Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wolves team last night

How would you guys feel if a Charlton Manager pulled a stunt like that?

Personally think McCarthy should get fined for that. Can see his argument (not that I agree with it) but to be so obvious and change 10 players is just taking the piss. Ironic that they fell into bottom 3 as a result and now hope they get done by Burnley at the weekend.

Comments

• 3-0 would be a good result for us at Old Trafford.
  • i like his thinking, it's a bit different from the norm ......
    why lose 3-0 at old trafford when in this league we have the great pleasure of winning 2-1 at stockport .... oh we're so lucky
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i like his thinking, it's a bit different from the norm ......
    why lose 3-0 at old trafford when in this league we have the great pleasure of winning 2-1 at stockport .... oh we're so lucky

If only we were as good as Torquay :-)
  • Hope they get stuffed against Burnley now
  • at £42 a pop I'd be a bit hacked off if I was a Wolves fan there last night

can see where McCarthy was coming from United are almost a bit of a shambles at the moment and last night was probably the best chance Wolves would have had of getting something from a game there

the season West Brom stayed up by a point they drew at Old Trafford
  • on the fence on this one.......In one way I admire McArthy for doing it - rest your better players for the game you have a chance of winning (Burnley) and play the remainder in a game you would be happy to come away with a 2-0 defeat. The players that did play last night are all squad players, not youth or reserves.

then again, if I was one of the fans up there watching it I may have been a bit miffed paying to watch the second string instead of the "stars"
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]How would you guys feel if a Charlton Manager pulled a stunt like that?

Personally think McCarthy should get fined for that. Can see his argument (not that I agree with it) but to be so obvious and change 10 players is just taking the piss. Ironic that they fell into bottom 3 as a result and now hope they get done by Burnley at the weekend.

Why should he be fined? I'm pretty sure he's not out to get Wolves relegated and it's not as if his weakened team affected any other teams. In all likelihood his best team would still have lost last night so why not rest them and have a fresh team for the 6 pointer with Burnley.
    That said i still wouldn't be happy if i'd paid £42. I remember OT used to be one of the cheaper grounds to go to, looks like the Glazers put paid to that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]How would you guys feel if a Charlton Manager pulled a stunt like that?

Why should he be fined? I'm pretty sure he's not out to get Wolves relegated and it's not as if his weakened team affected any other teams. In all likelihood his best team would still have lost last night so why not rest them and have a fresh team for the 6 pointer with Burnley.
    That said i still wouldn't be happy if i'd paid £42. I remember OT used to be one of the cheaper grounds to go to, looks like the Glazers put paid to that.

Bringing the game into disrepute? 10 changes is taking the piss and who is to say if their full team wouldn't of got something on the night. United aren't exactly firing on all cylinders and not many expected Wolves to get anything at Spurs. If I were a Chelsea, Arsenal or particularly a Spurs fan I wouldn't be very happy.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]How would you guys feel if a Charlton Manager pulled a stunt like that?

Bringing the game into disrepute? 10 changes is taking the piss and who is to say if their full team wouldn't of got something on the night. United aren't exactly firing on all cylinders and not many expected Wolves to get anything at Spurs. If I were a Chelsea, Arsenal or particularly a Spurs fan I wouldn't be very happy.

Did Alex Ferguson get fined for fielding a weakened team when they lost 1-0 to West Ham when West ham stayed up?
    And did Benitez get fined when Liverpool fielded a weakened team away to Fulham? They lost and Fulham stayed up.
    Those results affected other teams, last nights didn't so there's no way he will be fined.
  • When one of the big four field a bunch of reserves during a game against a rival relegation team of Wolves towards the end of the season I hope he doesn`t complain.
  • Sponsored links:

• well, his first pick lost 4-0 at Chelsea the other night and I reckon they would have suffered the same defeat last night as the ressies did. I think he was right. A sending off, a couple of injuries, maybe a couple of suspensions to key players in a game you did'nt have a hope of winning so why risk them ? Their big games are the Burnley's and Bolton's not Utd, Chelsea etc. Okay the fans may moan but if they had lost a couple of key players through injuries they would have screamed that why didn't he rest them. Also those that played would have bust a gut to force there way into 1st team reckoning. His job is to keep Wolves up. If that is best served by doing what he did then that is his business and no body elses.
  • Read a good article about it here

"...if McCarthy only wants to play sides he thinks he can beat, let’s hope he gets his wish and they get relegated. Then he would not have to worry about trips to Old Trafford and struggling superpowers."

Agree with this point, although not the entire article. What is the point in Wolves playing in the Premiership if they're not going to try and take points from every game. McCarthy sent his side out to lose. This is the weakest Utd side to have played in the Premier League in a long time and they've have hardly been at their best lately and have already lost to Burnley (albeit away) who Wolves will play this weekend and Villa on Saturday. Clearly, this is not the first time something like this has happened, Ferguson himself did it last season, Bryan Robson did it when he was at WBA and Benitez fielded an under strength team two seasons ago against Fulham, which Warnock is still going on about. Wolves should not been punished. Once again a football club has undermined the loose rules of the Premier League and the FA. It is their fault that the rule is not stringent enough and if they are to be consistent they should not punish Wolves or McCarthy as Ferguson, Robson and Benitez were not punished and the rules have not been changed since. The governing bodies need to change the rules from next season onwards so they are strict and coherent.
  • Curbs used to say back in our Prem days ....... win the games against the teams that would struggle, ensure you got the points and they didn't.

That way you'd always be healthily above the relegation pack.

Picking up points from top 6 clubs was a bonus - it was great to get the result, and the buzz was there amongst supporters and at the training ground all week. But Curbs always aimed first to get good results from the struggling teams.

Well, the way I see it, McCarthy is only doing the same thing. If he can get Wolves to beat Burnley at the weekend, that's 3 points Burnley can't get and Wolves go above Burnley in the table.

Survival is his only priority.
  • He broke the rules......end of.
  • What rules .....?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Curbs used to say back in our Prem days ....... win the games against the teams that would struggle, ensure you got the points and they didn't.

That way you'd always be healthily above the relegation pack.

Picking up points from top 6 clubs was a bonus - it was great to get the result, and the buzz was there amongst supporters and at the training ground all week. But Curbs always aimed first to get good results from the struggling teams.

Well, the way I see it, McCarthy is only doing the same thing. If he can get Wolves to beat Burnley at the weekend, that's 3 points Burnley can't get and Wolves go above Burnley in the table.

Survival is his only priority.

Curbs also beat Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool whilst he was in charge of us and then beat Utd twice with West Ham. I can't recall him ever sending out a reserve side, knowing they would lose, and not caring they would lose either - except in the league cup of course ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]What rules .....?

Premier league rules state a manager must pick the strongest side available or at least its something like that.
  • edited December 2009

It's always the case when a bottom 4 side play a top 4 side that in all likelihood they will lose, but I would hate seeing the lower clubs fielding weaker teams to seemingly just get the fixture out of the way. We don't want to see sides effectively surrendering the match before kick-off - it discredits the integrity and excitement of a league that Wolves have a duty to respect. It's a difficult one, but I think this sort of thing should be discouraged in order not to set a dangerous precedent.

If it were Charlton, for me it would raise the question of what exactly we were there for. Is it just survival through churning out wins against Burnley and Stoke? Or should a part of it be the chance to go toe-to-toe with some of the biggest clubs in the world. United had injuries and haven't exactly been imperious lately, and to go there and try and nick a point is what football's all about, and something that would have lived long in the memory of the travelling Wolves support.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]What rules .....?

Premier league rules state a manager must pick the strongest side available or at least its something like that.

Premier League rule 20, section E, says teams must field a full-strength side in all top-flight matches.
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]

Premier League rule 20, section E, says teams must field a full-strength side in all top-flight matches.

Has anyone shown this to Rafa Benitez?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]

Thanks Plaaayer
  • edited December 2009
    Were all his players last night first team squad members???

Yes then he has broken no rule,

Premier league rule 20 is about as enforcable as a murderer getting a full life sentence it wil never happen
  • If this 'rule' was actually intended by the FA to have any effect, there would be numerous managers and clubs constantly in trouble. I went and saw West Ham play Pompey early 2006- West Ham had a quarter final coming up, whilst Pompeys amazing escape had just begun. West Ham essentially played a reserve side- Jimmy Walker was in goal, I think Carl Fletcher started as did a striker called Katan (A Pardew 4million signing lol) and they got a thrashing from Pompey- Todorov scored the 4th for the away side! In the West Ham end, understandably the locals were pretty pissed at the selection as I am sure so were WBA/Brum who were relegated at expense of Pompey.

My point is therefore that this happens every season and there is nothing that can be done, McCarthy I am sure could have got away with it is he only rested 4-5 rather than 10. Nothing will be done and I am sure come April/May, there will be more occassions when teams with FA Cup/ChampLeague ambitions wil do the same.

Also in May 2007, we played a Liverpool side at Anfield that was not the strongest due to Champ League, would we have moaned if we had anything riding on that game and we arrived to see a Liverpool missing the likes of Gerrard, Carra and Reina?
  • Agree that rule is almost worthless but as I stated earlier I hope McCarthy doesn`t complain when Man Utd field a weakened side versus eg Portsmouth or West Ham at seasons run in.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Were all his players last night first team squad members???

Premier league rule 20 is about as enforcable as a murderer getting a full life sentence it wil never happen

Exactly. At the start of a season each team has to register a squad with the Premier league. Therefore surely McCarthy can use any of his squad in any game he chooses.
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Were all his players last night first team squad members???

Exactly. At the start of a season each team has to register a squad with the Premier league. Therefore surely McCarthy can use any of his squad in any game he chooses.

Errrrrr. No he can`t. See Plaaayers post above
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Were all his players last night first team squad members???

Well, no he can't, because of that rule mentioned above.

The rule is a stupid one, and it has been broken numerous times before, but that doesn't mean you can argue he didn't break any rules. Because he has. By definition your 'strongest' team must include playing your best players in each position to form it.

All he needs to do is say they had fatigue from saturdays game. That rule is not worth a carrot.

Yes i saw his post and i know the rule but it has never, and will never happen. Teams rest players all the time.
  • The main point is that there is taking the piss and taking the piss. I appreciate this type of thing has happened before but I think McCarthy overstepped the mark by changing 10 players (squad players or not). Never was that bright our Mick.

Hopefully this will give the Premier League the opportunity to put a stop to this type of thing. However as we all know there is one rule for the elite clubs and another for the rest.