Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Unbeaten run…

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    We were in a historic slump and Jones took us on a near-historic unbeaten run. I struggle to see what there is to complain about. The idea he should accomplish that while playing pretty football is too much for me personally. 
    you mean similar to the run that Appleton had ??????
  • Options
    Portsmouth finished last season DWDDDDWDD

Some of their fans wanted Mousinho out, saying he was a failed experiment and hadn’t improved them enough from what was being served up by the Cowleys.

Haven’t seen similar calls for Jones but I do think there’s too many people unhappy given the trouble we were in. And a lot of draws now doesn’t determine how next season will pan out.
    I'd despair if we got calls for Jones to go... Even at any point next season, unless we're in dire trouble.

Can we not last a full season without changing Manager

A lot of shit embarrasses people on here these days, but the fact we've still to achieve that simple feat for the first time since 2019/20 truly is terrible - No wonder we're not going anywhere the right way fast, when we're unable to have stability in the most important role
  • Options
    edited April 16
    I sort of view it this way. We are not losing and whilst we have played games where we have not been great, nor have the opposition in those. So if you are not losing with what you have, you probably don't need that high a percentage improvement to change draws to wins. So Jones has probably got to improve things by about 5% and we could well be top six and a bit higher for automatics. 

Getting a decent keeper in will have a massive positive impact but a few more goals through the team will make a big difference too. We have a goalscorer who year on year tops the divisional scoring charts already. I am looking at what Jones might need to do and whilst I wouldn't want to suggest what that is exactly, it comes down to whether it is likely he will and I am confident of that if he is backed. That is an if of course as it always has been with us recently. What we can see is that when we win, we are not running away with those games so more goals has to happen and that includes the midfield and defence.
  • Options
    Jones has worked a small miracle in turning, what at I consider at least is a very mediocre bunch of players from being relegation candidates to their true potential in mid table. I have every confidence that given the support he’ll definitely need to take the nucleus of this side onto promotion candidates then he’ll do it. Maybe not next season but within two. We’re a third tier club treading water and he’s exactly the type of manager we need. It’s up to the board now to step up.
  • Options
    let's look at the facts and not get carried away by happy clappy euphoria that we have avoided relegation:

1. Jones record is the same a Appleton's first games but Jones had the advantage of bringing in some new players
    2. The style of football played by Jones is some of the worst seen at the Valley for many years, just hoof it up the field and hope for the best. (sight exaggeration )
    3. The new owners have not invested any new money in new players

From the above what makes you optimists think we shall be in the hunt for promotion next season?

However whatever we all think the pre season will show whether Jones and the owners are serious about positive progress.
    I'm hoping that Jones and the ownership are the real deal and we are pushing fir top two next season. Adkins came in half decent pedigree, fans liked him, had a good end if season was gone by December, Holden came in a questionable pedigree, fans liked him, had a good end of season, avoided relegation flirt, gone by end of January, so next season is by no means guaranteed to be a promotion push. We need investment by owners in players and Jones needs to prove he is the real deal not just someone with lots of enthusiasm and arms waving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing wrong with dirty draws.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Chunes said:
    We were in a historic slump and Jones took us on a near-historic unbeaten run. I struggle to see what there is to complain about. The idea he should accomplish that while playing pretty football is too much for me personally. 
    Is it similar? Appleton went 7 undefeated (and one of those was against an U23's team). Jones has done 13, almost double
  • Options
    edited April 16
    I prefer “ you can’t polish a turd” but Jones has certainly rolled it in glitter
  • Options
    15 feels like a bit of a pathetic all time record unbeaten run, particularly when you consider it Vs our club record and at the time league record run of consecutive WINS was 13!! 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
      What are you on about?
    Appleton lost lots of games. Jones has lost one, and that was the week he came in.

Go and have a lie down.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Chunes said:
    Err no.
    Appleton may well have got us relegated.
    Jones has us unbeaten and producing results that would have us in play off contention.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    A draw is closer to a loss than a win in terms of points. 
    THIS. 👏👏👏👏👏

How many points have Man City & Pompey got on their unbeaten runs compared to ours ?

Yes, Nathan Jones is a saint & out saviour. Yes, in years to.come the West Stand will be named after him. But currently most of the "unbeaten run" have been draws....and a few have been where we have been leading & have then been pegged back. 

So lets not get all high & mighty just because we've not lost in 13. The more important aspect is how many we've not won. 

I would be the first to applaud if the 13 unbeaten were actually 13 straight wins, like in 99/00. 

Now THERE'S something to applaud !
    If it was thirteen one nil wins you’d be the first to say we didn’t score enough.
    It’s funny that the defeat that stopped the 13 win streak was a 1-0 defeat. So, once again, the lack of goals scored by us was the determining factor. 
    Oppo didn’t even have a shot on target. 
  • Options
    edited April 16
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m really sorry I just can not get excited about it. If when Jones joined you said to everyone when Jones joined we would go 13 games unbeaten, with 2 games to go, I and sure most would have thought…… crikey we made the playoffs.

We haven’t even made mid table……. This massive undefeated run has moved us up 4 or 5 places…. 

FFS
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    let's look at the facts and not get carried away by happy clappy euphoria that we have avoided relegation:

1. Jones record is the same a Appleton's first games but Jones had the advantage of bringing in some new players
    2. The style of football played by Jones is some of the worst seen at the Valley for many years, just hoof it up the field and hope for the best. (sight exaggeration )

From the above what makes you optimists think we shall be in the hunt for promotion next season?

However whatever we all think the pre season will show whether Jones and the owners are serious about positive progress.
    I'm hoping that Jones and the ownership are the real deal and we are pushing fir top two next season. Adkins came in half decent pedigree, fans liked him, had a good end if season was gone by December, Holden came in a questionable pedigree, fans liked him, had a good end of season, avoided relegation flirt, gone by end of January, so next season is by no means guaranteed to be a promotion push. We need investment by owners in players and Jones needs to prove he is the real deal not just someone with lots of enthusiasm and arms waving.
    Holden was gone by October wasn’t he?
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Relief is the right word, but an unbeaten run containing lots of draws is nothing to get over excited about. This is our run

DDDWDWWDDDWDD - 4 wins, 9 draws, 21 points

This is Appleton's run for his first 13 games

DWDWDWLLWDDWD - 5 wins, 5 draws, 2 losses, 20 points

So much the same, indeed if you include the Reading defeat in Jones' first game in charge, both managers have the same points total for their first 14 games.

That's a mad stat tbf. Doesn't tell the whole picture obviously, but I remember people telling us to be happy with the Appleton unbeaten run at the time.

Huge rebuild needed this summer. Give Jones the players he needs and we'll challenge next season, I have no doubt. Appleton would have taken us down.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Holden was gone by October wasn’t he?
    August 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Relief is the right word, but an unbeaten run containing lots of draws is nothing to get over excited about. This is our run

DDDWDWWDDDWDD - 4 wins, 9 draws, 21 points

So much the same, indeed if you include the Reading defeat in Jones' first game in charge, both managers have the same points total for their first 14 games.

That's a mad stat tbf. Doesn't tell the whole picture obviously, but I remember people telling us to be happy with the Appleton unbeaten run at the time.

Huge rebuild needed this summer. Give Jones the players he needs and we'll challenge next season, I have no doubt. Appleton would have taken us down.
    It’s easily forgotten that Appleton had a fairly decent start. Seven unbeaten, late comebacks against Stevenage and Blackpool, etc.

It was after the Gillingham FA Cup game where everything went properly down the toilet. Appleton never really recovered from that point.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Can I just say I love the fact that this stream, is really an open discussion, without descending into an argumentative  / knob head abusive stream.

We all want Nathan in charge next season, we just slightly disagree on what he has actually achieved so far,

But, we are all happy, just some happier than others.

• Options
    Portsmouth finished last season DWDDDDWDD

Some of their fans wanted Mousinho out, saying he was a failed experiment and hadn’t improved them enough from what was being served up by the Cowleys.

Haven’t seen similar calls for Jones but I do think there’s too many people unhappy given the trouble we were in. And a lot of draws now doesn’t determine how next season will pan out.
    I'd despair if we got calls for Jones to go... Even at any point next season, unless we're in dire trouble.

Can we not last a full season without changing Manager

A lot of shit embarrasses people on here these days, but the fact we've still to achieve that simple feat for the first time since 2019/20 truly is terrible - No wonder we're not going anywhere the right way fast, when we're unable to have stability in the most important role
    Agree. I’m past caring about anything else be it results, style of play because it’s all short term.

I just want to keep the same manager so much that I couldn’t care particularly who it was. As far as NJ is concerned I’m not creaming myself over him like many people on this desperation forum but if fans like him then all the better because maybe’ just maybe, we may have the simple common sense to just stick with the same guy for a while.

The only statistic that counts is the one that no-one ever bothers to compile and that is ’loyalty to manager v success.’ I’m sure it would show that a sacking culture doesn’t work. You don’t even have to look beyond ourselves to see it.
  • Options
    Jones has worked a small miracle in turning, what at I consider at least is a very mediocre bunch of players from being relegation candidates to their true potential in mid table. I have every confidence that given the support he’ll definitely need to take the nucleus of this side onto promotion candidates then he’ll do it. Maybe not next season but within two. We’re a third tier club treading water and he’s exactly the type of manager we need. It’s up to the board now to step up.
    Small miracle is overstating it. He's done a good job, but I doubt fans of Fleetwood, Port Vale, Cheltenham etc are shocked that we dragged ourselves to safety. It's not like the transformation at Lincoln from strugglers to playoff contenders. 

I was happy Appleton was sacked as clearly it wasn't working by the end, but it's also worth noting that we have a better team than the one Appleton had. Ramsay, Small and Wickham (plus Lualua) have all arrived since he was sacked, and Chuks has (partially) returned from injury.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
      What are you on about?
    Appleton lost lots of games. Jones has lost one, and that was the week he came in.

Go and have a lie down.
    if you bothered to read an earlier comment it showed that Appleton and Jones both had similar success in their initial games - that is to what I was refering

from KillerandFlash's comment

Jones: DDDWDWWDDDWDD - 4 wins, 9 draws, 21 points