Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Getting the atmosphere right for next season...would you

TELTEL
edited March 2009 in General Charlton
Would you consider moving into the first two blocks in the east stand nearest the away supporters to raise the atmosphere at the ground?

Ive posed the question with the club for consideration at next weeks Fans Forum meeting and following on from a similiar topic earlier this year Id like to know if people would seriously consider it?

The south or JS stand Ive been told is out of the question, so now its up to you guys....

Tel

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited March 2009
    I think Smudge had a thread about this a while ago (i'll try and dig it out). I probably would depending on others!

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=23731
  • edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Would you consider moving into the first two blocks in the east stand nearest the away supporters to raise the atmosphere at the ground?

Ive posed the question with the club for consideration at next weeks Fans Forum meeting and following on from a similiar topic earlier this year Id like to know if people would seriously consider it?

The south or JS stand Ive been told is out of the question, so now its up to you guys....

Tel

as long as you don't make too much noise, some of us like a kip during the game !!

One point is that surely a seat in the East will be dearer than one in the North and if you make prices for the blocks nearest the JS the same as the North then you have to do the same for the whole of the East.

Would it help the atmosphere ? All you'd get is a bunch of herberts spending the game singing the 'incest' song and baiting and goading the opposition fans and that doesn't actually help the team.
  • WSSWSS
    edited March 2009
    If there was a significant cost difference between the North and East that could be a problem (as Large said).

What's the incentive?
  • Would be up for it if others are.
  • Also you would have the worst facilities in the Ground in the South Stand, a definate NO from me.
  • ST in the middle of the east are already dearer than the wings are they not?

I wouldn't move but I might allow the young uns to walk over from there seats to learn some new swear words songs
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Also you would have the worst facilities in the Ground in the South Stand, a definate NO from me.

think you misread the question
  • edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Also you would have the worst facilities in the Ground in the South Stand, a definate NO from me.

think you misread the question

think he is a JCL, who most likely doesnt' even pay for his own ST, who doesn't know the name of the Stands at the Valley. : - 0
  • All true Henry & yes i did mis-read the question.

Still a logistical nightmare for the club & the cost of stewarding would probably be more. If you think the club will agree to anything where there is an increase in cost next season you are dreaming.

Plus what about all the Flaskers who have had their seat for 30 years & do not wanna move ?
  • You obviously don't know how long the East Stand has been open either. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2009
    I understand the reasoning behind this thread but in my opinion it is flawed.

Define what the "right atmosphere" is exactly. Drunkards standing up obscuring the view of those behind them and abusing them when politely asked to sit down whilst disturbing the row they "sit" in by walking to and fro the concourses making others stand up and down like a whore's draws? Or people who sit quietly watching the match they've paid good money to come and see. Or a halfway between the two extremes whereby people are absorbed in the match but join in with the chants and songs they know.

Ultimately the atmosphere is determined by what happens on the pitch. If the players genuinely give their all then the fans will. Under Parkinson the players are giving more but it is too little too late. The fans know that so are not really responding.

Sort out what happens on the field of play and the rest of it will take care of itself in my humble opinion.
  • Not in the Fans Forum remit Len...cant do anything about the onfield stuff except whine and bitch like the rest of us.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]You obviously don't know how long the East Stand has been open either. ;-)

Who is this guy? Gills fan on a wind up if you ask me : - )
  • edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Not in the Fans Forum remit Len...cant do anything about the onfield stuff except whine and bitch like the rest of us.

True, not in the remit but rather than whine and bitch you are, as I read it, trying to create the right situation for a better atmosphere that might then transmit to the players on the pitch.

Go for it.
  • No, even after waking up, the West Stand Thermos brigade are far too sedate! I sing my heart out and would like some support, but I really don't like the goady stuff, incest songs etc.
  • My seat is on the half way line in the east stand. Love it. No way do I want to move.

The atmosphere isn't going to improve next season, I don't think our stadium is any worse for atmosphere than any other club in this division tbh, plus we are bottom and have won 2 games in 29 which doesn't help.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]All true Henry & yes i did mis-read the question.

Still a logistical nightmare for the club & the cost of stewarding would probably be more. If you think the club will agree to anything where there is an increase in cost next season you are dreaming.

Plus what about all the Flaskers who have had their seat for 30 years & do not wanna move ?

lol P I know what you mean...anyway here was your suggestion from Feb 6th thread...

I would suggest from a banter point of view this area should be in the East Stand in the Block next to the away fans.

Yes there might be an objection mate, but if we dont ask, we certainly wont get anything done ever again...lol
  • if it would help and the masses of voices are willing to move i would also if it would help create a better atmosphere
  • might be a completly daft and expensive idea, but wouldnt it be possible for something to be done to the roof of the north stand so that the noise is reflected back down and therefor amplified?
  • Think they tried that with a microphone in the past....might be wrong. The club havent got any funds for anything like that mate, thanks for the suggestion, but its all going to be down to us Im afraid
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I understand the reasoning behind this thread but in my opinion it is flawed.

Define what the "right atmosphere" is exactly. Drunkards standing up obscuring the view of those behind them and abusing them when politely asked to sit down whilst disturbing the row they "sit" in by walking to and fro the concourses making others stand up and down like a whore's draws? Or people who sit quietly watching the match they've paid good money to come and see. Or a halfway between the two extremes whereby people are absorbed in the match but join in with the chants and songs they know.

Ultimately the atmosphere is determined by what happens on the pitch. If the players genuinely give their all then the fans will. Under Parkinson the players are giving more but it is too little too late. The fans know that so are not really responding.

Sort out what happens on the field of play and the rest of it will take care of itself in my humble opinion.
    The wing blocks on the East Stand have been quite empty this season.
  • Put the flaskers in the West lower, they'll be plenty of room. *ducks down to avoid a barrage of fairy cakes*

;o)
  • Do they do prawn sandwiches in the East? I might consider moving from the lower west then.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I understand the reasoning behind this thread but in my opinion it is flawed.

Spot on Len, spot on.
  • AS a start Stop the 'Muzak' build up . Switch off the dumb pitch side announcer/ music at 2.45 and let the atmosphere build naturally.
  • BDLBDL
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]AS a start Stop the 'Muzak' build up . Switch off the dumb pitch side announcer/ music at 2.45 and let the atmosphere build naturally.

Why thank you, first time I've been called dumb - That's a new one.
  • Couldn't we just turn the Jimmy Seed stand around to face the other way?
    ;-)
  • My view which is not worth a half penny is that all that will do is dilute an already muted atmosphere.

However if we could get Carlos Santana and a bunch of nutty drummers with a full on brass section and some tasty backing singers (about 15 Sam Browns should do it) then maybe were talking.

Perhaps like the 20/20 cricket we could have special music intros for different phases of the game like goal kicks/corners or free kicks. You know the sort of stuff. Very naff.

Or maybe and I know its a maybe howabout some goals for the home team interspersed with the team kicking in that direction. It has been tried before and I can promise you it did work.

Otherwise its flask and wine gums for me.
  • Thought Id give this a bump....seeing as Ollies Trip to Borough Market got 15 more responses when it was posted at approximately the same time.....I guess everybody must be completely over it this season.
  • Atmosphere correlates to what is happening on the pitch.
    Maybe we got used to getting behind the team as we were underdogs, but got a bit complacent when we became a 'model premiership club', and were expected to win games. How many times did the likes of a Norwich or Wolves sing at us '2-0 and you still dont sing'
    Think the fact that we all thought we would be winning 75percent of home games in the championship meant we had the stuffing knocked out of us when the performances we saw on the pitch deteriorated to such a degree. The fact we have not got any songs either doesnt help. Not got any answers apart from close the upper tiers. Sod the people who have been in same seat for years, it's for the greater good of the club - dont recall any tears for me when I was kicked out of the south stand.