Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thiery Racon???

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
Back of the newshopper last night.

Is he becoming a forgotten player. For my money he (playing alongside shelvey) was one of the catalysts to our season.

I think the time is right to bring him bac ino the fold and bring some much needed creativity to the side.

Just my 2 penneth

Comments

• Hopefully this stint on the sidelines will fire him up......I really like him too, think he is probably the most gifted player at the club
  • As ever when charlton are on the telly I told my dad to watch (see what he's missing). 2 comments came forth.

You need a creative midfeilder with a bit of creativity.

You need another winger

I think TR fits the bill for the first point.
  • I think Parky panicked too much after the oldham game when he first switched to the 4-4-2. maybe it's time to go back to 4-5-1 and take some pressure off Bailey and Shelvey and bring Racon back into the team
  • I don't get to see many matches but the Orient match cried out for someone who could put his foot on the ball, think and lay off a good pass,to me Racon fits that bill. Bailey is good in his own way and we need his rushing blood and guts approach but we also need Racon's football nouse.
    Maybe RR is right and the only way to accommodate them all is 4-5-1.
  • Think we are more likely to see him reintroduced in the 3 away games coming up where I can see us going back to 4-5-1.

Though Parky will probably put Spring ahead of him!

Definitely time for him to come back in the side though
  • Love to see him back, missed him bigtime. But if he won't play in the position that Parky has asked him to, what's Parky supposed to do?
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Think we are more likely to see him reintroduced in the 3 away games coming up where I can see us going back to 4-5-1.

Parky wouldn't start Spring and Semedo (well I hope not). Going back to 451 is probably Racon's best chance of starting a game (except injuries/suspensions obviously)
  • Parky has got to swallow his pride and get Therry Racon back in the side after Mondays debacle.
    Jonjo may be a good prospect but his inexperience was shown up big time.
    We also need to stop hoofing it up at every opportunity.
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Hopefully this stint on the sidelines will fire him up......I really like him too, think he is probably the most gifted player at the club

Agree with Tel.
  • Agree with Tel

+1

When hes on the pitch you can at least have the hope that something out of the ordinary may happen.

I could see him play well with Mooney.

When Mooney first started he was making runs into space all the time that no one seemed to see. Now he's settled into the straight chanel running of the rest of the team and weve come to a bit of a standstill breaking down defences. Racons vision / skill and mooneys (early CAFC) runs would work really well. This might not fit too well with the workmanlike style weve come to rely on over the last few games though.

Come on Parky get him back in the starting 11.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Think we are more likely to see him reintroduced in the 3 away games coming up where I can see us going back to 4-5-1.

Parky wouldn't start Spring and Semedo (well I hope not). Going back to 451 is probably Racon's best chance of starting a game (except injuries/suspensions obviously)

Yeh it must be that or playing him on the left, I can't see any other options. We can't drop any of Bailey, Sam or Semedo
  • [cite]Posted By: Lardy[/cite]As ever when charlton are on the telly I told my dad to watch (see what he's missing). 2 comments came forth.

You need a creative midfeilder with a bit of creativity.

You need another winger

I think TR fits the bill for the first point.

I think your Dad should be on Soccer Saturday with analysis like that
  • edited January 2010
    Burton and Shelvey play better in a 4-5-1 as well and Bailey had a good goals to game record out on the left. It would also give us something different on each flank taking some of the responsibility and pressure off of Lloyd Sam. I would say it's certainly worth a go, considering we beat Tranmere 4-0 away with a 4-5-1. If it didn't work out it would be easy to change too. e.g. Racon and/or Shelvey off for Mooney and Wagstaff.
  • I just feel it gets us playing football through the midfield and on the floor as opposed to the long hi ball. No one is expecting us to go back to that system so they wont be set up to counteract it. We have some good footballers at this club but we need the ball played on the floor to feet to get the best out of them. Lets go back to passing our way up the pitch and around teams.....Its what we are good at
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I just feel it gets us playing football through the midfield and on the floor as opposed to the long hi ball. No one is expecting us to go back to that system so they wont be set up to counteract it. We have some good footballers at this club but we need the ball played on the floor to feet to get the best out of them. Lets go back to passing our way up the pitch and around teams.....Its what we are good at

Totally agree. It also allows Shelvey and Racon to switch to each flank and support the wide players. The football we played at the beginning of the season was brilliant at times, especially at home to Brentford. The sooner Youga gets back up the left flank the better too.
  • But everyone was moaning that we were only playing 1 up front as soon as we drew a game...
  • Do we need 451 to force the defence and Elliot to pass the ball out? Shouldn't they be capable of it in any formation?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]But everyone was moaning that we were only playing 1 up front as soon as we drew a game...

I wasn't! Plus everyone's moaning as soon as we've lost a game with the 4-4-2! What tactical experts we all are! I think it's a very good system and it allows Burton to become a more central figure, scoring goals and bringing the best out of Shelvey who he has an excellent understanding with. It also allows Bailey to knock some decent crosses in from wider areas rather than straight up the middle of the pitch from deep - quarter back style - like he's been doing lately. With Racon as the extra man in midfield it would allow Bailey and Jonjo to get further forward and bring different aspects to our play as I think it's becoming a bit predictable lately.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]But everyone was moaning that we were only playing 1 up front as soon as we drew a game...

you beat me to it WSS!!

people are complaining saying we were playing great football earlier in the season, passing it around and looking really good, which was true but the reason was because we had the extra man in the midfield areas

as soon as we went one home game where we didn't score three goals at least we got the usual we want 4-4-2 tirades on here and at the games

unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it

if it was up to me, we'd play 4-4-2 at home to Tranny on Saturday then look at switching back to 4-5-1 for the upcoming away games
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    Yeh it must be that or playing him on the left, I can't see any other options. We can't drop any of Bailey, Sam or Semedo

I think you could drop Semedo - especially at home. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Semedo fan and I've liked him since his first game for us, but when a team comes to the Valley to stop us playing - do we really need him? There are times when having Racon breaking through the middle with the ball at his feet and making runs into the channels to draw defenders away from the middle would be far more use to us than having Jose sitting back ready to break up the play.

Jose would be the first name on the team sheet when Norwich come to town, but home to Tranmere? I'd like to think we could sacrafice the defensive stability for a bit more forward impertus.

We would need to be more disciplined as a unit though - whoever played left midfield would need to stick to the team shape and help protect the full back better than Jonjo did on Monday because Jose wouldn't be there to help plug any gaps.

Anyone know if Youga might be available? I'd have Basey up on the left of midfield if he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bring back my boy !!!
  • edited January 2010
    Racon had a great beggining of the season to help Charlton get their promotion ways started. As the season went on, Racon fell out of favor with PP because of poor attitude and not working hard enough in training. PP is still not happy with Racons progress but i think Theirry Racon is one of those footballers that can be classified as a "gamer" - What i mean by "gamer", is Racon brings his best to the game in a live game situation. "Gamers" dig for something deeper in the heat of the moment and thrive off of the live game. Racon in training is not a Racon in matchday form. I say " bring Racon back and drop Shelvey to bench" for Saturdays game vs Tranmere.
  • Bringing home the Racon .....?
  • We missed him today defiently.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I just feel it gets us playing football through the midfield and on the floor as opposed to the long hi ball. No one is expecting us to go back to that system so they wont be set up to counteract it. We have some good footballers at this club but we need the ball played on the floor to feet to get the best out of them. Lets go back to passing our way up the pitch and around teams.....Its what we are good at

Thats exactly it uncle, noone is expecting it, so why not even mix it up in the same game if needs be.
    He only has to change maybe one player to accomodate both systems, so come on PP, be bold.
    If it's not working change it around, you have the players to do it.
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I just feel it gets us playing football through the midfield and on the floor as opposed to the long hi ball. No one is expecting us to go back to that system so they wont be set up to counteract it. We have some good footballers at this club but we need the ball played on the floor to feet to get the best out of them. Lets go back to passing our way up the pitch and around teams.....Its what we are good at

Agree 100% Uncle but Parky seems to have opted for 4-4-2 with two wingers as his plan A. Frankly we should be able to mix it and set up with either then switch during games. Yesterday after the poor performances against Hartlepool and Orient I definitely would have changed it.
  • Him and Shelvey are the two best footballers at the club by quite a distance, the fact hes not getting a look in when weve been producing utterly uninspired performances is worrying imo.
  • [cite]Posted By: Se12Addick[/cite]Him and Shelvey are the two best footballers at the club by quite a distance, the fact hes not getting a look in when weve been producing utterly uninspired performances is worrying imo.
    I think it's down to him not wanting to play on the left, Parky giving Mooney and Burton a chance to play together which also means we keep 4-4-2. If we go back to 4-5-1 there's room for one of them, but which one?
  • About time him and or Parky got over that. He certainly gives us more going forward than Semedo. I know Jose's been brilliant before anyone points it out to me, but might be worth sacrificing a bit of grit for a bit of flair.
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Parky seems to have opted for 4-4-2 with two wingers as his plan A.

He could still play 2 wingers in a 4-5-1, with 3 in centremid - which on the break turns into 4-3-3