Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Outlaw Vocal fry

The subconscious action of lowering speech tone below vocal range, usually to convey a message lucking in conviction due to its gutless conforming nature (very popular in management speak) resulting in gravelly asbestos sounding inaudible shite.
Such an epidemic, it's tragic.
I'm in therapy...
But you!!! 
What do you think..?
Recommission the guillotines? ??

Comments

• Nope, no idea at all
  • is this a reference to the Nirvana performance of Smells Like Teen Spirit on Top of the Pops when Kurt Cobain sung in a baritone, as recently repeated on BBC4?
  • It's mildly irritating.  But vocal speech patterns change over time.  I imagine it will dissipate soon, only to be replaced by something even more grating. 
  • Sounds like someone mumbled something under their breath and this is the fallout from not being told what was said.
  • Best wishes with the therapy.
  • Was it a Clint Eastwood movie?
  • Up there with upspeak
  • Sounds like someone needs some doom-metal aversion therapy 
  • Well,                                                                                    !

There, I've said it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe that "lowering speech tone below vocal range" is a logical impossibility; if it's below vocal range, then it ain't speech. Therefore whatever this thing is that you're talking about, it doesn't exist.
  • Stig said:
    I believe that "lowering speech tone below vocal range" is a logical impossibility; if it's below vocal range, then it ain't speech. Therefore whatever this thing is that you're talking about, it doesn't exist.
    For existence stay tuned
  • The subconscious action of lowering speech tone below vocal range, usually to convey a message lucking in conviction due to its gutless conforming nature (very popular in management speak) resulting in gravelly asbestos sounding inaudible shite.
    I'm in therapy...
    But you!!! 
    What do you think..?

Que?
  • Barry shouting from the touchline? 

Is it a clue from dusty bin ? 
  • Lollards?
  • is this referring to Tom Waits ?
  • The subconscious action of lowering speech tone below vocal range, usually to convey a message lucking in conviction due to its gutless conforming nature (very popular in management speak) resulting in gravelly asbestos sounding inaudible shite.
    I'm in therapy...
    But you!!! 
    What do you think..?

Nah,…. It’s gone over my head….. 
  • edited May 2022
    Good analogy in the comments of this video… it’s the vocal equivalent of dragging your feet. 

Most famous person guilty of vocal fry? Probably Kim Kardashian…

• Sponsored links:

• I noticed this a few years ago, primarily with young American actresses. 

I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve, it doesn't sound natural or cool.  I have to switch to sub titles - which admittedly isn't natural or cool either.  :/
  • Good analogy in the comments of this video… it’s the vocal equivalent of dragging your feet. 

Most famous person guilty of vocal fry? Probably Kim Kardashian…

Excellent analogy,  and that is why Louis Armstrong and Tom Waits are definitely not in that category. They both don't go below their range, and whatever you think of them, they are not hiding or dragging their feet.
    Some people have gravely voice. I actually like it. But vocal fry reeks of all the ills of post Industrial revolution humanity.

And gyms too...
  • Lee Marvin would be turning in his grave!
  • I used to work with a woman who did this loads. You knew she was bullshitting as soon as it started. She was a person who bullshitted all the way through her work as far as I could tell. Never gave us anything to work with. Just croaky words.

Last time I saw her on LinkedIn, she had risen to head of PR for one of the biggest organisations in the UK. 
  • Solidgone said:
    Lee Marvin would be turning in his grave!
    I read that as turning in his gravel
  • You want to hear a vocal fry? This is a vocal fry... 

https://youtu.be/vVDXTFeGYwc
  • Listen to the ending of every sentence.
    A message with no messenger...
    I am sure that when Hannah Arendt came out with the Phrase:  'The Banality of Evil' this is what she had in mind.

Never mind Eichmann...

https://youtu.be/AWdDzrHq8c0
  • edited May 2022