Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone else Applied for an id card yet?

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
Just sent off for my application. Certainly going to make my life a bit easier.

Comments

• How so?
  • Do we have to have one? and more importantly, does it cost money?!
  • Don't have to have one. Cheaper than a passport.

I spend a lot of time in mainland Europe. Pain carrying my passport around all the time as id.
  • Do you live in the North West of England then?
  • does the i.d. card replace the passport or are you paying for both?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Pain carrying my passport around all the time as id.
    How much lighter is the id card than the passport?
  • edited January 2010
    Yes, live in North West.

Got both at the moment. (or will have). Useful if one or other gets nicked.
  • As you live in the North West, is it not highly likely that both will get nicked?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Pain carrying my passport around all the time as id.
    How much lighter is the id card than the passport?

Fits in my wallet.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]As you live in the North West, is it not highly likely that both will get nicked?

Cuts down the odds :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Useful if one or other gets nicked.

have you had many problems with them being nicked before?
  • You STILL need to take your passport with you to Europe (or anywhere else come to that) because you'll need it to re-enter The UK. Strangely if you leave The UK on a channel ferry/foot passenger or in a car for example you don't get asked to produce your passport....however you have to produce it upon your return. At airports and The Channel Tunnel they want to see it on your outward journey as well.
    ID cards....you won't get me carrying one....EVER...complete con!!
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Useful if one or other gets nicked.

Seen plenty of cases (people at the airport with temporary arrangments via the local Embassy). Lived and worked in a number of European countries in recent years. They all have id cards. Just makes things easier all round.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]

Seen plenty of cases (people at the airport with temporary arrangments via the local Embassy). Lived and worked in a number of European countries in recent years. They all have id cards. Just makes things easier all round.

What would be easier would be to get all of them to convert to our system...i.e. don't have them.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]You STILL need to take your passport with you to Europe (or anywhere else come to that) because you'll need it to re-enter The UK. Strangely if you leave The UK on a channel ferry/foot passenger or in a car for example you don't get asked to produce your passport....however you have to produce it upon your return. At airports and The Channel Tunnel they want to see it on your outward journey as well.
    ID cards....you won't get me carrying one....EVER...complete con!!

Understand there have been a few teething problems (still early days) and obviously they are not for everyone but......
  • Chaz me old mate, I've managed without one for 62 years I aint gonna want one now am I?
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]

What would be easier would be to get all of them to convert to our system...i.e. don't have them.

Just an extension of your driving licence really.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]

Just an extension of your driving licence really.

Oh really Chaz....I don't think so mate...I don't think so!!
  • Like I say SoundAs, not for everyone but will make my life easier.
  • I've travelled extensively all over Europe for decades and never once been asked for ID other than when I check into a hotel....exactly who is it that keeps asking you for ID to the point that it bothers you so much that you're going to get a card....I don't know anyone else who has this problem either, so I can't quite fathom out how having one will make life easier for you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Always said I'D (ha !) carry one if they were free.
    Won't pay for 1.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I've travelled extensively all over Europe for decades and never once been asked for ID other than when I check into a hotel....exactly who is it that keeps asking you for ID to the point that it bothers you so much that you're going to get a card....I don't know anyone else who has this problem either, so I can't quite fathom out how having one will make life easier for you?

I've got a house in Spain, got a Spanish Bank account, do a bit of business there etc. Find it useful to have id. Also back up if I were to mislay passport.
  • Mmmmmm, well Chaz I've a few English pals and family who live in Spain and none of them have ID's, certainly not my relatives anyway.
  • edited January 2010
    I find this nonsense about id card's a complete waste of time.
    Exactly who are 'they' trying to identify, the 2 million illegal immigrants that have come over here to earn a living!, or is it the middle class 3rd generation immigrants who have discoverd there culture! might be a clue there MI5!....

Just been out with my lads in that 'terrorist hot spot' Bexley village and been asked by the barman for evidence to state you are over 21 (by the barman at least 20)..... although they claim under 25 on the door .

What about challenge under '55' because most of the people that were in there looked 'dodgey to me.'...and they were certainly not ' local'. i.e lived in the village....
    Thank god for measures like this we can all sleep in our beds at night.

Remember the old British passport...... 'let the holder be allowed to without hinderence be allowed to'. not in UK 2010......
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Mmmmmm, well Chaz I've a few English pals and family who live in Spain and none of them have ID's, certainly not my relatives anyway.

Will depend on their status. If they are formal residents then they should have! Like I say I don't have a problem with it. I had id cards when I lived/worked in Hungary & Bulgaria. Made life a lot easier. Even in the 'land of the free' they have id cards!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Even in the 'land of the free' they have id cards!

do you mean usa? wiki link
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Even in the 'land of the free' they have id cards!

do you mean usa?wiki link

Ok my mistake no 'national' id. Always been aware during my visits that everyone seems to carry id. Must be local/state or drivers licence.

Like I say it is something I will find useful but not for all clearly!
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]I find this nonsense about id card's a complete waste of time.
    Exactly who are 'they' trying to identify, the 2 million illegal immigrants that have come over here to earn a living!, or is it the middle class 3rd generation immigrants who have discoverd there culture! might be a clue there MI5!

Ha! Not even the Mail quotes that figure.
  • Would I be right in saying that all members of the labour party have been asked to get an I'd card to encourage the plebs to see the error of their ways? Would you be a card carrying member çhavz or just a supporter? I seem to remember the blue party telling us the same years ago, ' you only need the I'd style driving licence and you can travel the world, call me cynical, but you can't even travel the uk without the paper licence, well you çan travel, but you still need that bit of paper, unless you don't have a driving licence, passport or I'd, in which case you will be called naughty and sent home (home in the uk that is, heaven forbid that we should dream of kicking out anyone who has broken our laws).
  • [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Would I be right in saying that all members of the labour party have been asked to get an I'd card to encourage the plebs to see the error of their ways? Would you be a card carrying member çhavz or just a supporter? I seem to remember the blue party telling us the same years ago, ' you only need the I'd style driving licence and you can travel the world, call me cynical, but you can't even travel the uk without the paper licence, well you çan travel, but you still need that bit of paper, unless you don't have a driving licence, passport or I'd, in which case you will be called naughty and sent home (home in the uk that is, heaven forbid that we should dream of kicking out anyone who has broken our laws).

Simple answer: No.