Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pete Doherty

edited March 2009 in Not Sports Related
I know hes off his head n that but saw him last nite n he was fookin quality..shame about the drugs because hes such a talent.

Comments

• Such a talent?

Bag-O-shite more like!
  • Down In Albion is an awsome song.
  • fantastic lyricist
  • thats his problem, babby shambles are a shambles musicaly, he had the right medium in the libbertines with karls music mind and Pete lyrics they could have been massive.. hopefully one day he will sort himself out and get the libertines back together and get back to making awsome tunes.

The+Libertines+-+Best+Of.jpg
  • Saw him on Jonathan Ross on Friday, made sure I actually watched him perform as I have always found him totally crap. But people still rave about him and so I watched with an open mind.
    As far as I could make out he hasn't improved. People go on about him being a poet/fantastic lyricist, I honestly do not see it. It must be an age thing.
  • He is so over rated.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]Such a talent?
    Bag-O-shite more like!
    *nods*
  • Very good
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Down In Albion is an awsome song.
    it is, although I think he wrote it whilst still in the Libertines.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc4life[/cite]about the drugs because hes such a talent.

He wouldn't be such a talent without the drugs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just when you thought he couldnt be anymore of a c**t.

Dirtbag

He really needs to be put down.
  • heard worse at many an england game
  • edited November 2009
    This is a brilliant, and quite sad clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quba72Xli8o

Even nowadays in some interviews you can see that he's intelligent, self-aware and strangely polite; it's just a shame there's only flashes of it amongst all the crap. Some of the Libertines stuff is just superb.
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]thats his problem, babby shambles are a shambles musicaly, he had the right medium in the libbertines with karls music mind and Pete lyrics

I agree with this. The Libertines worked so well because it was Pete's edgy, eccentric nature combined with Karl's great sense of melody. Without Karl, musically (and in fact in his life) he's too off the rails, and has lost whatever whimsical charm he had
  • Was coming in the hope he was found face down in a puddle of his own vomit!

Oh well there's always tomorrow
  • So he sang the verse that the nazis didn't sing?
    What a massive overreaction
    Do you seriously think Peter Doherty is a nazi?
  • Where do you stand on Clapton, Bowie, Morrissey?
  • [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]So he sang the verse that the nazis didn't sing?

I wonder how many people knew that Germans since WWII sing Deutschland uber Alles but omit the first verse? Obviously ValleyGary does, but the rest of you?
  • is it the anthem they sing now?
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]is it the anthem they sing now?

Yes...
  • cheers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do you think pete knew that bfr? Or do you just think he's made a bit of a twat of himself?
  • [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]Do you think pete knew that bfr? Or do you just think he's made a bit of a twat of himself?

Like I said, how many people here know that the first two verses are omitted - I've lived in Germany so I did, but I doubt he did. Most likely he googled the lyrics and learnt them phonetically and therefore didn't know what he was singing - does he speak German?
  • Cool. I totally agree with you! He's made a well intentioned mistake.
    People saying they want him to be face down in his own vomit is well wide of the mark
  • ...but he's still a c**t.
  • It seems ridiculously harsh to me as well.

Have friends and acquaintances that know him and Carl Barat. Most say he can be really genuine and sincere, but then the shizoid shebang comes in and he's completely self-involved, manic and grotbag narcissitic-nhilistic. All too easy to judge others, sure there's despicable things he's done but also he's held improptu gigs for fans who are ill or been unfairly denied entrance to gigs etc etc.
  • Cant trust anyone with dirty fingernails.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]...but he's still a c**t.

Because he has a drug problem? Or another reason?
  • [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]So he sang the verse that the nazis didn't sing?
    No just a massive attention whore, who did it to get into the tabloids which seems to be his favourite place in the whole wide world. Like the way he played the jew card when he realised he may have gone a bit far this time.

It genuinely sickens me that this (very) occasionally brilliant attention whore has manipulated the media in order to get the attention he craves and is now mentioned in the same breath by youngsters without long musical backgrounds believe that he operates in the same space as torchered bona fide geniuses like Dee Dee, Thunders and Strummer, who managed to have an overdose without ensuring the paps were there to tut about it.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]

It genuinely sickens me that this (very) occasionally brilliant attention whore has manipulated the media in order to get the attention he craves and is now mentioned in the same breath by youngsters without long musical backgrounds believe that he operates in the same space as torchered bona fide geniuses like Dee Dee, Thunders and Strummer, who managed to have an overdose without ensuring the paps were there to tut about it.

Do you really think one celebrity has the power to 'manipulate the media' - themselves the masters of manipulation? If you genuinely think so then he deserves your reverence for that reason alone.

I think the fact that those past greats managed to 'have an overdose without ensuring the paps were there' has more to do with the state of the media today, rather than how one guy uses them. You think they used to receive as much attention, and that the status of celebrity was as high, and celebrity media was as popular or as widespread back then?

I always think it's the ones who claim that people manipulate the media, that are actually being manipulated by the media themselves.
  • I always think it's the ones who claim that people manipulate the media, that are actually being manipulated by the media themselves.

I think there's some validity in both arguments, however I genuinely think he was having a Spinal Tap moment in this case, as I say upthread how many people know that post WWII that Germany dropped the first two verses of their national anthem? That no-one has come back to say they did suggests that it simply isn't a well known fact and if a cross section of people here don't know then how can a drug addled pop star be expected to know? Even if you read the words in English you'd be hard pressed to recognise why they don't sing the first verse. Plus I hate these kind of shock-horror you'll never guess what X has done type now stories. He's a pop star with a drugs problem and a talent for creating cheap stories in tabloid newspapers so easily offended people can act as though they are shocked. Looks like mission accomplished.