Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parky....Staying or going ?

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
I'm interested to know how many people on this board think Parky will stay, and how many think he will go. For me I have thought for some time that he'll be staying. Would he be scouting and signing players still if he was going ? Would the OS talk about his return to play Colchester this season ? Would'nt the board have acted at the end of last season if they were going to make a change ? Finally , would they really keep him in limbo over his future when the pre season starts next week. Surely they've clarified his position by now. What do you all think ?

Comments

• I think he will stay.
  • I want to cry.
  • TBH don't think it's even worth starting a thread on it.
  • Stay, for me I cannot see another other option, in a financial sense or in the sense of gauging what the board will actually do.

I will be gobsmacked if he isn't managing us next season.
  • Argh! Ok, just finished a brew, i consult em & let you know. If it was good enough for Ethel......
  • He will stay,the board wont get rid as it will give them bad press, as well as they cant afford to, personally dont think the bloke is up to it and to negative
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I want to cry.

ditto;-(
    b4 when we were shit i read about it once a week in the mercury, now it's everyday thru the internet and i haven't got the self control to ignore it and some freaks try and make out relegation will be exciting , well i hope those people are enjoying their excitment now
  • Everything points to him staying - Don't want him - but it looks like we're lumbered.
  • I think he'll end up staying and will suprise a few and do quite well.
  • Staying. And he'll give the board a difficult decision next summer by leading Charlton to promotion this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• i blame the floride in the local water
  • Staying....unfortunately
  • Its about time we started to question why it is automatic that if there is no takeover, he stays. The argument is that if there is a takeover , there will be the money to get rid of him. This implies that the new owners would assume his track record doesnt warrant his continuing employment.
    If so, why do the current owners think it does?
    The assumed answer is that they can't afford anyone better.
    Well I beg to differ. Currently we pay the salaries of a CEO, an MD, and a CFO. Well I've got clients turning over much more than Charlton will next year, in a highly competitive market, and they don't have all three of those. Some make do with a CEO and a finance manager of very modest credentials.
    The Board have always asked us to understand the financial realities. Well that cuts both ways.
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Its about time we started to question why it is automatic that if there is no takeover, he stays. The argument is that if there is a takeover , there will be the money to get rid of him. This implies that the new owners would assume his track record doesnt warrant his continuing employment.
    Well I beg to differ. Currently we pay the salaries of a CEO, an MD, and a CFO. Well I've got clients turning over much more than Charlton will next year, in a highly competitive market, and they don't have all three of those. Some make do with a CEO and a finance manager of very modest credentials.
    The Board have always asked us to understand the financial realities. Well that cuts both ways.

been led to believe by a Board Member that one of them is going. However, same Board Member said Parky was being sacked so who knows.
  • Looks like he's staying, which is what I feared a few weeks ago when he was being gradually pushed back into the limelight.
  • Glad he is staying we need to show the World that it dnt matter if your resuts are the worst in the clubs history or your a f**kin twonk good old CAFC will suport u.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]I think he'll end up staying and will suprise a few and do quite well.

I agree.
  • Staying hopefully. Best man for the job. Hope we can hang on to him.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Its about time we started to question why it is automatic that if there is no takeover, he stays. The argument is that if there is a takeover , there will be the money to get rid of him. This implies that the new owners would assume his track record doesnt warrant his continuing employment.
    The Board have always asked us to understand the financial realities. Well that cuts both ways.[/quote]

It cuts both ways, abso-blimmin-lootly. If I had written about the salaries wasted on the backroom staff, no end of people would have dug me out about it, and told me they're (the backroom staff) not gravy train riders, don't actually make any decisions, are nice people, and deserve respect.....and our season ticket money!
    It seems Mr Philip Parkinson will be staying, based (presumably) on the evidence of his achievement as our manager so far.
    I ask once again......how could it have been much worse? Random team selection, a goat plopping in a marked field, a rotation of supporters picking the side, management by Dale Winton or Stevie Wonder or Mystic Meg, the players picking their own team....how could our record using those methods have been worse than Mr Philip Parkinson?
    Perhaps our loyalty is not being taken for granted, perhaps we're not being played as mug punters, perhaps the team manager, the CEO, MD and CFO are doing a brilliant job in difficult circumstances bless 'em. Obviously we're just supporters who should knuckle down and 'get behind the boys'...otherwise we're lacking loyalty and we're not true Charlton.
    The bloke at Newcastle United...Freddie Shepherd wasn't it? He revealed the contempt some insiders have for the fans of their clubs...are we so sure that we are not viewed with the same contempt?
    This post is dedicated to the decent hard working executives at Charlton Athletic.
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]Staying hopefully. Best man for the job. Hope we can hang on to him.

So, are you Millwall, Palarse or just an Enemy From Within?
    Best man for the job?
    What job? Captain of the Titanic?
    Or are you satisfied with the job that Parky did overseeing the worst spell in the history of the club?

Is your standard of satisfaction so low that you actually find him to be "best man for the job?"

The only hanging that should be done is hanging Parky in effigy. Or a board that keeps him employed as manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]Staying hopefully. Best man for the job. Hope we can hang on to him.

So, are you Millwall, Palarse or just an Enemy From Within?
    Best man for the job?
    What job? Captain of the Titanic?
    Or are you satisfied with the job that Parky did overseeing the worst spell in the history of the club?

Is your standard of satisfaction so low that you actually find him to be "best man for the job?"

The only hanging that should be done is hanging Parky in effigy. Or a board that keeps him employed as manager.

Hang on a minute.The s**t we find ourselves in cannot be laid soley at Parkinsons door.Yes his results were poor ,but cleaning up the crap Pardew left behind was not an enviable task.Those that say he was just as much to blame as he was Pardew's number 2 are talking out their ars*.Pardew would listen to NOBODY so Parkinson,even though a decent enough manager himself, was just a yes man before he took the reins.
    Another reason for his poor performance could have been our blundering board.I used to have a lot of time for them,they put the money in,gave up their time and so on... But let's face it ,recent weeks have shown how badly organised they seem to be nowadays.They're a bit of a shower if we're honest and working under them is probably no walk in the park at the moment.
    Then you've got the squad of 'strangers'. Half of whom were brought in on the quick and, due again to Pardew's tactical wizardry, never seemed to play together from one week to the next.Take into consideration also the takeover that never was and the damage that caused.So before people start jumping on the 'Parkinsons a tw*t' bandwagon try putting yourself in his shoes for a minute.
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Its about time we started to question why it is automatic that if there is no takeover, he stays. The argument is that if there is a takeover , there will be the money to get rid of him. This implies that the new owners would assume his track record doesnt warrant his continuing employment.

Good post
  • want him to go but thinks he will stay
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]The only hanging that should be done is hanging Parky in effigy. Or a board that keeps him employed as manager.
    That is bang out of order.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]The only hanging that should be done is hanging Parky in effigy. Or a board that keeps him employed as manager.
    That is bang out of order.

Knowing him, I think his tongue is in his cheek, so you have to make allowances. :-) Americans don't do irony, they do Shock and Awe :-)

Anyway I think the most interesting question is why they keep Parkinson. Cost has to be the answer. In which case why haven't they taken the axe to the costs of the most senior non playing management. Get rid of one of the three and ask the others to take a pay cut (like at BA, to give an imperfect example). Redirect the savings to ensure the best quality football management. That is what the business is after all, a football club.

More than the issue of Parky per se, it is the failure to do this that most worries me about the current Board (lack of) activity.
  • Sadly he is staying and the board has taken a very big risk by doing nothing.

They very much hope that scuttling off after the welcome, but ultimately meaningless win over Norwich to under a stone over a very long hot summer that the apathy would slowly spread to the supporters, many of who have probably given up finding out any meaningful news from the club, because there is none.

We are now in preseason, the players are back and the board will now ask for patience, judge parky by and handfull of games towards the end of last season that he didn't lose, come with excuses that he knows the players, their strengths and weaknesses etc.

However, the board have only succeeded in raising the sword of Damocles directly above themselves and parky because a poor start to life in league one will bring the discontent flooding back to all concerned and they will find life a little uncomfortable.

It is a crazy/ballsy risk but one that will hopefully pay off.

Crazy risk in my oppinion. The £700K we are hopefully going to get for Hudson is best used in paying off the manager and drawing up a shortlist for interview. The savings alone on Evian would be worth it.

Yes, we have little money, but this would be a fantastic opportunity for an astute nd capable manager to prove himself. If he is successful and he achievs promotion, the fans will come back, the club's revenue will increase and the funds will free up.

Bottom line is, are there many worse managers than parky? Not many. Are there many better managers than parky, who are available and want the job? Undoubtedly, we just need to start looking now.
  • I think sacking Parky is the bigger risk, it is my opinion that he is an astute and capable manager and given the opportunity can prove it this season.

Now that July is upon us, the current impasse cannot run on any longer - wasting the close season by dangling a manager in limbo is no longer acceptable.

The board either have to give their unequivocal backing to Parky or they need to appoint a proven, credible alternative - so that, in either case, they can have a month to prepare properly and wheel and deal with confidence in the transfer market.
  • I am concerned that privately they have given their support to PP but havn`t deemed it necessary to inform the fans which I think is unacceptable. I agree with Salad that he might be ok but we would do better if we could at this late stage be given the courtesy of being allowed to back him instead of this constant and devisive speculation.
  • Simples aint it:

RM -----------------" Phil Parkinson is our manager, he has a contract til XXXXX and has the full backing and support of the board" -----------------end of.

DC ----------------" Charlton Athletic ? they are a football team ? thought it as a NHS OAPs home i had brought ---------oppppppppppsss"
  • He was astute enough to make Deon Burton his first signing.