Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | Saturday 2nd April 2022 - 3pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City
Saturday 2nd April 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Madley

Introduction
Three wins on the bounce... One of those away... Four clean sheets in five games... Am I dreaming?

Delight with those sort of stats show just how disappointing this season has been. What's worse is we could yet replicate last year, where we hit a similar run of form losing just one game from March until the end of the season, and so potentially put ourselves in a false sense of security going into what is an important summer. Lincoln City are the next visitors the the Valley, with games running out fast, I doubt there will be many too sad faces when the full time whistle finally blows in Suffolk at the end of the season.

The Opposition
Name: Lincoln City (18th) | Manager: Michael Appleton
Ground: Sincil Bank
Previous Meeting: Lincoln City 2-1 Charlton Athletic

Loans will always play a big part at this level of the English game.

Love them, or hate them, they're a part of the Transfer Window now. Certainly as this level in recent seasons, we've seen how a team can go from an average league position to the surprise package that term - Naturally there is risk to that, as there are no guarantees you'll be able to attract the same level of player for next term.

Lincoln City surprised everyone last season by just missing out on promotion to the Championship. With the likes of Brennan Johnson on loan from Nottingham Forest (and now a full Welsh International), it was always going to be a tough ask to replicate this term. Then there was the additional loss of Jorge Grant to Peterborough, so its no overall surprise to see Lincoln back in the bottom half of the table, almost copying Shrewsbury Town from 2017/18.

Imps fans probably felt that this was always going to be a challenging season, especially when Michael Appleton was diagnosed with a cancer that appears to be under control at present. Like ourselves; Lincoln have flirted with the mid-table positions, and with just seven games to go, find themselves in 18th with a healthy nine point gap between themselves and the bottom four, even having picked up just one point in their last three outings.

So with no Johnson, and no Grant who is the threat from the visitors this week - Anthony Scully has stepped up as top goal scorer this season with eight goals in the league, he's followed that up with a further seven assists. Whilst John Marquis (on loan from Portsmouth) has managed five goals since moving back North in January.

Charlton Team News
Okay then, I said this last week and perhaps looked a little bit of an idiot when he didnt even travel. But once against Jake Forster-Caskey came through another U23 game in midweek, no doubt increasing his chances of an appearance or two between now and the end of the season - Our win up at Doncaster pretty much guaranteed safety in League One for next term (what a time to be alive), so there is the potential for some of the squad players to be given an opportunity.

Nile John for example was dropped off from North London with huge potential, especially given his pedigree for the England Youth Groups. But like Jay Dasilva in his first spell with us, things havent quite worked out for the youngster in SE7 - On the injury front we've been told that we'll hopefully see Ryan Inniss and Chuks Aneke again this term, but with games running out, it looks increasingly as though the appearances will be at the POTY dinner.

Chris Gunter is once again available after appearing for Wales during the International Break.

MacGillivray
Clare - Lavelle - Purrington
Matthews - Dobson - Gilbey - Blackett-Taylor
Fraser
Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Famewo - Forster-Caskey - Lee - Jaiyesimi - John - Burstow

Prediction
It once again appears as though a pattern is forming amongst many in this squad - With games running out fast, its leaving many in the squad less and less opportunity to show they deserve another contract. Of course many will argue that they've wasted their chances with the overall displays this term, and we'll once again see another vain effort to remain in SE7 once again this Saturday.

Comments

• Another good preview.

Expecting our good home form to continue and win against a stubborn side. Be nice to see JFC make an appearance tomorrow. 

2-0 Washington x2.
  • Will Stroud and Kettle take turns in sending players off?
  • edited April 2022
    Washington 3 
    Stockley 2
    Fraser 1

Charlton 6 - 0

• Expecting the same starting eleven and same result as recent games. Another comfortable home win and clean sheet: 2-0 or possibly 3-0 if we score early. The march to the top half of the table continues! 
  • 2-1. Victory to us
  • Fancy this big time, until i saw the clown Kettles name....will take a win, 1-0 BUT must be a performance
    above all else.  Predict 3-0
  • Informative preview. 

I still think we are poor quality, tactically inflexible and generally spineless, despite the three most recent results.

If they score first we will implode and lose.

If we score first we might not.

Won't be staying up to find out.

• Went to Lincoln away and got fed up with their fans coming up after the game, saying we were the worst team they had seen so far this season.

Yes appreciate it was October and yes they were right but love the opportunity to say the same walking up Floyd road after the game.

So 0-1 defeat it is then.
    We were awful tho, met my son who is at uni there. The performance really spoilt a good day...
  • Sponsored links:

• It was a 2-1 defeat but memorable for how poor we were and he scoreline didn't really tell the story. Jacko has to make this sort of crap a thing of the past.
  • Lincoln are fortunate that the teams below them are in even worse form than they are

CAFC 2 v Lincoln City 0
  • Charlton win, Wimbledon lose and it’s party time at the valley come 5pm as relegation becomes an impossiblity for another season and the players can start looking forward to being on the beach for the rest of the season.
  • Going to smash them 0-0.
  • 1-1 draw, still not confident to predict a victory. 3 wins before doesn't change that, COYR
  • 2-1 and party time, well any excuse for a drop of the good stuff. 
  • Last time reffed us Kettle mark was 3.65 at Burton
    Good job he ain’t in charge tomorrow then
    Sorry Lancs, was a bit of a lame "April Fools" thing from me posting Stroud and Kettle as joint refs

Have updated the proper referee now who is Robert Madley
  • I will be surprised if Lee and John are on the bench and Morgan again does not get a look in, but you are more right than me FA, so what do I know
  • Sponsored links:

• "final whistle finally blows in Suffolk". Doubt the players will hear it and will be knackered for Tuesday night.
  • "final whistle finally blows in Suffolk". Doubt the players will hear it and will be knackered for Tuesday night.
    Was referencing the final game of the season @ Ipswich
    Ok, fair enough ,my error.
  • edited April 2022
    "final whistle finally blows in Suffolk". Doubt the players will hear it and will be knackered for Tuesday night.
    Ok, fair enough ,my error.
    Equally probably something that sounded clear in my head, but clearly wasnt for everyone else

Can see why you'd have questioned it, reading it back.
  • We'll mash em!
    We'll smash em!

1-0
  • I think we'll win, in a performance that will light up the Valley ... with mobile torchlight.