Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lets get it straight, once and for all

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Parkinson is our manager and has a contract until next June.

He may have signed this contract when he was an "assistant" but seeing that his then "boss" was sacked he is now the boss.

The club put him in charge in Janauary and never said it was until the end of the season .........if, so, please find the relevant "quote" saying so.

Otherwise, lets just get on iwth the fact that Phil Parkinson is our manager, like it or not.

Comments

• Well said Golf
  • agreed, but what stops the club confirming it - after all it is they and PP himself who shed doubt on that
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]agreed, but what stops the club confirming it - after all it is they and PP himself who shed doubt on that

Absolutely. It is incumbent on the club to clarify the issue and obvious that it needs to do so, given the uncertainty that it has itself fostered. Until and unless it does so, the speculation is bound to continue - as I'm sure those involved are fully aware.
  • If they do confirm it now won't that be effectively a vote of confidence? And won't that mean he will be the first manager in history to receive the dreaded 'vote of confidence' from the board almost before the pre season has started?
  • Drifting into farce tbh.
  • So how many of the other 91 clubs who have the same manager as at the end of last season have had to announce confirmation that incumbent was still in place?
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]If they do confirm it now won't that be effectively a vote of confidence? And won't that mean he will be the first manager in history to receive the dreaded 'vote of confidence' from the board almost before the pre season has started?

that is ridiculous because it is true......

my word....

what a flippin mess..... man...

(please can we have a decent first five games, please....)

I am almost scared.....
  • he was 'assistant', took over the Manager's job still on an 'assistant's' contract and so he remains an 'assistant'. As Airman Brown says the club needs to clarify the situation. If Parky is still Manager, whether on an assistants contract or not, then tell us that. Otherwise we can only assume that he won't be Manager much longer, as many of us have previously been told.
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]So how many of the other 91 clubs who have the same manager as at the end of last season have had to announce confirmation that incumbent was still in place?

I'm not interested in the other 91 clubs, but the situation here and now as it has been left by CAFC. It isn't good enough. There may very well be valid reasons for that and in my judgement there are, but the people who have committed to season tickets and the remaining staff deserve an explanation and at some point they will have to be given one.
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]So how many of the other 91 clubs who have the same manager as at the end of last season have had to announce confirmation that incumbent was still in place?

Because we seem to be the only club in the league where the majority of supporters and media (rightly or wrongly) thought that the manager was dead and buried. Only to see him rise from the flames.............
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]So how many of the other 91 clubs who have the same manager as at the end of last season have had to announce confirmation that incumbent was still in place?

yes but our situation is muddied by the fact he was still on an assistant managers contract and only appointed as Manager until the end of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]So how many of the other 91 clubs who have the same manager as at the end of last season have had to announce confirmation that incumbent was still in place?

I'm not interested in the other 91 clubs, but the situation here and now as it has been left by CAFC. It isn't good enough. There may very well be valid reasons for that and in my judgement there are, but the people who have committed to season tickets and the remaining staff deserve an explanation and at some point they will have to be given one.

Surely the situation as you call it has only arisen from rumour and counter rumour on message boards?
  • PP Pheonix Pardkinson :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]So how many of the other 91 clubs who have the same manager as at the end of last season have had to announce confirmation that incumbent was still in place?

Because we seem to be the only club in the league where the majority of supporters and media (rightly or wrongly) thought that the manager was dead and buried. Only to see him rise from the flames.............

Phoenix phil
  • We are told to heed the announcements on the 'Official Site' regarding takeovers and the like. Can anybody show where it says that Phil Parkinson is the official full on first team manager for the length of his/a contract?
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    Surely the situation as you call it has only arisen from rumour and counter rumour on message boards?

Not really, i think thats a bit unfair.

I think it stems from a combination of an absolute dire performance in terms of results, statements made towards the end of last season that a thorough end of season review was to be committed, Parky himself stating he was unsure about his future, comments made at supporters Q+A meetings, Richard Murray stating at the shareholders meeting that a decision would be made 'in the next few week's, the ridiculous suggestion stemming from the FF meeting that the more people renew, the more chance we would have of getting rid of him.

Of course, that is against a backdrop of messageboard uncertainty, and naturally so. Some speculative, some stemming from good sources.

The thing has become a farce, and it is certainly not the work of supporters.
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram some stemming from good sources.

It seems to me that some good sources arent quite as good as people thought they were!
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    It seems to me that some good sources arent quite as good as people thought they were?[/cite]

Can only speak for myself, but in terms of Parkinson then i feel misleaded on what i was told, yes. Intentional ? I doubt it, but in my mind it has added to the confusion and should have been publicly corrected if circumstances had changed. I think the whole thing regarding him has been handled appallingly, and i relayed that to a director 7 weeks ago.

Were the other points not an accurate assessment of the confusion though ?
  • In the absence of any official news, then the vacuum will always be filled with gossip and speculation. Every Charlton fan has a theory at the moment and not many include PP..........
  • Sponsored links:

• The fact that the players have reported back for pre-season training and there is still no announcement is quite frankly ridiculous. Our last game was 7 weeks ago.
  • It's been an issue on here lately whether apathy has let the club get away with keeping PP on as manager. If we were going to show our unhappiness with anything at the moment, for me it would have to be the lack of information about what is going at the club and who is going to be in charge. It seems ridiculous.

But then i always have this doubt that maybe there is something going on behind the scenes which mean they just can't clarify what is happening with parky. that maybe we still have to trust people like Richard Murray after all these years. or am i being naive?
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

yes but our situation is muddied by the fact he was still on an assistant managers contract and only appointed as Manager until the end of the season.

I’ve heard lots of people say this but I can’t get my head around it. He was on an assistants contract, he was assistant to Pardew. Pardew isn’t there anymore and no one has been appointed in his stead, therefore Parkinson can’t be an “assistant” manager simply because there is no one for him to be assistant to ! Or have I got it all wrong ?
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Parkinson is our manager and has a contract until next June.

He may have signed this contract when he was an "assistant" but seeing that his then "boss" was sacked he is now the boss.

The club put him in charge in Janauary and never said it was until the end of the season .........if, so, please find the relevant "quote" saying so.

Otherwise, lets just get on iwth the fact that Phil Parkinson is our manager, like it or not.

He is manager 'only' until as and when there is a takeover(that's the way I see it anyway)....as one might be imminent the club is understandably a little reluctant to confirm his appointment only to see him being given his marching orders within days of a new era at the club.
    If the current set up remains I expect him to stay...at least in the short term....if a takeover happens, I should imagine he'll be replaced..........at least as manager.
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

I’ve heard lots of people say this but I can’t get my head around it. He was on an assistants contract, he was assistant to Pardew. Pardew isn’t there anymore and no one has been appointed in his stead, therefore Parkinson can’t be an “assistant” manager simply because there is no one for him to be assistant to ! Or have I got it all wrong ?

He's a paid member of the staff, under contract.

He can be just 'caretaking', in the absence of a permanent Manager appointment for either someone new or even himself.

• why does it need a statement from the club ??

As Brunello posted earlier, no other club has needed to come out and say that their manager is still the manager, why would they ??

Just because some fans on here and on other message boards felt Parky was here until he lst gam of the season, whereas if you read Murray's comments from January this year just stated that he was now the permanent manger after having a month in temporay charge..........nothin about how long this was far and therefore no need for th board to have to re-state his position.

He was the manager at the end of the season - he is still the manager. End of.

PS - I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but I get so fed up with reading that "we have no manager".......we have, just get used to it.
  • No i dont have to " get use to it" i along with alot of others dont have to f**kin well go if i dont want to. Im more inclined not to go if Parky is still there when we kick off------------- i suspect that could be the case with alot this season.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]why does it need a statement from the club ??

As Brunello posted earlier, no other club has needed to come out and say that their manager is still the manager, why would they ??

Just because some fans on here and on other message boards felt Parky was here until he lst gam of the season, whereas if you read Murray's comments from January this year just stated that he was now the permanent manger after having a month in temporay charge..........nothin about how long this was far and therefore no need for th board to have to re-state his position.

PS - I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but I get so fed up with reading that "we have no manager".......we have, just get used to it.

but some of us were told he was to no longer be Manager. If he now is then they should tell us. The misinformation coming out of the Club is staggering.
  • what afka said is why it needs confirmation
    I think it stems from a combination of an absolute dire performance in terms of results, statements made towards the end of last season that a thorough end of season review was to be committed, Parky himself stating he was unsure about his future, comments made at supporters Q+A meetings, Richard Murray stating at the shareholders meeting that a decision would be made 'in the next few week's, the ridiculous suggestion stemming from the FF meeting that the more people renew, the more chance we would have of getting rid of him.

Of course, that is against a backdrop of messageboard uncertainty, and naturally so. Some speculative, some stemming from good sources.

The thing has become a farce, and it is certainly not the work of supporters.

even parky himself said he wasn't sure if he will be in charge. Kinsella also said he didn't know what his situation was at the club. regardless though, the club must be aware of the speculation, so what is the harm in coming out and saying ''parkinson is our manager, we think he's the right man for the job, lets all get behind him''?
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]why does it need a statement from the club ??

but some of us were told he was to no longer be Manager. If he now is then they should tell us. The misinformation coming out of the Club is staggering.

I don't hear any misinformation coming out of the club, Large ....... but like you, I'm deafened by the wall of silence.