Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Manager Required

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Alrite, Watford fan here, still disappointed to see you go from the Champ, always had a good time at the Valley but good luck in bouncing back

PBEMFF is an online, email based football manager game where you submit a teamsheet using a programme to create it with your starting line up, tactics, subs, aggression etc and can complete news articles, transfers and general activities on the message board to improve your side or make some money! Pretty simple once you've got to grips with what the numbers mean.

Anyway Charlton is available so take a look if your interested (there's bugger all to do with no football on atm anyway!)

http://www.pbemff.co.uk/index.htm

Register on the forum
http://pbems.proboards12.com
or send an email to the commish if your interested in taking the position...few other sides available as well if theres more of you.

Cheers for looking, good luck for next season in real life!

Comments

• ironic
  • Ha, who is meant to be getting the job at Charlton now, is Parkinson still around?

I think Boothroyd would do a great job for you on nothing
  • [cite]Posted By: PBEMFF[/cite]Ha, who is meant to be getting the job at Charlton now, is Parkinson still around?

Good question, we fans are getting the mushroom treatment from the club, if only we had a Fans' Forum to find out what the situation is...
  • esms system?
  • Yeah I was right.

You might know me as Lamby from many other esms sites (and my own one that I run)
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Good question, we fans are getting the mushroom treatment from the club, if only we had a Fans' Forum to find out what the situation is...

Memo to self .......... must organise a Q&A with Richard Murray and Derek Chappell on 9th July
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Good question, we fans are getting the mushroom treatment from the club, if only we had a Fans' Forum to find out what the situation is...

Memo to self .......... must organise a Q&A with Richard Murray and Derek Chappell on 9th July

And ask Chappell his meaning of the word "results!"
    And ask both of them how they can keep a manager who presided over the worst spell in club history?
    ... unless Parky is gone by the 9th. But still ask Chappell for his definition of results! That should be enlightening.
  • Amercian Addick, This will be the most hotly anticipated question. I suspect that they might try and pin the 'results' on his last 10 games when we almost stopped losing and we beat two relegation bound sides, and importantly we didn't slide down the league table any further (I actually expected us, with parky in charge, to finish 25th in the league). Next, they will talk about the need for stability, that parky has fine form in league one, he knows the players etc...

What then, if we start poorly? How long do you think they could hold on to parky if we are bottom half of the table after say 5 or 10 games? parky's form suggests that this is likely.
  • Is it just Parky though ? The squad we have is dreadfully weak in certain areas and the one area we are blessed with some quality is likely to be decimated with sales. Not much of the sale money is going to be used to replace or strengthen. Tall order for us to hit the ground running and look like a cohesive unit imho. More likely is a slower start with a stronger finish and thats if PP gets it right later on. Tough season this one. My prediction is 10th
  • I suggest that parky played considerably more than minor role in the club's final league position.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Good question, we fans are getting the mushroom treatment from the club, if only we had a Fans' Forum to find out what the situation is...

This could be sorted out with a quick e-mail, no need for a meeting...
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

This could be sorted out with a quick e-mail, no need for a meeting...

Dear Richard,

Me and a few pals were wondering who is meant to be getting the Manager's job at Charlton. Is Phil Parkinson still around?

Dear Dave,

I'm pleased that you dropped me this e-mail as I had no idea that such a question was uppermost in the minds of Charlton supporters. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Now that I am aware of this question I'll have a chat with the rest of my boardroom chums and get back to you once we have made up our minds.
  • Dear Dave,

I'm pleased that you dropped me this e-mail as I had no idea that such a question was uppermost in the minds of Charlton supporters. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Now that I am aware of this question I'll have a chat with the rest of my boardroom chums and get back to you once we have made up our minds.

The big danger I saw in the FF concept was that it would become a gigantic and well meaning talking shop massaging the egos of those involved but not really capable of being sufficiently objective enough to really represent our concerns and get answers to questions that are being raised on a daily basis. Structurally if having a supporter sat on the board was not deemed effective, I'm wondering now just how seriously the board are taking this latest initiative.

As I see it there are two burning questions that have arisen repeatedly over the last few months:
    i) What is the ownership sitiation, are the club in talks with anyone, is a buyout a possibility or a probability etc...
    ii) What is the situation regarding the managerial structure?

Pre-season training has begun and the real stuff kicks off in the near future. I'm wondering what kind of organisation would leave questions floating over two very important roles (well they are at most clubs) without communicating to their customer base. After all there are many people out there who have yet to renew their season tickets, there are others who might be considering sponsorship deals - to not publicly comment on the status of the management/coaching team irks me, maybe from your gilded perspective there is nothing to worry about. I think we all know that after three very poor seasons we need a strong start to the next season and the lack of any communication over PP's and MK's roles is strange, more so from a club that usually takes great pride in the PR side of things.

The answer to the first question might be a "no comment", which I'd understand, perhaps with something to suggest that talks have been on-going but any public comment might affect the deal, i.e. the question is left hanging. The second question is pretty basic, that you prefer a sarcastic response is perhaps indicative that either you are afraid to ask the question or perhaps that you have but are getting the run-around and are afraid to report back here. Either way it's not what I expect from someone who is supposedly there to represent the Fans. In psychology there is a concept known as the "Stockholm Syndrome" - whereby the captives of kidnappers start to show signs of loyalty and emotional attachment to their captors. I'm beginning to wonder if you haven't swapped any objectivity that you have for some variation on this?

In which case while I'm sure sitting on the FF is a great experience but until you demonstrate that you can actually get off your arse and ask a couple of questions that it is your responsibility to to ask then I'm going to fear the worst.
  • edited June 2009
    BFR,

Can I refer you to the copious minutes which we have produced from our various meetings with the club since the inception of the Fans' Forum last October?

www.charltonfansforum.co.uk contains everything.

Do you honestly think that we haven't asked the questions you highlight? The answers may have been less than ideal, but that is not because we have failed to ask the questions ...... as the minutes will confirm. It may be more attributable to the fact that the club hasn't got its act together, and doesn't have 'black and white' answers. Hardly the fault of the Fans' Forum ..... however unpalatable that may be to the majority of us.

It's a pity that our efforts so far equate to 'failing to get off our arse' in your mind, but that's your call. In the meantime, why not use the opportunity on the 9th July which has been provided ........ oh yes, by the Fans' Forum ........ to show us how it should be done?
  • If it means anything I think the FF are doing OK and are far more than a focus group type thing, I think most of the points raised could equally apply to the old system. Any chance you could summarise some of the questions Dave?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]If it means anything I think the FF are doing OK and are far more than a focus group type thing, I think most of the points raised could equally apply to the old system. Any chance you could summarise some of the questions Dave?

If you mean questions which are asked at the Q&A session on the 9th July, then yes, of course, we intend to provide a full written summary after the event.

Please note that the Fans Forum has no prepared questions. There will be an open floor on the night, and supporters are encouraged to attend and ask whatever is important to them. It's a racing certainty that BFR's top two will appear on most people's agenda, I think.
  • I meant this

http://www.charltonfansforum.co.uk/index_files/Page546.htm

But I look forward to reading the next ones.
  • BFR....you simply cannot 'force' directors to answer in a completely forthright fashion at present....only hope they do.
    I am firmly of the belief that there has been tons of unusual 'ducking and diving' (for want of a better term), by some of our more better known directors of late, as I'm convinced there have been several proposed takeovers in the pipeline or at least enquries shall we say....just which ones are 'still' live who knows.
    I also note for example that there are supposed to be no fewer than three different organisations/consortiums interested in Newcastle....what's to say that one of these isn't also in the frame for us if their offer for Newcastle falls through....who knows......and indeed like players transfers or buying and selling a house there may be a chain of some sort involved.This is not only an example with Necastle as being their first option but other clubs too.
    Just a thought I admit but quite a legitimate and reasonable one under the circumstances.
  • So...the sum total of your efforts has been to organise a meeting with two members of the board?! One that has been pushed back two weeks at that.

Wow, where do you find the energy? Yep, I am underwhelmed by your efforts...

Just send him an e-mail, it's that simple. Some things can wait, but occasionally to prove your worth you have to insist on getting answers, I appreciate in some quarters that might make you unpopular but it may give you a little more credibility elsewhere. The mistake you are making here is to repeat the party line unquestioningly, and increasingly this looks like obsequiousness and a lack of objectivity on your part. After all the delay in clarifying who is manager and will only increase from here-on in...

To remind you, Parky and Kins have important jobs, not just at the club itself but in communicating to us Fans who is in charge. I can't imagine say Man U not clarifying Alex Ferguson's status, and the post-season question marks that hung over clubs like Chelsea and Man City were resolved very quickly after the season ended, so why the delay at Charlton? Doesn't that concern you at all?

I suggest you get an answer or report back that Murray and co are stalling, in which case perhaps you and your fellow FF members should be having a few private conversations amongst yourselves as to your true value and standing...from here it looks like you are being taken for granted, that you prefer to take a combative line with me suggests that you prefer to angle questions away from the direction they should be going in, at times like this we need someone who'll make his voice heard.

In essence I don't think you are doing your job very well. Bless his cardigan but Ben Hayes wasn't this easy to push over...
  • **Popcorn**
  • Sponsored links:

• BFR are you paying attention or what....there have been several takeover scenarios going on ....that being the case how the fook can they confirm anything or be more transparent until all bids are binned!!! We know the board is split to some degree as to what's wanted or acceptable to different directors(and that for me is THE burning question)....that doesn't take a genius to work out now does it.
    Christ it's as plain as the nose on yer face mate....that's why the date was put back because by then they will no doubt know one way or the other what's going to go down re the coming season and then let's hope that FF can get the answers for which we all clamour.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]**Popcorn**

MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif
  • edited June 2009
    BFR,

Clearly I've found you on a bad day.

The 9th July meeting is not the sum total of our efforts. Read the copious minutes.

And let me try again .......... you are not getting answers because (in my view) there are no answers. Not sure how you interpret this as being easy to push over. You seem to think that by asking the same things over and over (or by sending an e-mail), answers will appear where answers didn't previously exist.

By the way, I am not taking a combative line with you. I am trying to clarify your misunderstandings.

Take a look at the minute from the meeting on 14th May concerning our question about Phil Parkinson's position:

Steve Waggott reiterated that Phil Parkinson’s contract runs until June 2010 and, until he is told otherwise, he is continuing to fulfil that role by going to matches, scouting players, scouring leagues and planning for next season. It was understood that some fans wanted to know whether he will stay or go before they renew their season tickets, and it was suggested that, if some fans wanted him to go, by renewing it would give the club money to possibly change things, but either way it was unknown at this point as to his position going forward. There was a discussion regarding whether any decisions could be reliant on a takeover or investment, but as further information regarding this isn’t available at present, it was difficult to discuss in detail. It was agreed that, at some point in the not too distant future, an announcement would have to be made either way, but it was unclear when this would be.

Like it or not ........ that is an answer. Surely we deserve a cardigan (each) for that?
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]BFR....you simply cannot 'force' directors to answer in a completely forthright fashion at present....only hope they do.
    I am firmly of the belief that there has been tons of unusual 'ducking and diving' (for want of a better term), by some of our more better known directors of late, as I'm convinced there have been several proposed takeovers in the pipeline or at least enquries shall we say....just which ones are 'still' live who knows.
    I also note for example that there are supposed to be no fewer than three different organisations/consortiums interested in Newcastle....what's to say that one of these isn't also in the frame for us if their offer for Newcastle falls through....who knows......and indeed like players transfers or buying and selling a house there may be a chain of some sort involved.This is not only an example with Necastle as being their first option but other clubs too.
    Just a thought I admit but quite a legitimate and reasonable one under the circumstances.

So, we know more about the takeover situation at Newcastle (and Southampton) than we do at our club?

I'm not too concerned about the T/O - what will be, will be, but it doesn't hurt to ask the question though.

What does need to be clarified is who is managing the club and who is the senior coach. From press reports it seems that despite the rumours and much conjecture to the contrary that PP and Kins are still over-seeing playing affairs. If that's the case then fine, all we need is a simple statement from the club that those two are still working in that capacity as per their contracts. No need for any secrecy, or obfuscation...and this is something that the FF should find easy to sort out and report back on. I was under the impression that fans/board communication was in their remit and indeed the reason why the Ff exists, however it seems not...
  • I agree BFR however I'm not sure the supporters Director would have jumped on the email as you suggest either, both are privileged roles with superior access and subject to whatever the Chairmen want to tell them.

If you really are that concerned get down to the club with a few thousand others and start waving plackards
  • Why do we need a statement from the Club re who our current manager & his deputy are? Its Parky & Kins until we hear otherwise. Or am i missing something?
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Why do we need a statement from the Club re who our current manager & his deputy are? Its Parky & Kins until we hear otherwise. Or am i missing something?

Ker-ching!!
  • well kins is out of contract, and oh well someone else takeover pls.
  • this discussion has gone round and round and round...
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]BFR,

Clearly I've found you on a bad day.

The 9th July meeting is not the sum total of our efforts. Read the copious minutes.

And let me try again .......... you are not getting answers because (in my view) there are no answers. Not sure how you interpret this as being easy to push over. You seem to think that by asking the same things over and over (or by sending an e-mail), answers will appear where answers didn't previously exist.

By the way, I am not taking a combative line with you. I'm a trying to clarify your misunderstandings.

Take a look at the minute from the meeting on 14th May concerning our question about Phil Parkinson's position:

Steve Waggott reiterated that Phil Parkinson’s contract runs until June 2010 and, until he is told otherwise, he is continuing to fulfil that role by going to matches, scouting players, scouring leagues and planning for next season. It was understood that some fans wanted to know whether he will stay or go before they renew their season tickets, and it was suggested that, if some fans wanted him to go, by renewing it would give the club money to possibly change things, but either way it was unknown at this point as to his position going forward. There was a discussion regarding whether any decisions could be reliant on a takeover or investment, but as further information regarding this isn’t available at present, it was difficult to discuss in detail. It was agreed that, at some point in the not too distant future, an announcement would have to be made either way, but it was unclear when this would be.

Like it or not ........ that is an answer. Surely we deserve a cardigan (each) for that?

It appears that organisational inertia has taken over both the club and the FF. On that I assure you that haven't caught me on a bad day, but I suspect in making that statement you prefer to revert to where you were earlier in the thread - prefering to deflect my questions rather than seek or offer proper answers to them, and offer sarcastic responses, as you've discovered anything you can do I can do equally well...

If it is clear that PP will continue overseeing matters then why is it so difficult to get Richard Murray or Steve Waggott to actually put that in writing and in the process demonstrate some faith and confidence in the guy? Murray, Chappell and one or two other board members are very skilled and experienced businessmen, I really do not believe that they'd leave such questions over senior managers unanswered in the companies they own and run.

"...and it was suggested that, if some fans wanted him to go, by renewing it would give the club money to possibly change things"

This as a statement of policy is hopelessly naive and dumb beyond belief, if that really is the level and the clarity of thought at board and FF level then we are fecked. If you were upset with say the cornish pasties on offer at Tesco's are you more or less likely to buy more in the hope that they'll improve the quality? I'm pretty sure that most people would swap to another brand...

Fans ultimately are customers and those who are fed with the quality of a product or sevice will vote with with their feet, they are more likely to do so when they have no faith in the managerial structure and are even more unlikely to do so in the circumstances you outline. I'm pretty sure instead that the board would regard it as an affirmation of fan/customer support for Parky/Kins if renewal levels were high, therefore it'd have completely the opposite effect. Using my analogy with cornish pasties at Tesco's - if sales of an inferior product rise then are you really going to change the recipe?

Now I repeat myself...are you going to e-mail RM and just get some clairity on what the managerial structure is or continue making excuses?