Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well Done Jake Daniels

17yr old young pro at Blackpool, first professional footballer to come out as gay since Fashunu.

Incredibly brave thing for a kid to do at the start of his career.  I expect the reaction to be overwhelmingly positive and it will be interesting whether his courage will provide the inspiration to others in the game. 

Comments

• Options
    well done lad, huge amount of courage to do that.

good luck to him
  • Options
    Fair play to the lad. Good luck to him
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Although you were beaten by me @AFKABartram to this (even used the same title and my lawyers have been watching) happy for you to close the thread started by me down. No one reads anything I say anyway!

• Options
    It is incredibly brave but being 17 could be a positive. I might be overestimate UK footie fans but feel they’re much less likely to give ‘banter’ or stick to a 17 year old than someone who is 25/26. Of course it’s not acceptable either way but we all know it’s going to happen. Just really hope this can change things going forward. 
  • Options
    He's got a lot of bottle, and must be made of strong stuff! Just hope he can remain in strong spirits if any negativity comes his way. I raise a toast to him though
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Fantastic courage for someone so young and only at the start of their career. Hopefully a very important step to acceptance of all characteristics and beliefs in football in this country and beyond.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brave lad... Shame though he has to be applauded for these actions in 2022.

Hopefully it wont be long before its seen as completely normal news
  • Options
    Wait for it...
  • Options
    It is incredibly brave but being 17 could be a positive. I might be overestimate UK footie fans but feel they’re much less likely to give ‘banter’ or stick to a 17 year old than someone who is 25/26. Of course it’s not acceptable either way but we all know it’s going to happen. Just really hope this can change things going forward. 
    Just gotta clamp down on it. Treat it the same as racism. Lifetime ban. 
    Absolutely 
  • Options
    Was only a matter of time before a footballer came out and said he was gay. 

Both codes of Rugby and Cricket have many gay sportsman in their codes and no one batters an eye to it now. 
  • Options
    Steve Davies has been getting on with it at Somerset for a good ten years since he came out. Here's to getting on with the game. 
  • Options
    People will probably forget that he's a Gay Footballer in a few years time.

If he was 25/26 and a seasoned professional, then there is the unfortunate risk of it being remembered come the start of next season, and he'll get "bantaaaa" thrown at him from the beginning.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Well done to him, being the first is the hardest, and now it is up to fans to do the right thing to help others follow. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2022/may/16/a-message-from-jake-daniels/ 

Good luck to Jake and the many more people who will have the courage to live their real lives. 
  • Options
    Hopefully there will be more to follow. It really shouldn’t be a big deal, but very brave of the lad, at only 17. 
  • Options
    Good for him 
  • Options
    Spoke with a clarity and honesty that belied his age. A big moment that will open possibilities for a lot of people who may have been struggling in this sport and beyond. Congratulations, Jake.
  • Options
    Watched his interview, spoke like a 30 year old. Fair play to him
  • Options
    Well played to the lad took some guts that when you consider the toxic environment of online etc these days.
  • Options
    Everyone has the right to be themself and not to hide who they are.