Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton TV - free end of season show Tues 18th May 7pm (p7)

It's been a funny old season not going to be able to go to games but I can only say the coverage we have been privileged to have on Charlton TV has been absolutely superb. There cannot be a team in the country who have been fortunate enough to have had the superb standard of coverage we have had.

Scott Minto as host has been the supreme host. What a superb professional. Sets the tone just right and makes everyone at ease. Sky are absolutely mad to have got rid of him 

Curbs has been an absolute revelation. He's always been a hero of mine for obvious reasons but I must admit I always thought him a bit dry and, dare I say, wondered whether deep down he really loved Charlton. Yet this season he has shown himself to have a wonderful dry, sense of humour and it is clear he does have great feelings for the club. 

We may argue over whether Steve Brown does talk a bit too much but he certainly knows his onions and he has turned into a really good summariser.

And not forgetting Terry and Greg, the commentators. They do a blooming good job, particularly as they are trying to commentate for both TV and radio listeners.

Huge thanks to the club for producing this coverage for us. It's been a Godsend to me (and I suspect many others) over the lockdown.

Finally, I know there are different opinions over whether this coverage should continue now fans are allowed back in but I am totally of the opinion that it should. There are many fans who through age, illness or distance from the club who cannot get to games on a regular basis. They should be allowed to continue watching this superb coverage.

Comments

• Perhaps the Trust could petition the club to keep this going. I’m sure Thomas would understand why it would be a popular decision.
  • Continuing coverage of games by Charlto tv is not just upto the club. The EFL will have  a say I would say. As they have contracts with companies.
  • I think (hope) they’ll keep the production going for overseas supporters. If it’s not available in the UK, then you’ll have to book a ticket abroad... wink wink
  • I’ve loved it and being an exiled Addick, it’s been amazing to watch the games on a weekly basis. But I would be concerned how it might affect attendances. I’d rather fans in the stadium cheering on the team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    I’ve loved it and being an exiled Addick, it’s been amazing to watch the games on a weekly basis. But I would be concerned how it might affect attendances. I’d rather fans in the stadium cheering on the team. 
    iFollow had been a thing for two or three seasons before lockdown. Yes it wasn’t technically available in the UK but everyone knew a way to get around it.

Will the coverage have an effect on in person attendance? I think it’s unlikely if 2017-2020 is anything to go by.
  • Fantastic show - and we were lucky to get Scott Minto, so professional and shows his love of the club. £10 a go between two of us in our household is a bargain. Can't wait to sit in the Covered End again though!!!!

• msomerton said:
    Continuing coverage of games by Charlto tv is not just upto the club. The EFL will have  a say I would say. As they have contracts with companies.
    I would imagine it will be down to economics. Matches will still be available to viewers abroad, as they were before Covid. The question will be whether the numbers would justify the extra production costs. Another factor is that fans can, of course, for as little as £3.99 per month purchase a good VPN which means they can watch "from Abroad". 

I assume the club might not mind this if gates are not badly affected but if they were it would be a different matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2021
    clive said:
    Perhaps the Trust could petition the club to keep this going. I’m sure Thomas would understand why it would be a popular decision.
    It's on the list of a few things we're talking with the club about.  The main hurdle is likely to be the EFL's broadcast deal which I believe prohibits streaming of Sat 3pm matches in UK & Ireland and still has at least a couple of years to run. It was changed specifically and only because of Covid.  But let's see - you would hope something could be worked out for the benefit of all parties given the sucess of streaming in general and Charlton TV in particular. 
    I cannot believe 'the trust' are backing the idea of the continuation of  the live streaming matches when fans are allowed back in stadiums, this will lead to a decline in attendances & will kill lower league & non league clubs.
    We have already have the opportunity of seeing all the goals/ highlights on Quest tv & Sky, something that was never available years ago.
    The trust should be helping the club sell season tickets to people in SE London & kent rather than worrying about people who have deserted the local area or cannot be bothered to leave their homes to support their team.

You and me have discussed this at length before, we disagree on whether coverage should continue so I'm not going to start up all the arguments again here.

I will just say this. There are 2 posters on here whose personal stories of illness that they have recently suffered, and the their bravery in trying to overcome them, have had my bottom lip trembling. Neither are going to be able to attend games in the near future. But I bet they both will want to watch games if at all possible, not least to build their spirits up in these difficult times.

And you want to stop them being able to see the games? I just don't get it.  
    How do the football authorities decide on who should be allowed to stream the match and who shouldn't?
    It's all very well with TS in charge and fans being optimistic that we may get 10,000 S/T holders this season.
    But we all know if we don't have some sort of "success" those figures are likely to dwindle because they always do.
    We don't want a situation where fans are watching at home in greater numbers than those attending.
    Personally, other than sticking to overseas I don't see how that's resolved, unless it's away games as well.
    Can you set it up for living more than 100 miles away, are elderly or disabled, that type of thing?
    I think that would be a hell of an ask.

I suppose one early option would be to charge £20 for a stream.
    If you charge less clubs will still lose revenue, due to families watching together or mates watching together.
    Even at £20 I suspect clubs will lose money and let's face it many are already teetering on the brink.

If someone can come up with a way that clubs would benefit financially rather than going bust, "I'm all ears"
  • clive said:
    Perhaps the Trust could petition the club to keep this going. I’m sure Thomas would understand why it would be a popular decision.
    It's on the list of a few things we're talking with the club about.  The main hurdle is likely to be the EFL's broadcast deal which I believe prohibits streaming of Sat 3pm matches in UK & Ireland and still has at least a couple of years to run. It was changed specifically and only because of Covid.  But let's see - you would hope something could be worked out for the benefit of all parties given the sucess of streaming in general and Charlton TV in particular. 
    I cannot believe 'the trust' are backing the idea of the continuation of  the live streaming matches when fans are allowed back in stadiums, this will lead to a decline in attendances & will kill lower league & non league clubs.
    We have already have the opportunity of seeing all the goals/ highlights on Quest tv & Sky, something that was never available years ago.
    The trust should be helping the club sell season tickets to people in SE London & kent rather than worrying about people who have deserted the local area or cannot be bothered to leave their homes to support their team.

What a bizarre take, I assume that everyone who is a member of the trust and doesn't live in the designated area should cancel their membership forthwith?

I agree that encouraging ticket sales should be a priority but to ignore the multiple issues of finance, health, geography, family and work commitments is crass.

The model that blocks geographical areas if certain ticket sales haven't been met is well worth exploring. In my opinion. 
  • It is probably a simple equation. If clubs make significantly more money when games are streamed, they will be streamed. If not, they won't be. There is a middle ground fudge though, and that is VPNs. A significant number may take this option and whilst it is illegal, I'm not sure clubs will mind if the numbers doing this don't impact too much on attendances. Many won't I suspect. After all, this was the case before Covid and a good VPN is going to get you access. 
  • clive said:

You and me have discussed this at length before, we disagree on whether coverage should continue so I'm not going to start up all the arguments again here.

I will just say this. There are 2 posters on here whose personal stories of illness that they have recently suffered, and the their bravery in trying to overcome them, have had my bottom lip trembling. Neither are going to be able to attend games in the near future. But I bet they both will want to watch games if at all possible, not least to build their spirits up in these difficult times.

A harsh interpretation but I get the point. 

I just feel the world has moved on and streaming options are now a new and different model that a wider audience now expect and demand. 

Live attendance need not change just need to tweak pricing so it’s fair to all. 

Match tickets are sadly too expensive  for many families whilst we insist on average players retiring as multi millionaires albeit this is less true in league one. 

I am sure had the ESL got off the ground it would have seen streaming options.  

It should survive in some form or at least the EFL should negotiate with stakeholders to have some sort of trial next season to assess the impacts.  

• A dangerous precedent could be set though.

Why not allow Man U vs Liverpool also to be live on streaming at 3pm on Saturday for everyone to watch for £10
    Yes and they could break away and keep the money for themselves .........
  • clive said:

I just feel the world has moved on and streaming options are now a new and different model that a wider audience now expect and demand. 

Match tickets are sadly too expensive  for many families whilst we insist on average players retiring as multi millionaires albeit this is less true in league one. 

It should survive in some form or at least the EFL should negotiate with stakeholders to have some sort of trial next season to assess the impacts.  

It's a fine balance, I have 100%, spent more on streaming than I would have on tickets for games at the Valley.

Over all I have probably spent slightly less than I would have on tickets for all games.

Watching it on TV isn't a compable product, for me certainly.  There are games I would go to even if I could stream, there are games I wouldn't do either for. 
  • edited May 2021
    I appreciate it is not as simple as this due to contractual complications, but I don't think streaming away games would impact on away support too much. How do you stop home fans using the away fans' stream?

We were a season late to the streaming party originally and I signed onto opponents' I Follow accounts before Valley Pass whilst attending our home games. At the start of this season I got e-mails telling me I had to stick to one account and wouldn't be able to use another. There may have been something about opening up away games in the future behind this.
  • clive said:

And that's the key point. And one I keep stressing. From the moment technology allowed games to be streamed, it was always going to happen. The only question was when. All Covid has done is bring forward the initiative by a few years.

Now the technology is here it's not going to go away. Anyone saying it is can only be compared to the old style printers who used to typeset newspapers and refused to accept the introduction of computers.

The only question now is how clubs can monetarise (sorry horrible word but most appropriate I can think of) streaming to give them most income.

killerandflash said:
    A dangerous precedent could be set though.

Why not allow Man U vs Liverpool also to be live on streaming at 3pm on Saturday for everyone to watch for £10
    I truly think this is a red herring. I subscribe to Sky Sports so could have watched a "free" game most weekend afternoons. But whenever Charlton were playing, I've paid £10 to watch them despite even if the game I could watch "free" was on paper much more attractive.

And let's be honest. Anyone who doesn't follow Charlton isn't really going to pay £10 to watch our matches.
  • And in the Championship, we could watch Charlton using out sky subscription without a further fee.