Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leon McKENZIE about to sign!

Comments

• Options
    Correct me if im wrong but did he used to play for Darllington.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Correct me if im wrong but did he used to play for Darllington.

Corrected. No see link above. Born Croydon, played for Palace, Peterboro, Norwich and Coventry.

Coventry signed him for £1M in 2006 and he has played in the Prem.

Good signing ? Depends if he's fit and what the fee is. Anyway we need someone if none of the other strikers are likely to play.
  • Options
    I assume he's on a free as he's currently out of contract. At 31 he's worth a punt for a season as long as his wages are t the right level.
  • Options
    A friend who supports Norwich reckons he did well at start for them but lived off a couple of goals against Ipswich in terms of his reputation. However in the topflight he did score a few including one against United and one against Chelsea to break Petr Cechs prem record for mins without conceding (Van Der Sar since beaten the record).
    That same season 04/05 when we beat Norwich 4-0 at Valley, remember McKenzie looking lively and think he had a goal disallowed for offside
    Unrelated but read Iwan Roberts diary of his last season with the Canaries (03/04) and apparantly McKenzie upset him by taking and scoring a pen when Roberts was trying to reach 100 city goals before leaving, this was in a 4-0 away win at Derby.
    Not the most exciting signing and would certainly prefer Dickson to stay but his record in terms of starts to goals is not bad and League 1 should be his level
  • Options
    Parky is being astute in signing the duke as cover for Deon, so long as he stays fit. He will probably be our number 2 forward, whereas Dicko is about 5th at the moment. We'll have to forgive him being a Palarse youth product.
    Only time will tell if letting Dicko go is a blunder....my guess is probably not but I have barely seen him play.
  • Options
    I think the fact that it looks like we are set to sign someone is good news. Hopefully a defender or two will follow!

As for what he is like - we will have to wait and see....
  • Options
    We need cover and neither Fleetwood nor Tuna fill me with comfort if and when Deon gets injured.

Is he better than what we've got? I'd say yes, but given our lack of finances we'll have to take what we can afford and hope for the best. If this rumour is true then at least we'll have some experienced cover.
  • Options
    Any news on his injury?
  • Options
    He's been a revelation so far!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leon McKenzie and Cory Gibbs have never been seen in the same room together ..................... FACT
  • Options
    Hope he is ready for JP as that wil give him a chance to show us what he can do and hopefully force his way into the first tea picture. Burton as been below par in last two and needs a little more competition imo
  • Options
    My son's been at the Training Ground this week and all the boys were promised that a couple of the players would come up and sign anything they cared to offer. Leon turned up with Ben Davisson.

Suppose the rest must be on a training camp somewhere 'cos I'm sure they would have made the effort if they could. It is difficult, however, to explain who the two exactly are and for the kids to relate to two players who have never even started for the Club.

Worst news though is for Leon and Ben and their long term future at the Club. Last year they sent up Moutu and Danny Shittu!
  • Options
    Danny Shittu!
    was he at the club last year??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    Danny Shittu!
    was he at the club last year??

lol Dazzler it was, of course, Linvoy Primus. I knew it was one of our former centre backs!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]My son's been at the Training Ground this week and all the boys were promised that a couple of the players would come up and sign anything they cared to offer. Leon turned up with Ben Davisson.

They're both injured aren't they? I know Davisson got a bad injury which I think was about 2 months ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]My son's been at the Training Ground this week and all the boys were promised that a couple of the players would come up and sign anything they cared to offer. Leon turned up with Ben Davisson.

They're both injured aren't they? I know Davisson got a bad injury which I think was about 2 months ago.

As I say the "fit" squad must be away because they train less than a hundred yards away from the lads and no Club with aspiriations to attract new and loyal fans would short change kids in this way.

It's not as if they're Premiership stars or that we sell out every week is it?

In any event, the old adage "better to undersell and overperform" applies and it would probably have been better for the kids' Coaches to say nothing about the players coming up to sign autographs. There again, they have no control as to who the Management sends up or which of the players are happy to give up 20 minutes of their precious time. If they are "away" perhaps the coaches should have been informed.

Best of intentions but worst of communication and delivery.
  • Options
    To be fair they spend a lot of time signing stuff.

Compared to a lot of teams (like Spurs) where they will only sign (and sell) merchandise. Lots of (mad) people hang about at the players entrance after games and get stuff signed. They'll also sign material that gets sent in (at no cost) and they do a lot of PAs. If you don't feel your boy got treated right then drop the club a line, but they do seem to make a lot of times for this, in my opinion.
  • Options
    The young Addicks event on Tuesday was very good. Loads of time for photos and autographs with Christian and Fraser after the Q & A.

Shelvey and Racon were also in the shop. Randolph wasn't there but I think I can guess why now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]To be fair they spend a lot of time signing stuff.

Compared to a lot of teams (like Spurs) where they will only sign (and sell) merchandise. Lots of (mad) people hang about at the players entrance after games and get stuff signed. They'll also sign material that gets sent in (at no cost) and they do a lot of PAs. If you don't feel your boy got treated right then drop the club a line, but they do seem to make a lot of times for this, in my opinion.

I don't doubt that for one minute McLovin but there was clearly a breakdown in communication here. It was probably as much my disappointment because, when I found out who signed it, I found it extremely difficult to elevate Leon and Ben to my six year old when neither has even played a full game for the Club.

Overall, I certainly don't think my boy badly has been treated badly as the Coaches do their level best to make it an enjoyable event. I suspect that they too were left a bit bemused by who turned up especially when you consider that you have a former favourite of mine like Morts actually coaching them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The young Addicks event on Tuesday was very good. Loads of time for photos and autographs with Christian and Fraser after the Q & A.

Shelvey and Racon were also in the shop. Randolph wasn't there but I think I can guess why now.

Unfortunately Henry my boy couldn't be there because he was at the Charlton weekly course. As Airman has stated on another thread Tuesday's event had to fit in with the Players' diary.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Almost a whole season at the Club and yet to make a start for us. Anyone know whether he signed a one year contract because the way he's going he could become a bigger "legend" than Cory Gibbs.

Difference is though that it was generally well documented that Leon had injury issues as evidenced by the fact that he had started in just 19 League matches (out of a possible 92) and scored just 5 goals in total in his last two seasons at Coventry.
  • Options
    One year deal according to himself
  • Options
    Yes one year deal and was fit for a good period of time after Christmas according to himself. At least unlike Cory he got off the bench and scored for us.

the day he and Akp both cam off the bench ofr us, i thought we had finally splved our striker problems with 4 reasonable strikers, Burton and I think Mooney making way ... how wrong was I.
  • Options
    When he came on against Oldham, thought he would have a big part to play. Likewise after his Saints cameo. Unfortunatly injuries have made him another Cory Gibbs in many ways. Expect him to retire after being releaed at end of season
  • Options
    Is he still injured ?

Is it possible he could play a part in the play offs?

We have two games , if Oldham away means nothing why not use it to see if Leon could be fit to play a cameo ?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    On paper somebody with the quality to do a decent job at this level but a massive gamble fitnesswise which has sadly failed.

I just hope he was on a pay as you play deal.
  • Options
    He was fit for about 3 months when he was on the bench.

Shame he hasn't played more as the few times he's come on he has looked lively and likely to do something
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    latest from today's SLP :

LEON Mckenzie could feature for Charlton again before the end of the season.

The striker, who has yet to start a game this term because of a series of persistent injuries, was in the party which travelled to Exeter on Saturday, though he was not named in the 18-man matchday squad.

Manager Phil Parkinson said: “He’s been in training for a week or so but we won’t rush him back.”

Nope, won't rush him back, wait for another four or five games, that should do it !!
  • Options
    Doesn't he just mean see how he is in another week and maybe have him in the squad for Oldham or the play-off semi final games?

I wouldn't rush him back if there's a chance he'll be that bit fitter for the play-offs