Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

As time goes by and by and by

Comments

• NLA the thing is if you owned 100% of a business, your personal bottom line will be a combination of the risks of selling now or holding out, how much liquidity you need now, the potential growth value of the business in the future, how much working capital you need to keep the business afloat.

When there are others who share a significant investment in a business, their bottom line calculations will be based around their own individual circumstances and each reviewing the above categories may come up with a different number.

I suspect that all the directors with significant shareholdings and bond holdings will be facing a major loss of value compared to the extent of their individual investments. Some may not need to liquidate their capital now and can afford to sit things out hoping that either the playing side can be turned around under the current arrangements, (or that a better/bigger offer may come along). Others may have need to cut their losses and liberate their capital now. All of these calculations will need to be based around a cold hard look at ensuring that the club has enough working capital to meet its current and ongoing commitments. My guess is that there is enough WC in the business to survive one season in League One, beyond that either more cuts are needed or more WC secured. That makes the risks of not selling quite daunting but there clearly will be some who will cut deals at a lower price than others.
  • On the one hand I recognise that its very easy to say that somebody who has put in say £5m should now write off £3m for the sake of the club. Which of us really believes we would just do that without a murmur?

On the other hand, any football club director has to recognise that there is no point in them leading a football club unless they have the support (financial and emotional) of the fans. Richad Murray always understood that. I don't think Bob Whitehand understands it, having had some dealings with him. And I have seen or heard nothing to suggest Derek Chappell does either.

So my message to individual directors would be, sure its your money, you do what you want with it. And its our hard earned money and emotional commitment, and based on the available evidence, we too will decide what to do with it.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]. My guess is that there is enough WC in the business to survive one season in League One, beyond that either more cuts are needed or more WC secured.

If there is no takeover then you can start taking bets on the point at which the board tries to sell The Valley to raise working capital, IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]. My guess is that there is enough WC in the business to survive one season in League One, beyond that either more cuts are needed or more WC secured.

If there is no takeover then you can start taking bets on the point at which the board tries to sell The Valley to raise working capital, IMO.

Oh please dont say that - i have a fear now.
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]. My guess is that there is enough WC in the business to survive one season in League One, beyond that either more cuts are needed or more WC secured.

Bloody hell.That really would be full circle.Should never be allowed to happen.
  • TELTEL
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]

[cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]

Now that is scary Rick.....

Heavy comment Airman ... but perhaps not one we are all too surpised about if it did come to that. Let's all hope something is in the offing.
  • We are all living in cloud cuckoo land if we don't face up to the kind of eventuality that Rick is spelling out here.

Somewhere along the line - whether it is among current directors digging their heels in, or whether it is new investors seeing the opportunity to make a fast buck out of a rock-bottom situation - there are now people dictating the future of our football club who do not have the prime interests of that club in their heart.

That saddens me, but above all really scares me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]We are all living in cloud cuckoo land if we don't face up to the kind of eventuality that Rick is spelling out here.

Somewhere along the line - whether it is among current directors digging their heels in, or whether it is new investors seeing the opportunity to make a fast buck out of a rock-bottom situation - there are now people dictating the future of our football club who do not have the prime interests of that club in their heart.

That saddens me, but above all really scares me.

Well put Weegie...........I knew we were in trouble but Airmans comment has scared us all shytless.
  • The Q&A can't come quick enough.....................
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]The Q&A can't come quick enough.....................

I'm guessing,if it does go ahead,they'll be plenty of questions but not too much in the way of answers.
  • it is going ahead....check the OS later today there will be an article on the Q&A
  • Everything is saleable........... at the right price.

I've decided not to go to the Q&A as I fear that there will nothing forthcoming, except being told how much the existing Board have invested in The Club and what appears to be nothing more than optimistic B/S.

If the ground is sold to provide w/c then that is nothing short of scandalous.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]The Q&A can't come quick enough.....................

I'm guessing,if it does go ahead,they'll be plenty of questions but not too much in the way of answers.

plus, who is to say that the answers we get will actually be the truth. They could fob us off with an answer we want to hear to keep us happy but then later kick us in the balls as re Parky.
  • The ground being sold for working capital is one thing. The ground being sold in order to repay director's debt is the one that should really be keeping keeping us awake at night.

Still, all wild speculation.
  • It could happen to any club at any time and I think we, as fans, would be in a better position than most to fight tooth and nail to stop anything on that scale to threaten our future - especially as we have experienced it all before.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]It could happen to any club at any time and I think we, as fans, would be in a better position than most to fight tooth and nail to stop anything on that scale to threaten our future - especially as we have experienced it all before.

Unfortunately times have changed WSS and we'd never be equipped to fight the money men in todays world.Greed is everything i'm afraid
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]it is going ahead....check the OS later today there will be an article on the Q&A

I hope so Tel.Do you know that i get more information about our club from you,a man living 500000 miles away,than i do from the club which is 20 minutes down the road.
    Amazing!
  • Im not in Oz mate at the moment, hence the name change....but Im still further away from the club than you...lol

Thanks for the sideways compliment anyway, some people think I take this FF thing too seriously, but Ive taken on the task and will try and do my best to get answers when people ask me...same can be said for the other members too.
  • In the potentially hostile ? atmosphere of this Q&A session can anyone understand why the big two are agreeing to it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]In the potentially hostile ? atmosphere of this Q&A session can anyone understand why the big two are agreeing to it ?

These blokes are old hands when it comes to this sort of thing. As we know from experience, they give an opening peresentation which covers all the concerns whilst reminding everyone that they are fans and hurting - then they answer a few questions in real general terms telling us what we want to hear. We come away feeling warm and lovely (mainly due to the Stella) and then wake up in the morning felling hungover and totally conned cos the gits have actually told us sweet FA again.

Personally I cant wait - mainly cos of the Stella.
  • I wont be at the Q&A session but after reading this feed would luv to see what the contents of it were will anyone who is going be able to post a copy of it on here WSS i tend to agree with your comment i think we would be in a position to fight tooth and nail for it as we have been through this and worse before. However Carly is also right fans have no voice over money men im affraid. (Bad Times)
  • perhaps they should sell the ground to the local authority so it can be secured for the future, not sure how expansion would work though.
  • edited July 2009
    The Supporters Trust / Pitch Purchase idea is looking like something we need to do to protect The Valley.

The good Airman would not make such a comment lightly.

Ultimately a ground is only safe in the hands of the fans.
  • Greenwich Council ???????????????????? on the one hand i wouldnt trust them faster than i could burn em. Right on PC lefty arse whips-------------but they would hold out on the Valley being used only as a sports ground ----------unless Tescos where about --------or they needed somewhere for the next ethnic juant.

I would see the selling of the name of the Valley coming before we "get in bed with the devil".
  • So I wonder how long before the dreaded Administ..... word gets wheeled out ?
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]In the potentially hostile ? atmosphere of this Q&A session can anyone understand why the big two are agreeing to it ?

These blokes are old hands when it comes to this sort of thing. As we know from experience, they give an opening peresentation which covers all the concerns whilst reminding everyone that they are fans and hurting - then they answer a few questions in real general terms telling us what we want to hear. We come away feeling warm and lovely (mainly due to the Stella) and then wake up in the morning felling hungover and totally conned cos the gits have actually told us sweet FA again.

Will miss the meeting as on holiday, but I am fairly sure that 1905 has got this exactly right and once I am back and get a chance to read what went on, this will more or less be the response.

Is that cynical? Yup, but that's down to the way the club has been recently.
  • So, sell the ground? It was the loss of the Valley, and the fight to return that defines much of what it is to be a Charlton Supporter. If we lose that which we worked so hard to regain, then what will be left? It is the starkest lesson of all from our history, that Charlton Athletic, without the Valley, loses all meaning as our football club. If we have to conserve energies for something, then it will be to use all our wiles to ensure that we never lose the Valley again. Peter Cordwells old Mercury cover, based on the war cartoon, about the fight to get the Valley back, and to not let it go again, should be the cover for the Wycombe Wanderers match programme.
  • edited July 2009
    We've already sold the training ground, the stadium is inevitably next. Presumably it will be sold to some of the directors as per Sparrows Lane. I'd be interested to learn which directors - if any - have links to property firms/developers.
  • Calm down Calm down ! Someone mentions selling the Valley and everyone gets uppity. Lets wait and see what happens. Bloody Hell !