Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matt Spring A Pointless Player And Waste Of Money?

Recently a lot of people on here have been suggesting that Matt Spring play instead of Therry Racon, I don't have any qualms with Racon being dropped but I do have a problem if it was for Spring. Since he arrived at The Valley his only real highlight was getting a winner against Crystal Palarse and let's be honest with the awful season we were having it didn't have the same feeling as the previous years wins. Now I'm not a fan of Spring at all and he had arguably one of the worst debuts ever against Forest last year, he doesn't dominate a midfield or offer creativity either. Granted he can on his day be a tidy player and he did have a good game when we played Leeds away this season but to be honest I would see no difference in recalling Dean Sinclair and giving him a game and I think we could even benefit by loaning out Spring so we can bring in a goalkeeper and/or striker that we really need right now.

Comments

• Anyone know what we paid for Spring? Has Raccon being playing recently? Sorry, didn't notice!!!
  • I agree , he is probably the only player who another L1 team may want .It seems Moo2 is unloved.

A 28 day loan may also give him some games and if we did make the play offs then he could return with some match practice.
  • from what I saw the other night he'd get a game for Juve.
  • Haha good one there Large, I think even Akpo and Mooney would as well with how bad we've been but Juve is a seperate issue lol!
  • Spring for me is Mr Average. Nothing special but does a decent job when called upon, if we stay down in League 1 could be a decent player next season dependant on contracts.

Not sure about Sinclair but it is possible we could start next season without Bailey, Shelvey, Racon and Semedo so we could need Spring/Sinclair
  • He never really does much, but then again he never really does much wrong either. He's just an average lower league player. Get used to him though because when Bailey, Racon and Shelvey leave he'll be the mainstay of our midfield!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]He never really does much, but then again he never really does much wrong either. He's just an average lower league player. Get used to him though because when Bailey, Racon and Shelvey leave he'll be the mainstay of our midfield!![/quote]

Rather sell him to be honest, just can't get over how unbuilt he is for an athlete, really should hit the gym and eat some steak! Dave Mooney should do the same as well! lol
  • I like Spring when he plays, seems to go under most peoples radars (cough Parky) but can have a nice strike on him and at times that's all we lack, a nice strike to win us a few games outside of the area (when Baileys not on form..)

Even as an impact sub (with Shelvey for example)
  • The title is very harsh and i like spring yeah maybe a bit average but is hardworking and doesnt really put a foot wrong.
  • Spring should be playing at the moment! only semedo is playing well enough to start in our midfield at the moment! Bailey has been off form for a while! needs a kick up the butt like he had before the MK DONS game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a fan of Spring, but unfortunately if we don't go up I suspect he could be one of our first choice midfielders
  • I think Spring is okay and a more than decent player at this level, given the waywardness of our other midfielders I am surprised he hasn't had more of a look in. The others have more potential but often fail to deliver, whereas I reckon Spring is a tidy reliable player.
  • Already been said, he's tidy, doesn't do much wrong but doesn't add a great deal either. Similar to Holland really and was probably a bit cheaper when it comes to wages. Kind of found his role here as back up for Semedo, as sitting back doesn't suit Shelvey, Bailey or Racon. Of course we don't need Semedo there in certain games so have got away with a much more attacking partnership in Bailey and Racon.
  • Only a pointless player by virtue of the fact that he is never selected to play. It's a lot of money to pay someone just to visit the odd school occasionally or sign a few autographs.
    He could actually bring some composure and balance to the team. He has a great shot from long distance, something nobody else is prepared to try ATM. As for passing, I've seen few better than the ball he put through for Llera for the last gasp equaliser against Swindon.
  • Let's face it, but for one or two exceptions none of us are fans of many of the players right now....the team and the club yes....but 'not' most of ther players.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I think Spring is okay and a more than decent player at this level, given the waywardness of our other midfielders I am surprised he hasn't had more of a look in. The others have more potential but often fail to deliver, whereas I reckon Spring is a tidy reliable player.

I'm with you, he has got to offer more the Racon seriously how do people rate this guy?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Let's face it, but for one or two exceptions none of us are fans of many of the players right now....the team and the club yes....but 'not' most of ther players.[/quote]

That's a very valid point and perhaps why some people are not afraid to boo them. Apart from Sam, none of them have spent much time at the club. Too many changes too quickly, mainly thanks to Pardew. How can we relate to them? A few years ago there were maybe three changes to the playing squad each season with the majority having been at the club for a good few seasons. Parky and the players need to prove to the fans that they care about the club, but whenever they have the opportunity, such as at Millwall, they let us down.
  • how can people judge matt spring when the fella doesnt even get a chance ok not the greatest player from what ive seen of him but i will say this he knows his level and to me he keeps things simple unlike racon who thinks he is playing for real madrid and f---s about too much for me.
  • In my reckoning Spring has done better than given credit for (when given the chance).

Anyone who was at Elland Road would have seen that he brought a lot of composure and calmness to the midfield and actually I felt he complimented Shelvey (who had his best game) and there was a better balance with him in. Also seem to remember him being instumental in the 2-2 draw with Swindon (down to 9 men).

I'm amazed that Spring can't get a game in this underperforming team, seems to me if your face don't fit, even with our fans who would rather stay on the Racon/Bailey bandwagon.
  • He did play well in the 9 men game, surprised he has not played more especially as he could be the calming influence we need.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't get how Bailey and Racon and Semedo are given chance after chance.

Spring is here (literally) PLAY HIM!
  • after Racons reaction at getting subbed i reckon Spring will be in on Saturday, looked like he went nutts in the dug out
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]after Racons reaction at getting subbed i reckon Spring will be in on Saturday, looked like he went nutts in the dug out

Well he needs to pull his head out his backside because games just seem to by pass him.
    I cannot for the life of me see that he offers a lot more than Spring yet the other guy dont get a look in
  • Amazing how times change, I still remember when Spring was just another stick to hit Parkinson with, nearly everyone was on the 'he's sh*t' bandwagon. If we drop Mooney for a while then he suddenly scores the goal that gets us second place, will everyone suddenly rate him too?
  • We always have a couple of players who are better when they're not playing. Dickson for one, while people on Your Views on the OS still go on about Yassin like he's a great player and it's all Parky's fault. For some reason it's easily forgotten that Bristol Rovers weren't impressed with Dickson and neither were Motherwell impressed with Yassin.

Spring can do a job but he's not going to turn our season around.
  • [cite]Posted By: SE23[/cite]Who is gonna buy Baily, Racon, Semedo and Shelvey? They have at best been better than average league 1 players but mostly just average league 1 players. Often outplayed by so called inferior players.

All of these players will perform much, much better once away from Pardkinson. FACT.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE23[/cite]Who is gonna buy Baily, Racon, Semedo and Shelvey? They have at best been better than average league 1 players but mostly just average league 1 players. Often outplayed by so called inferior players.

All of these players will perform much, much better once away from Pardkinson. FACT.
    Can anyone really confirm that, since we all watch players much more closely when they play for Charlton?

Looking at our squad last season, there are players that clearly haven't performed better under another manager. Zheng (can't get in Celtics team), Fortune (can't get in Sheff Utds team), Gray (not a regular at Barnsley). Moutaouakil didn't impress at Motherwell, neither did Dickson at Bristol Rovers. McLeod hasn't really done anything in his loans at Millwall or Peterborough when he started for them.

Of course there are exceptions, Ambrose for one, but that wasn't until he struggled at Ipswich, so perhaps his form is partly down to himself and having a completely fresh start. Hudson's probably done ok at Cardiff.

Be interesting to see where our current players end up next season if they leave, and how often they play.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Spring can do a job but he's not going to turn our season around.

How do you know?

He hasn't been given a decent run in the team, he could play the last 9 and be the turning point, balance the team a lot more than it is.

So do we stick with the same team then? Is that working any better for us?
  • I would not say he will turn our season around but could provide a calming influence in the side, adds experience and was a potential captain at one stage, so would provide good leadership.