Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Centre Forwards

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the existing strike force we have is made up of

Burton
Gray
Dickson
Fleetwood
Tuna
McLeod

I think most League 1 sides would love to have those options.

Has Kandol gone back to Leeds?

Comments

• What about Mcleod, is he still with us?

Reckon he could do a good job for us in League 1 playing off of Gray or Burton.
  • i like the positivity of this thread! that's a good set of strikers i think for league one. I agree that mcleod could make a good contribution this year.
  • mcleod brilliant while he isn't playing just like the rest of our tosh and when they play utter junk
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]i like the positivity of this thread! that's a good set of strikers i think for league one. I agree that mcleod could make a good contribution this year.[/quote]

But why did PP fob him off on loan after one comeback game, and to boot didn't include a recall clause? Another dressing room mystery. I'd be surprised if he isn't on his way, but we'll struggle to get better without spending money we haven't got.
  • Personally think that it's more of a big season for Fleetwood and Dickson who can start to show their true potential, with the experience of Burton and Gray it's a good mix bit too soon really for Tuna.

Do we need 6 forwards to tackle league one tho when we most probs be having one centre forward on the pitch.

Also hard to say who should be the no1 forward who has done enough do we see a 15-20 goal man there.
  • [cite]Posted By: AddickRam[/cite]Personally think that it's more of a big season for Fleetwood and Dickson who can start to show their true potential, with the experience of Burton and Gray it's a good mix bit too soon really for Tuna.

Do we need 6 forwards to tackle league one tho when we most probs be having one centre forward on the pitch.

Also hard to say who should be the no1 forward who has done enough do we see a 15-20 goal man there.
    I don't think Norwich will fancy facing Deon Burton again for a while.
  • Tuna IS rubbish. Won't make it as a professional footballer. Said the same for Basey.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]mcleod brilliant while he isn't playing just like the rest of our tosh and when they play utter junk

you have ruined the positivity of this thread oohaah! look at the responses since you said that...
  • sorry bbclaus ;-(
    i'm sick of positivity , people have been trying to be positive for 3 years since you know who left and i'm afraid they're living in cloud cuckoo land
    but one day this board will be full of positivity when we get promoted to the promised land of the championship , i just can't wait for those balmy days to arrive ;-)
  • when we win our first six games this place will be overflowing with positivity.

it's funny, i was thinking of saying that now this thread has been filled up with negativity you might as well mention curbs. should have known you wouldn't need the invitation... ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• i was talking about dowie ;-)
    didn't wanna mention any names cos i'll get typecast !!
  • Positivity or blind faith???

I still don't think we have any sort of pairing out of our strikers that will be successful enough to gain auto promotion.

Is it so positive to say one or two of the strikers have potential? We heard that about McCloud and Dickson last year, ok it is more likely this division is there level but not definite. Dickson had a magic spell for the Gills but he also failed at Crewe and McCloud couldn't cut it at Millwall in a team that was going well. Fleetwood was playing a division below this. Burton is not prolific and I can't see that changing although you would expect him to score a few more goals at this level.

Defenders are no more mugs in the 1st as they are in the Champs you have to have a partnership that makes it happen.

Gray, who knows, it will depend on his mentality if he is up for it or not.

I really think we need to do a bit of wheeling & dealing and get a commanding arial threat player and then possibly one of the others might come off if we can provide the service.
  • If we don't sign anyone it has to be Burton or Gray with Dickson/Fleetwood/McLeod.

Though I'm not really sure which way would be best, for now Burton and Dickson for me.

And yeah Kandol's loan expired day after Norwich game, and we haven't heard anything about him since. Hope we don't sign him, he has his moments but Burton and Gray will both be more useful.
  • Shoot me down if you will, but IMO Dickson. McLeod and Fleetwood are cack.
    I for one am not interested in hanging around in the hope they will regain their confidence now we've dropped down a league.

Parkinson should be doing everything in his power to scrape together what is necessary to get in a striker worthy of the name to play alongside either Burton or Gray who actually have some worthwile higher league experience and nous.

If the fantastic trio end up making me eat my words, terrific, but I'm not holding my breath.
    To think Pardew paid good money for McLeod - he can barely control a football.
  • I know what you mean, I don't particularly rate any of them.

Though if that's all we end up with, it's got to be one of them alongside Burton or Gray most of the time just for the balance.

Horrible thinking how much Pardew spent on those four and Varney. Only Dickson has really paid back the fee.
  • edited June 2009
    I can understand elements of the negativity towards these strikers(Tuna being the exception as he has only appeared briefly), & I don't think defences in Div 3 will be mugs, but I still think these strikers, whoever remains at the start of the season, will be capable of getting goals at this level, providing they get the service.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Tuna IS rubbish. Won't make it as a professional footballer. Said the same for Basey.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more Supaclive. If Tuna spent less time pulling up his shorts and putting his hair back into place he'd have a better chance.

As for Basey...STOP MISS-KICKING AND LEARN TO RUN.
  • ha ha ha you are slating two of our youth well done guys great support from you two ;o)
  • id still like to see liam dickenson on a seasons loan he is big strong & knows were the net is and he knocked the stuffing out of us when playing for blackpool send tuna out on loan to a lower league club
  • Fleetwood and Dickson, I think we've seen their potential and they will not be 1st choice next season, Grey will get picked up by a Championship team, Tuna will get canned as too inexperienced - leaving us with McLeod and Burton. ... Michael Owen is available.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]ha ha ha you are slating two of our youth well done guys great support from you two ;o)[/quote]

You don't see me knocking Elliot, Shelvey, Fortune or Solly - all of whom have a decent career ahead of them. And trust me, Basey and Tuna are better than your average non league players - but they are not cut out for first team Charlton - or shouldn't be, at a club like Charlton.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lee Heywood[/cite]id still like to see liam dickenson on a seasons loan he is big strong & knows were the net is and he knocked the stuffing out of us when playing for blackpool send tuna out on loan to a lower league club

we can't get to much lower than us !!

for what it's worth, I'd like us to sign Kandol and then play him with Dickson...give them a decent run together and I think they'd cause problems.
  • McLeod, regardless of ability, will never fulfil his potential because he is very naughty boy. I don't think anyone in the club's management would welcome him back and he only cemented his reputation at Milwall
  • Pretty good bunch of forwards for League One - on paper

I'd like to see Gray play the majority of games and become our main striker. To start the season I guess you'd have to go with Dickson playing off of him.
  • Problem for me is that I just don`t think that the club can afford to carry five strikers (not including Tuna) now that the investment thing is dead. Would expect Gray to go tbh.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Problem for me is that I just don`t think that the club can afford to carry five strikers (not including Tuna) now that the investment thing is dead. [/quote]

Is it dead?
  • edited June 2009
    Still not the slightest hint that its alive so I am assuming its dead.
  • Dazzler you silly boy. I've supported this club for more years than i care to remember so please don't insult me.

I can see talent when i see it and Basey and especially Tuna ain't talent! Have you ever seen Tuna make a run without stopping half way through and sorting his shorts out or pulling his socks up? I'll support the lads at every opportunity but when i see talentless players in the team i have a right in saying so (on a forum and not at the game i might add. i'll never boo a Charlton player).

I love Charlton, have a CAFC tattoo, been a season ticket holder for 18 years, been a Valley gold member for at least 10 years. I think i have the right to spot talent in my team! By the way i'm only 33 so i'm not a moany old git (no offence moany old gits).
  • Tuna has barely appeared so I find it staggering to write him off already

Basey is big, strong and has a sweet left foot (best delivery bar Shelvey)

lets hope they dont read this board!! Is it any fucking wonder the players don't bleed for the club when "fans" want to rip them to shreds all the time

Jesus - lay off the kids!!
  • If rumors I hear are true Andy Gray has signed for Lyon! Then We have to pick from McCleod, Burton, Fleetwood and Dickson and Tuna.

I would be happy with them 5 in this division a good mixture of experince and styles.