Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonjo turns down Chelsea - The Times

edited August 2009 in Rumours
SHELVEY SNUBS CHELSEA MOVE

Jonjo Shelvey, a 17-year-old midfielder with League One side Charlton Athletic, has rejected a £3.25m move to Premier League Chelsea because he believes it would restrict his development as a player. He would prefer to join West Ham — who cannot afford to meet the transfer fee.

Comments

• Mmmmmm.....the plot thickens.
  • And the price is now £3.25m

Well, it's in a Sunday paper so must be kosher.
  • I wonder how much Jonjo is actually worth, but hope we don't have to find out for a long time!
  • If Fabian Delph is worth 6 mill, then JJ is worth 12 mill. One div higher debut * 2 * 6 =12.
  • Delph has played more games I think and scored more goals.

Leeds say they want £6m. Doesn't mean they will get it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Delph has played more games I think and scored more goals.

Man City are chasing him now so they'll probably get over £10 mill!
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Delph has played more games I think and scored more goals.

Man City are chasing him now so they'll probably get over £10 mill!

true : - )
  • if we sell players like him before the season even begins it really does spell doom.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]if we sell players like him before the season even begins it really does spell doom.

Steady on RU...it's a Sunday paper rumour at this stage....and there's always that talk of the takeover in the background that would encourage him(and one or two others no doubt) to stay 'if and when' it takes place.
  • Fair play to him if it isnt just paper talk and he has turned it down. One of the few positives at the moment is having Jon Jo still with us and I hope we will be in a position so that he can develop with us over the next few years after which ill happily drive him to the hammers myself for showing loyalty that is so rare nowdays.
  • Sponsored links:

• In a few years time though West Ham will be in League One and we'll be defending our Premiership title at the AEG Valley so your car journey won't be necessary...
  • [cite]Posted By: LeaburnForEngland[/cite]In a few years time though West Ham will be in League One and we'll be defending our Premiership title at the AEG Valley so your car journey won't be necessary...

Exactly but after winning everything possible with Charlton including Europe he'll want a new challenge so might go to them to help drag them out of the mire.
  • If true, good on Jonjo for turning them down, it is amazing to find a sensible (and I guess well guided) young footballer today.

It's just a shame our best prospect is a West Ham fan - my dream has long been to buy West Ham and close them down the next day!
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]If true, good on Jonjo for turning them down, it is amazing to find a sensible (and I guess well guided) young footballer today.

It's just a shame our best prospect is a West Ham fan - my dream has long been to buy West Ham and close them down the next day!

Curbs was a hammer and never did us any harm!

Mind you on the other hand Pardew used to mange them...not sure if he ever let on about that though.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]If true, good on Jonjo for turning them down, it is amazing to find a sensible (and I guess well guided) young footballer today.

It's just a shame our best prospect is a West Ham fan - my dream has long been to buy West Ham and close them down the next day![/quote]

Curbs was a hammer and never did us any harm![/quote]

True. Not saying it will do us any harm, and the lad can support who he wishes...just saying that I hate the Hammers!
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]

Mind you on the other hand Pardew used to mange them...not sure if he ever let on about that though.

He manged us too.

Well mangy we were, by the time he was fired.
  • Oh shucks Henry I quite liked my Risdale multiplier.

Whisper it quite quitely but i quite love West Ham, born in Barking and try and go once a season to Upton Park. Like a lot of clubs when we left the Valley we had a good relationship with them. Whether you like them or not they're often great to watch, except when Curbs' managed them...... wait for the verbal attack...
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]If true, good on Jonjo for turning them down, it is amazing to find a sensible (and I guess well guided) young footballer today.

I remember a certain sensible Mr Parker that said he wasn't gonna go to Chelski....

Seem ironic he's now at Worst Ham now...
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Oh shucks Henry I quite liked my Risdale multiplier.

Whisper it quite quitely but i quite love West Ham, born in Barking and try and go once a season to Upton Park. Like a lot of clubs when we left the Valley we had a good relationship with them. Whether you like them or not they're often great to watch, except when Curbs' managed them...... wait for the verbal attack...

Now you see. I was born in Plaistow and have lived a large % of my time so far within brick lobbing distance of the Boleyn Ground and can't stand the chaved up dipsticks and their media chums with their 'We Won the World Cup/Academy/total football', bollox.

Funny how we all see things differently ain't it?
  • Indeed it is BorneoAddick. I still enjoy watching them though!
  • Sponsored links:

• If true, then what a very sensible young man JonJo is. He must have looked at how Chelsea chewed up Scott Parker and spat him out and come to an impressively mature decsion that he was not going to allow them to do the same to him.

But I fear the story only makes it more likely that he will go, to a club who will give a somewhat better stage to his talents than Chelsea...
  • He will go 100%, it is a question of when and for how much. The lad seems bright and one thing is for sure, he is utterly commited to playing every 1st team game if he can. I have seen him subbed close up in the pre-season friendlies and his expression looked frustrated as he clearly wants to be out there doing what he does best. He would get very limited, if any 1st team chances at one of the Prem clubs this season and suspect he knows it. He doesn't come across as a big time charlie and as such probably knows one full season with 30+ games under his belt and maybe a dozen goals/assists would not only up his value, but attract more options at the age of 18! He has many many years of football ahead of him. Hopefully we can enjoy his talents for another season and he can enjoy our appreciation and whole hearted support.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]If true, then what a very sensible young man JonJo is. He must have looked at how Chelsea chewed up Scott Parker and spat him out and come to an impressively mature decsion that he was not going to allow them to do the same to him.

But I fear the story only makes it more likely that he will go, to a club who will give a somewhat better stage to his talents than Chelsea...
    Newcastle....?
  • How I see it.

Jonjo and many others (Bailey etc) will stay if we're competing come January but will leave next summer if we don''t get promoted.
  • where's Uncle when you need him.
  • Jonjo will stay as he will get first team games, next year he will want to prove himself at a higher level, fortunately we will be promoted by then and again he will stay for first team games. In 2 years time he will want Premiership football, fortunately having been promoted again he will stay to get first team games. Then the season after he will want European football.....
  • Regarding JJ being a Hammerite, there was no-one more passionate about West Ham than Konch. Used to sit with his Mum & Dad at reserve away matches a few years back ( yes, then I DID get a life ! ) and they were all committed to the Club whilst obviously supporting their son at Charlton. Said his dream move would be to the Boleyn....

Didn't really work out for him though, did it ?
  • Uncle's hatred of Chelski seems to have done the trick! Well done Unc.
  • Great news, but the saddest bit of the tale is that our players have gone from "the" to "a"
    Jonjo Shelvey, a 17-year-old midfielder
  • I would LOVE Jonjo to stay, but the reality is that - certainly in the absence of any takeover - we will HAVE to sell him just to keep the Club afloat. I'd imagine the current directors have budgeted on this - and indeed the player turning down a deal may not be welcomed in the upper echelons.

I'm still clinging on to the idea that whoever buys him might loan him back to us for a season. Or I'm hoping that these Arab Irish Japanese billionaires hurry up and turn up...