Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 1st April 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town
Saturday 1st April 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Madley

Introduction
Well after two games on the road, I guess its only right that we have back to back games at home - Charlton this Saturday go hunting for just their third win at the Valley in 2023 - Shrewsbury Town the visitors this weekend, with this clash set to be another case of two bald men fighting over a comb, and mid-table bragging rights.

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town (10th) | Manager: Steve Cotterill
Ground: The New Meadow
Previous League Result: Ipswich 2-0 Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury were the talk of the town a few years ago, when in 2017-18 they defied the odds and missed out on promotion to the Championship by one solitary game - Regardless of what happened at Wembley that day, it is still their best ever season in their history and have unsurprisingly been unable to repeat that form since.

Until now that is... Salop have fallen back into mid-table now, but a run of sixs wins on the trot from 14th January until 11th February propelled Shrewsbury from 14th, to 8th, leaving the sole League side from Shropshire just three points off the Play-Offs - The effort seems to have been a bit too much for them, and have dropped away again, picking up just two wins since - Steve Cotterill is of course a Manager who knows what it takes to get out of this Division, his Bristol City side were promoted from this level in 2015, with 99-pts... It appears to be a slow and steady rise for Shrewsbury as they'll surely look once again, to mount another promotion attempt from this tier in the near future.

Charlton Team News
It was a welcome return to see Mandela Egbo in the Charlton line-up when we visited Morecambe a few weeks ago

Unfortunately we've not seen the impressive Right-Back since, making fans wonder if his injury woes had returned - Dean Holden has confirmed otherwise though, a slight twinge in the build up to Wycombe, and the risk wasnt taken... Egbo could once again return to match contention this coming weekend - Both Terrell Thomas and Jojo Wollacott have returned safely from International Duty, despite the latter being attacked by his own goal... You'd expect a pretty unchanged team from recent weeks / performance.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Hector - Inniss - Sessegnon
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Thomas - Egbo - Henry - Payne - Bonne - Kanu

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Would like to see Kanu in place of JRS, and a front three of Academy Products that I think could work well, certainly need to see more of Kanu prior to the season end, also hopefully Egbo gets some game time...could be a good game, if we turn up prepared...
  • Options
    If egbo is fit I'd play him and put clare on the bench and I'd have Blackett Taylor instead of bonne
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    If egbo is fit I'd play him and put clare on the bench and I'd have Blackett Taylor instead of bonne
    Is there a chance he's back from injury then?

Last I heard he was potentially out for the season, so have been automatically leaving him out of my line ups
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Last I heard he was potentially out for the season, so have been automatically leaving him out of my line ups
    Blackett Taylor still injured according to OS preview - hamstring.
  • Options
    ForeverAddickted said:
    lolwray said:

Er sorry yes still injured 
  • Options
    Not a must win anymore.
    A chance to demonstrate some kind of positivity and credibility for the future.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Shrews are having a good season, six points more than us from a game less. a little(ish) club that always gives it a right go .. we are in the same kind of form as them a t m, win here, draw there, lose over there .. it'll be a difficult game and I expect us to win, but not by a lot
  • Options
    Plenty of goals scored from set pieces by Shrewsbury this season which once again last Saturday we was shown up for by Wycombe 
  • Options
    Worth going to this game just cos I still hate the slop after the play off games. Two midtable teams with an eye on the beach, especially with all this rain. 2-1 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    There's always a smaller team that overachieves in L1, this season it's Plymouth, in 2017/18 it was Shrewsbury. If you don't go up, then you get raided for your best players and manager, and have to start again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Plenty of goals scored from set pieces by Shrewsbury this season which once again last Saturday we was shown up for by Wycombe 
    Holden has been talking about our set piece failings.

Holden said: “A lot of the focus last week and this week has been around attacking and defending set-pieces because we have not been good enough on them, the stats tell you that. Why is that? People say ‘do you not work enough on them?’ You go through every goal. At the weekend we didn’t do our job one-v-one marking the header.

But of course that's all Morgan's fault for not blocking the header on the line
  • Options
    There's always a smaller team that overachieves in L1, this season it's Plymouth, in 2017/18 it was Shrewsbury. If you don't go up, then you get raided for your best players and manager, and have to start again.
    Not sure I would ever call Plymouth a smaller  team . Very big fan base and well run club,  just havent reached potential for years but I understand what you mean.
  • Options
    Sean Clare at Right Back……
    MAKE IT STOP.
  • Options
    Buzzing for it , can feel the anticipation in the air 
  • Options
    That's the normal formula, plus you can get promoted and still be raided like 2019
  • Options
    We should be there, so don't hold your breath for a win... 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Now promotion or relegation are out of the question, the game still has interest. It is a good opportunity to stop a team who are strong on set pieces and Kanu has to be introduced at some point. We need the lad to get his frst league goal and then see how he goes from there. In an ideal situation, we get to the end of the season with wetted appetite about a Leaburn, Kanu and Campbell partnership. Ideal being the optimum word.
  • Options
    4 game unbeaten run so far and counting…
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I haven't been a fan of most of Sandgaard's decisions including when he spent money, but I will call the getting Holden to sign a long term contract early a good one. These games are an opportunity for him to really work out how we best get to be where we need to be next season. We need to go into the window knowing what we need and what we plan to do. And that should be what the manager plans not the owner in relation to the playing staff.
  • Options
    If Egbo is fit, I'd like to try Clare attacking midfield position maybe as a sub.
    Hope we score first, not sure we can break them down if they have something to defend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to win a home match sooner rather than later. Another leaburn goal and a clean sheet would do me perfectly.

1-0 Charlton 
  • Options
    Hopefully we will win this one even just to shut up all them moaning Nelly's Ha 
    Going for a good 3-1 win to the mighty CAFC 
    Come On You Reds  B)
  • Options
    COYR
  • Options
    Bloody hell ..  Robert Madley the ref…… every game we get them !! Oh well take a draw 
  • Options
    Bloody hell ..  Robert Madley the ref…… every game we get them !! Oh well take a draw 
    Good ref 
  • Options
    Reffed our Oxford home game and scored 5.84 - there are far worse!
  • Options

Shrewsbury were the talk of the town a few years ago, when in 2017-18 they defied the odds and missed out on promotion to the Championship by one solitary game - Regardless of what happened at Wembley that day, it is still their best ever season in their history and have unsurprisingly been unable to repeat that form since.

Really?
    How do you work that one out?
    How is just missing out on returning to a previously achieved level better than having been there in the first place?
  • Options
    Team and squad as expected 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Team and squad as expected 
    Which is?
  • Options
    Match thread up...