Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Away Day - Swindon

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
I know there have been other threads mentioning tickets etc for the game on 6th Feb but thought id start a new thread. Sink if you must, but just really excited about this for some reason.

Just booked for me and 6 mates. Getting the 10:15 from Paddington, staying overnight in the Travelodge and matchday tickets....all in £60!...Bargain. Cant wait as when we stay over places its usually a great piss up.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/swindon_town/

Just seeing who is going and where people plan on drinking before/after? anyone been before and any recommendations?...never had the pleasure of meeting anyone on CL yet so be good to put some faces to names!

Comments

• Am getting the 11.00 train from Paddington. Keen to find a decent local boozer there.

Should be a nice little away day.
  • Getting the 12:15 from Paddington, gets to Swindon at 1:15, from about 1:30 onwards I'll be in the Merlin pub near the magic roundabout.
  • I might do it, as I've been fecked off with Brizzle Rovers.

I'll count my notes.
  • Getting that 11 o'clocker with Murph, what boozer do people recommend?
  • Early morning train down from Sheffield, leaving before 9 in there for 12.30ish
  • The Glue Pot is a good little place to go to before the game.
    They sell some really powerful homemade brew.
    And its not that far from the ground if i remember correctly.
  • How many we sold Airman?
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Getting that 11 o'clocker with Murph, what boozer do people recommend?

The one on the roundabout.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Getting that 11 o'clocker with Murph, what boozer do people recommend?

The one on the roundabout.

Is that the Merlin?
  • Yeah it is. I'll be there.

Airman???
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know how many we've sold?
  • I'm there - but with my boy and father in law - good news is, haven't seen us lose away this season ....

Albeit only been to three away games ....
  • Had this penciled in when Rovers got moved but now working in Lisbon this weekend. Will probably go see Sporting as they're at home Saturday evening which is handy.
  • have we sold many for this one?
  • Well they havent given us the open end yet so under 1000 I would say.

This is a huge game for us, i hope a few more people get the urge befoore Saturday
  • I got the urge.
  • ''Despite alcohol being served in the ground, there are those that will fancy finding a pub and while Swindon fans on the whole are OK, I have known some 'liveliness' in the past, so for that reason it is best to avoid the County Hotel. Similarly, if coming from the station, when walking along the main drag (Manchester Road) having turned left out of the station, it is best not to draw more attention than is necessary.''

Shit, i was gonna wear my full away strip. With shin pads.
  • hmmm may think of going last minute, will check with my cuz to see if he is free! will let you know if i do, always good to meet a few lifers
  • Sponsored links:

• damn just found out have snooker tourney saturday so cant do......im gutted started getting all excited aswell!!!!
  • Coming from Merthyr Tydfil with 1965jr in tow.
  • 2 coming from Faversham with caravan in tow, but thought we'd best park it on a campsite first.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]it is best not to draw more attention than is necessary.''

Definitely ..... best not to wear anything red - in case Swindon fans get confused.
  • [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]2 coming from Faversham with caravan in tow, but thought we'd best park it on a campsite first.

:-)

Hows things ?
  • Apologies for sounding like OohAahMortimer and trotting out the same old tired stuff about our away support. However, just been on the phone to box office who tell me we've only sold 900 for tomorrow. Hopefully a couple of hundred extra will turn up on the day, but even so this seems remarkably poor to me. 3 games without a win and the football's been a bit ropey the last couple of weeks, but we've not been playing "Total Football" all season, just grinding out results.

It's a relatively local game against a side in the top six, we're 3rd in the table and have lost 3 games all season. They must have brought around 900 to us and they only get 7k at home games. Should be taking 2k to these games easily - have we got the most fickle support in the country?!
  • yep poor again but we are used to it now...
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Apologies for sounding like OohAahMortimer and trotting out the same old tired stuff about our away support. However, just been on the phone to box office who tell me we've only sold 900 for tomorrow. Hopefully a couple of hundred extra will turn up on the day, but even so this seems remarkably poor to me. 3 games without a win and the football's been a bit ropey the last couple of weeks, but we've not been playing "Total Football" all season, just grinding out results.

It's a relatively local game against a side in the top six, we're 3rd in the table and have lost 3 games all season. They must have brought around 900 to us and they only get 7k at home games. Should be taking 2k to these games easily - have we got the most fickle support in the country?!

Its hard to get to games sometimes! eg. i would have gone tomorrow but have a snooker tournement so cant!

As for our away support im sure we are in top 3 for amounts averaged away this season? not bad for a team in Div 3, league 2, also as others have pointed out we aren't a once city club as there are a few in our area. give it a break mate seriously as much as we would all like to sell out every home & away its not going to happen even with top sides
  • I've made an 11th hour decision to go. Must be mad.
  • Fancy this now but U21 ticket rises by £7 on the day to £22 quid, how can they justify this? Why do clubs do this?