Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst ground you've ever been to

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Whats the worst ground you've ever been to (in England I mean - not shitty foreign grounds you may have been to whilst pissed up with your mates abroad)

For me it would have to be Boundary Park - for a number of reasons, including the bogs, the shite weather they always have there, that poxy wind that seems to whip through the whole sodding ground even in the middle of August, the fact that its in Oldham... everything really.

Close second would be Vale Park - I've always hated that shithole and this was cemented by our promotion season - when (as Prince so reliably informs us it 'sometimes does') it contrived to snow in bloody April.

Anyone think of anywhere worse than those?

Comments

• Kenilworth Road, Luton - What a shithole.
    The Den - What a shit ground in a shit area.
    Plough Lane, Wimbledon - Made the old Valley look like the San Siro.
    The Victoria Ground, Stoke City - Felt like you were back in the 1950's, total shithole place as well.
    The Manor Ground, Oxford United - Like an amalgamation of garden sheds in the middle of suburbia.
  • Priestfield by quite some distance.
  • Vicarage Road is a dump IMHO. The pitch is usually a disgrace (advantage Watford?) as Saracens play rugby on it. Anyone see the pitch at Reading last night - again destroyed by rugby (London Irish?)
  • Luton and Oxford's old ground.....absolute dumps the pair of them.

The away end at Fulham takes some beating in the premiership
  • Northamptons old ground only 3 sided
  • Hull City before the new ground...That was bad.
  • The Dell was also a shite hole
  • Oakwell. Sh*thole inside, outside and the city itself.

Shocking that places such as Barnsley exist in this day and age.
  • Sell-out Park, surely?
  • ayresome park - now that was a hole
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]

What about Portsmouth?
  • Roots Hall...I'm sure I was below the level of the pitch looking up the year we were all crammed in behind the goal
  • I think the fulham away end is ok, its a great away day imo.

Plough lane probably ther worst i have been to (although that was watching Millwall away not cafc)

Elm park, craphole too!
  • Funny how results sometimes cloud your memories. Carlisle is a dump along with Jills but one holds good memories and one mostly bad.
  • Ayesome Park, Oakwell, Burnley, Swindon, old-Oxford, Priestfield were / are old dumps, but the honour has to go for Pompey's away end, when taking into consideration this day and age, plus the fact they are a top half prem club.
  • Manor Ground Oxford
    Griffin Park, Brentford (Run down and crumbling)
    Roots Hall Southend in the Seventies (improved since then)
    Priestfield Gillingham in the Seventies (improved since then)
    Cambridge Utd's ground
    Plough Lane Wimbledon - First Division(old)Team, Southern League Ground

Of the bigger grounds

Stamford Bridge in early seventies - 60,000 plus shite hole including the "shed"
  • Priestfield,Oakwell and Park View Road
  • Swindon definitely. Always liked Oxford, definitely been to far worse places. Elm Park was fairly bad, but at least you could get a decent burger!
  • Has to be Luton for me. 1 side is just executive boxes, the first 5-10 rows are below pitch level, and i'm sure the away turnstiles were where they'd knocked out the ground floor of someones house!
  • For me, inorder:

Boro (Ayresome)
    Swindon
    Colchester
    Hudders (Leeds Road)
  • Sponsored links:

• County Ground Swindon, due to getting soacked and Elm Park Reading, because it was a shit ground (no fans, shit ground no fans).
  • In terms of disappointment, the build up to going to Wembley - this stadium I had heard so much about - was completely let down by the soulless patch up job it was. Mind you being surrounded by only about 200 other Charlton fans for a cup final didn't help.
  • Priestfields, Kenilworth Road, Elm Park, Selhurst Park, Underhill, Manor Ground, Roots Hall.

And Premiership wise it has to be Fratton Park
  • Priestfield for me.... a stand made of scaffolding? Nuff said....
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]

What about Portsmouth?

good call....forgot about that one !!
  • White Hart Lane.
    Nightmare to get to.nightmare to get away from, and it stinks.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]White Hart Lane.
    Nightmare to get to.nightmare to get away from, and it stinks.

and there is loads of silly spudz there too!
  • The away end at Everton aint that clever either.Damn them wooden seats,iv still got the bloody splinters.
  • i second cambridge - i remember going there a few years ago...hovel of a ground and ill never forget the four QUALTY signs in each of the corners of the ground...
  • [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]The away end at Everton aint that clever either.Damn them wooden seats,iv still got the bloody splinters.

Like Danny Murphy! lol