Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pay at Petrol Pump

It may sound strange, but I have never used the pay at the pump facility before, but used it yesterday at a Tesco filling station.

I put the card in and entered the pin and then took the card out. I carried on filling up the car and as the machine said the printer was out of paper, drove off. Today when I checked my bank account online there is a debit of £1.00 for Tesco but nothing else from them. Reading up on the internet, I think the full amount should be showing today. I am now worried that I may have driven off without paying.

Can anyone advise if I did the correct thing, or should I have entered the card details again. 

Comments

• confession time .. I once (just the once) did the right thing at a pay at the pump Tesco .. I am still waiting for the debit to come through .. every other time at any pay @ pump, it's worked fine (Morrisons, Asda, Sainsbury Tesco etc.)
  • ^^^^ fine in that my card was debited  o:)
  • edited September 2021
  • Should the card be left in the machine until the pump has finished?
  •  No, it will tell you that you can spend up to £99 then you take the card out.
  • It may sound strange, but I have never used the pay at the pump facility before, but used it yesterday at a Tesco filling station.

I put the card in and entered the pin and then took the card out. I carried on filling up the car and as the machine said the printer was out of paper, drove off. Today when I checked my bank account online there is a debit of £1.00 for Tesco but nothing else from them. Reading up on the internet, I think the full amount should be showing today. I am now worried that I may have driven off without paying.

Can anyone advise if I did the correct thing, or should I have entered the card details again. 
    It has taken a few days to go through on a few occasions when I have used it.
  • It can take up to three days to take the full amount:

Pay at Pump FAQ

What’s changing? ​

Previously, all Pay at Pump transactions were authorised by requesting a £1 transaction from your card issuer before taking payment for the value of the fuel 1 to 3 days later.

Under new rules implemented by Mastercard, Visa and American Express, we must now request authorisation from your card issuer for up to £99. Once you’ve finished filling up, the final transaction amount is sent to your card issuer, and the remainder of any unused funds up to the maximum filling amount will be released back to your available balance. We’ll only ever charge you for the value of the fuel you’ve actually purchased.​

We are currently trialling this change in selected locations. So you may find this payment change happens at one petrol station but not at another. ​If you have a problem with a payment, please contact your bank that issued the card, as this new payment rule is not under our control.

https://www.tesco.com/help/pay-at-pump/payatpump

• It may sound strange, but I have never used the pay at the pump facility before, but used it yesterday at a Tesco filling station.

Had this with then recently, the rest does appear. Wouldn't worry about it. They won't let you off!

Had this with then recently, the rest does appear. Wouldn't worry about it. They won't let you off!
    Thanks I'm more worried about them thinking that I drove off without paying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    For some reason I once did actually drive off without paying, and then two days later I suddenly realised that I hadn’t walked in the filling station and handed over the money.
    It was a local garage so I went back there and said sorry about that and paid up. They were absolutely fine about it, but said they had taken a note of my number from the cctv in case I had tried it again.
    I wonder how many times people do just drive off..

• I know someone who did work in a petrol station and they would pass the registration details to the police if anyone drove off without paying. 
  • I know someone who did work in a petrol station and they would pass the registration details to the police if anyone drove off without paying. 
    I think it's fairly amazing you're still a free woman.
  • Tesco are basically useless at taking funds in a timely fashion, so be careful. I once filled up on a Monday morning, didn't think anymore about it. Went to cash point Thursday night and saw I had enough to cover getting some cash out and paying an expected bill the next day. The next morning Tesco took the petrol money and left my account overdrawn along with the resultant bank charges.
  • No your fine, it takes £1 normally till the next day, but as others have said sometimes its a couple of days before they take the rest. 

• A car park attendant in Docklands once told me my front number plate was missing. I didn't even realise it was lose. When I parked up I realised the back plate had gone too - now that's more than a coincidence (my razor sharp brain told me). 

My company advised I got a crime number from the police pdq before the petrol bills headed my way through the post ... not to mention a knock from plod.  
    I think it's fairly amazing you're still a free woman.
    Who said she's "free"?
  • Sponsored links:

• Wife paid at the till for the wrong pump number once, it was a lesser amount and a genuine mistake. 
    2 months later in the same garage and the pump stopped after 10p of petrol. 

The rev numbers are recorded if you don’t pay or underpay, and the CCTV automatically cuts off the pump every time. 
    She paid the outstanding and carried on as normal. 
  • Stand down G'vnor.
    My ex Mrs worked in a filling station until recently, she told me that if they have drive offs it comes out of the staffs wages, the filling station has a big shop, subway etc within it. 

She says a lot of customers get fuel and then go shopping so its hard to keep track and have to ask customers did they get fuel. She had a £50 drive off and another for over £40 and then she quit. The station had cameras all over it but they still had to pay.
    My ex Mrs worked in a filling station until recently, she told me that if they have drive offs it comes out of the staffs wages, the filling station has a big shop, subway etc within it. 

She says a lot of customers get fuel and then go shopping so its hard to keep track and have to ask customers did they get fuel. She had a £50 drive off and another for over £40 and then she quit. The station had cameras all over it but they still had to pay.
    That is very unfair, I expect they have a huge turnover of staff.

That is very unfair, I expect they have a huge turnover of staff.
    Funny enough they do, every time you go in there, there is new people behind the counter, minimum wage etc, and also the boss has a camera which he watches them from home, something which i wouldnt like.

Be interested to see if that clause is in their employment contract or whether or not he's just a chancer who hasn't been challenged yet. He sounds a total arse.

Assuming they are earning roughly minimum wage surely any fines takes them below that unless he's deducting something absurd like £1 a week? I know needs must sometimes in terms of employment and a job is a job at the end of the day but he sounds a clown.

You could understand a clause to cover staff negligence, e.g if they charge someone a fiver for a fifty pound tank of fuel because there to busy using their phone etc. However charging them for other people deciding to steal sounds mad, what's he want them to do stand in front of their car so they don't  make off?

My workplace includes similar provisions if you damage uniform or equipment however I think it would only be used in exceptional circumstances, e.g complete negligence.
    I've dropped my work phone on more than one occasion and had it fixed without question. I assume unless I took a sledgehammer to my laptop they'd never use the clause.

Be interested to see if that clause is in their employment contract or whether or not he's just a chancer who hasn't been challenged yet. He sounds a total arse.

Assuming they are earning roughly minimum wage surely any fines takes them below that unless he's deducting something absurd like £1 a week? I know needs must sometimes in terms of employment and a job is a job at the end of the day but he sounds a clown.

You could understand a clause to cover staff negligence, e.g if they charge someone a fiver for a fifty pound tank of fuel because there to busy using their phone etc. However charging them for other people deciding to steal sounds mad, what's he want them to do stand in front of their car so they don't  make off?

My workplace includes similar provisions if you damage uniform or equipment however I think it would only be used in exceptional circumstances, e.g complete negligence.
    I've dropped my work phone on more than one occasion and had it fixed without question. I assume unless I took a sledgehammer to my laptop they'd never use the clause.

There would need to be an express clause in the contract of employment covering deductions of this nature - otherwise it would be considered an unlawful deduction. You are correct in that any deduction must not take them below the NMW and also any such deduction cannot be more than 10% of the gross wage.

If there was negligence on behalf of the employee or they were in collusion with the thief then subject to a full investigation disciplinary action may be taken. That should be the approach rather than deducting losses.

But yes, this guy does sound a clown (or worse).
  • edited September 2021
    Slightly off subject but when my daughter worked in a pub in liverpool when she had a stint in a bar, up there, any losses on the till, had to be covered by the staff on duty.
  • Slightly off subject but when my daughter worked in a pub in liverpool when she had a stint in a bar, up there, any losses on the till, had to be covered by the staff on duty.
    I work in a corporate environment where absolutely everything is run past HR, however I have lots of friends who work in less corporate environments and it's amazing what employers feel like they can get away with. And even more amazing is what they get away with without being challenged. 

One of our friends had a part time job as a cleaner for an office out of hours. There was an accusation some items had gone missing and she was called in by her employer, told all the office staff had accused it of being her and was sacked on the spot. The first she had heard of the accusation was when she sat down with her manager and she was dismissed in no less than ten minutes.

No investigation, no evidence, no disciplinary procedure. I told her to challenge it however she didn't feel it was worth the hassle which is how I assume a lot of employers get away with this sort of thing.

I find some of the HR hoops I have to jump through to get anything done a complete pain at times however it's stories like this which make me grateful I work in an environment where things are done properly.