet in their price even if you don't use it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hate Ryan Air, but they know what they are doing, the most profitable airline in europe. If you don't agree with their pricing policy then don't use them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I hate Ryan Air, but they know what they are doing, the most profitable airline in europe. If you don't agree with their pricing policy then don't use them.

They made a loss n the last quarter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7864352.stm

Personally I hate Chav Air - but you have to admire O'Leary's ability to get Ryan Air mentioned in the media.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]. If you don't agree with their pricing policy then don't use them.

simple really eh
  • You get what you pay for IMO, nobody forces you to fly with them, I expect no frills from them or Easyjet, you pyas your money, you takes your choice.
  • I just think you should start with the maximum price, and can then deduct bits and pieces.
    IE This will cost you £120, but you can deduct £5 if you tick online checkin, £7.50 for no hold luggage etc etc.
    No problem with them charging for food and drink, its the not knowing how much cost of the flight is going to be thats a pain.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]. If you don't agree with their pricing policy then don't use them.

simple really eh

Stick a khazi in your cab Mart... it's the way ahead
  • LOL!! Brilliant stuff from O'Leary.

Hate Ryanair with a passion and only fly with them as a last, last resort but as the posters above say; it's a free market.

If you don't like them you don't have to fly with them.

To be honest it seems to me that nowadays flying with BA, Lufthansa etc. no more expensive than the so-called budget carriers by the time you factor in all the add-ons
  • Used them a few times and never had a problem. Can't expect too much for the prices they charge (even with the add ons)

Going to Bratislava with them in June, £60 all in, can't really complain.
  • [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]I don't know what peoples problem is with them myself and it's just become popular to knock them IMO. What level of service do you expect for less than the price of a meal out fer gawds sake??? In flight massages and complimentary eye masks for your 90 minute flight to a stag do in Hamburg?

I've flown with them on more than a few occassions and generally the flight has been as on time as any other airline, they got me where I wanted to go (roughly!), I could chose to have a cuppa and a tube of Pringlesif I wantedand we haven't crashed in a screaming ball of flame. That's pretty much all I want my airline to do when it's a flight of a couple of hours or less.

Well said that man.
    Also most people who fly with Ryanair probably only have a short haul 1-2 hour flight, if you're that fussed about paying a pound, go before you get on the plane.
  • Used to use Easyjet to fly up to Glasgow, but when you take into account stansted/gatwick express or parking cost, flying BA from City isnt much more at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have had some really cheap deals from ryann and easy jet. I have visited the inlaws in Norway for as little as £40 return (with free tickets to Limerick) + I know exactly what I am going to get, but at that price I dont care.

When driving up North to an away game we usually have a no stopping policy (except when curb-it is in the car), otherwise we end up stopping everywhere. So I am sure that my bladder can take a couple of hours in the air............
  • sheepish... lol.

sorry off topic but 1905 theres a few pictures of you and your mob in the bugle i noticed the other night - did you know that? group pictures from yesteryear when you drunk up there pre match
  • Yes - they were taken when about 20 of my lot were season ticket holders. We are now down to about 5. I think there is with one of Chris showing all!
  • Once again trying to charge customers extra

Ryanair

The last bit shows just what f*ckers they are.

"According to the Money Box report, the UK Cards Association estimates for credit cards, banks charge airlines between 1.5% to 2.5% of a payment in transaction fees.
    It believes it is significantly less than £1 to process a debit card transaction.
    That means a family of four on a return journey paying on one debit card should pay about 30p, if they were just covering the airline's costs, but would be charged £40 by Ryanair."
  • will this affect the takeover......
  • edited January 2010
    The thing with Ryanair is that they operate a culture of deceit.

Just give a bottom line price end of.

They don't though because they are not as competitive as they like to pretend from my (admittedly not very extensive) experience.
  • Get one of these - gets you round there card charges so you can get the fares they actually quote. I'm going on a day trip to Dublin next month for £2!

http://www.fairfx.com/cardselection
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Get one of these - gets you round there card charges so you can get the fares they actually quote. I'm going on a day trip to Dublin next month for £2!

http://www.fairfx.com/cardselection

Got myself a visa electron card by opening up a halifax account. will get one of those cards now. still cost you 1.5% for transactions on it though.
  • I've got a Visa Electron - still good for easyJet and all the other budget airlines as far as I know. Agree that the transaction charge is a pain but better than the £10 for a return flight that Ryanair want.
  • Well they do promote a culture of, sell the flight only at ridiculouly discounted rates, then charge people for the sort of things that normal airlines have as standard included in their prices. They are allowed to do it, its just sneaky and does not exactally warm people to their company.